Article on The Athletic

43 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

We're becoming one of those grubby clubs that I was always glad we weren't. Pushing the rules to their limits, being unco-operative, not holding ourselves to a higher standard. What a shameful episode in the club's history that at the moment looks likely to result in relegation.

Incompetence of the most heinous kind.

whilst agreeing with you on many points, why on earth hold ourselves to higher standards than others? Sounds a bit sanctimonious to be honest

1 minute ago, cowl said:

You've not read the article then? It states this is what the EFL and some other Championship clubs want the punishment to be.

I'm sorry to be pedantic but

1. What they want it to be is not the same as it being decided what it is. 

2. The article is from an American owned magazine of dubious repute.

It might be 0, 9, 12, 21 or another number. We don't know. That's a fact.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kevan said:

We've known about this issue for some time of course, but it does re-emphasise the total incmpetence of DC and his advisors, or perhaps more likely the fact that he goes his own way despite advice.  To me it makes the betting scandal of the early 60s pale into insignificance.  

There might at least be a positive result longer term if DC is banned from operating as a director. Hopefully it might convince him to sell up, even ar a significant loss.  The state we are in now is certainly not what we expected when MM sold the club to DC. 

Let's be right, Mandaric would have sold us to Peter Sutcliffe if he'd turned up with the asking price in cash.

It was embarrassing enough to be repeatedly visiting the High Court for unpaid debts but those involved can at least point to all the external factors that were crushing us during those years (there was still plenty of incompetence involved however of course).

But this episode is something else entirely. All of the club's (or those representing it at least) own making. A reckless, short-sighted, all or nothing gamble with little thought for the possible consequences if the 'strategy' didn't work. With only 3 promotion places available between 24 clubs, the odds are obviously stacked against you in the first instance, and three of your rivals will have the ostensible advantage of Premier League players and bundles of money to spend in competition with you.

Until 2003, we had been in the third tier of football for only one short period of our entire history. This could now see the third time in the last 17 years. What a spectacular nosedive this club has seen in it's standing since the turn of the century.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Nero said:

I'm sorry to be pedantic but

1. What they want it to be is not the same as it being decided what it is. 

2. The article is from an American owned magazine of dubious repute.

It might be 0, 9, 12, 21 or another number. We don't know. That's a fact.

Quote one poster that isn't being hypothetical about a 21 point deduction.

It's unlikely it'd be more than 21 if that's all the EFL themselves are pursuing, so it's not unreasonable to hypothesise about worst-case scenarios.

5 minutes ago, Kevan said:

We've known about this issue for some time of course, but it does re-emphasise the total incmpetence of DC and his advisors, or perhaps more likely the fact that he goes his own way despite advice.  To me it makes the betting scandal of the early 60s pale into insignificance.  

There might at least be a positive result longer term if DC is banned from operating as a director. Hopefully it might convince him to sell up, even ar a significant loss.  The state we are in now is certainly not what we expected when MM sold the club to DC. 

MM is a very shrewd operator and was able to sell the dream to a newbie. Apparently new to business and the rule of law, never mind football. I don't think the next sale will be happening any time soon.

Good article that, gone into more detail than most news around it. I think we’re struggling, by the sounds of it - it will be a big points deduction if the EFL win and our main tactic is to delay things to make it difficult. Very risky, and in my opinion, stupid from us.

7 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

What were you doing? Fixing someone’s phone?

:tango:

Winding United fans up on Twitter

I'm not proud of myself. It's how I got my kicks during my exile

6 minutes ago, marble said:

whilst agreeing with you on many points, why on earth hold ourselves to higher standards than others? Sounds a bit sanctimonious to be honest

Maybe it is. But why shouldn't we hope that our club does not resort to dirty tricks like others have?

Just now, The only way is S6 said:

Why doesn’t anybody talk about us winning the case against the EFL about their charges being unlawful? Isn’t this best case scenario? Start next season in the Championship on zero points. 

Because no one thinks that's a likely outcome? 

Even if that is the end result, then I bet you a load of other clubs will be bringing legal action. 

6 minutes ago, Nero said:

Makes me chuckle when people on this thread say '21 point deduction' as if that's been decided.

its not been decided, no one is saying it is the final number, but its a possibility, Birmingham got 9 for breaking FFP we've took it one step further, The EFL and other teams are wanting a example to be made of us, would you want to risk it going into another season on a minimum of 9 points to a maximum of 21? it would be a complete waste of season if we got the full 21 points. If its 9 points then why don't we just take the hit? why drag it out? The only reason that seems viable for dragging it out because they believe the punishment will be minimal if nothing at all. Chansiri and Co must be very confident in what proof they have or they're just very silly and playing a risky game.

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

It's all a bit grubby, isn't it?

From us, to the EFL, to those wanting us to get whacked with a 21 point deduction. 

What a mess. This one will rumble and rumble. 

Indeed.

The motives for the likes of Middlesbrough and Hull are plain enough. Wonder if they'd be campaigning quite so hard if we were on 75 points?

3 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Why doesn’t anybody talk about us winning the case against the EFL about their charges being unlawful? Isn’t this best case scenario? Start next season in the Championship on zero points. 

Aye, because we’ve got a good track record at winning stuff.

lol

• Haha 2

If we get 21 points deducted, lets just have it now and get on with it. If we manage to survive this season, what good is 21 points off next desson. Same result. 21 points in any sesson means relegation. The future is grim whatever happens.

1 minute ago, The only way is S6 said:

Because it seems extremely unlikely, companies are always going to try and defend themselves even when they've been caught red-handed. 

If we do go down this season then the one positive at least is that a lot of high earners and deadwood are out of contract. Would mean we could at least start to assemble a squad that can try and get us promoted next season. 

Starting 2020/21 on a points deduction would make next season a complete waste of time, we'd have no chance of survival when you consider the budget we'd have to work with.