Doyen and Dan Petrescu

21 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Without a doubt... Chelsea  had our pants down

Yes they did, but like a lot who followed Nillson, still didn't hit the same level.   Ok, so no one has since, but as a right back we HAVE had better than Petrescu since.   

1 minute ago, Salmonbones said:

Yes they did, but like a lot who followed Nillson, still didn't hit the same level.   Ok, so no one has since, but as a right back we HAVE had better than Petrescu since.   

It's all matter of opinion but I'd play him front of anyone.

For me he had everything you wish in a fullback, his vision was second to none, comfortable on the ball and could read a game better than most. Could find a pass. Was really disappointed when we sold him.

Seem to remember him playing against England and he was outstanding.

56 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Sterland was quality, but he wasn't an international player

Nilsson was world class

I remember Bobby Robson giving Sterland his international debut

Mel dropped a bolllock during the game

My mate said to me at the time, Robson won't pick him again after that, and he didn't

I wouldn't argue that nilsson was the more skilful but that don't get him in my best 11 over mel …..

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

It's all matter of opinion but I'd play him front of anyone.

For me he had everything you wish in a fullback, his vision was second to none, comfortable on the ball and could read a game better than most. Could find a pass. Was really disappointed when we sold him.

Seem to remember him playing against England and he was outstanding.

He would be brilliant now when full backs main role isn't to defend but back then it was, and well he wasn't very good at it. Pathetic in the tackle, physically weak and never fancied him in a 50/50. V good as a wing back in a 5 but not fit to lace Nilssons boots as a full back.

2 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

He would be brilliant now when full backs main role isn't to defend but back then it was, and well he wasn't very good at it. Pathetic in the tackle, physically weak and never fancied him in a 50/50. V good as a wing back in a 5 but not fit to lace Nilssons boots as a full back.

Maybe not as good as Nilsson but Nilsson would have to fight for his place if they were in the same squad.

Not many players dictate the game as a defender but Petrescu could and did.   

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Maybe not as good as Nilsson but Nilsson would have to fight for his place if they were in the same squad.

Not many players dictate the game as a defender but Petrescu could and did.   

If it was a fight for the right back spot it would be Muhammed Ali v Herbie Hide. Roland was genuinely world class, petrescu wasn't close to world class. 

Petrescu was never a conventional full back. He just didn't have enough of the defensive attributes necessary. But he was excellent when some of those responsibilities were taken from him by playing as a wing back or even in midfield.

When we were struggling in the last few months of Trevor Francis' tenure I remember him being substituted fairly early one game (perhaps just after half time) and most of the ground responding with some lusty booing. The manager had to explain afterwards that he'd been ill and was struggling to keep going. Not often you see that kind of reaction for someone playing in that position.

Shame he forced his way out of the club like he did, but that's the evils of agent and player power.