Owls Loyal

Why does it always go wrong for Monk?

22 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

This is a difficult question to answer as it always seems to fall apart for Monk after a promising start:

Swansea

Monk started well but a run of 1 win in 11 games saw this Swansea stalwart fired as the team fell to fifteenth place in the table just outside the relegation places.

Leeds United

Monk's teams were a fixture in the Play Off positions until it all fell apart in the last half dozen games.  Leeds finished 7th and outside the Play Off places with Monk resigning to go to Boro.

Those who went to Ipswich following SWFC will recall the constant rendering of the "Leeds, Leeds are falling apart again" anthem.

Middlesborough

Monk was allowed to spend huge sums in ther summer in a bid to secure promotion.  Monk though fell out with players and Chairman and was fired after 5 months.

Birmingham

Monk produced some decent results particularly given the points deduction imposed on the club but the Chairman fired him at the end of the season.  The reason for his dismissal remains unclear.

Sheffield Wednesday

Monk made a decent start and got some good results initially although performances were poor in general.  Post Xmas results nosedived, the performances became shambolic and the team is in complete free fall.

What I do not understand is why does this always seem to happen with Monk?

Most alarming is the fact that as a manager he has never been able to turn a slump in form round.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say it's because he isn't a very good manager, having said that any manager would be set to fail under the current regime hence why we didn't appoint a proven manager after Bruce left. 

Posted (edited)

If you look into the actual spending habits of Boro after they went up, and subsequently came down, you’d see Monk was far from the problem. He’s just being used as a convenient fall guy by Gibson and the managers that have failed there since.

I read with Brum, aswell as the Jota transfer mentioned above, he was also sacked for questioning the owners opinion on style of play etc. Basically the owner wanted them playing like Barcelona and Monk said he clearly had no clue what the team were capable of. As he said when we played them last month, Clotet has now reverted back to how he had them set up after trying, and failing, to play pretty football. 

As for Leeds. Cellino was his chairman, and then Radrizanni came in with his own ideas iirc. You wouldn’t call Stuart Gray a bad manager because DC sacked him.

Then I’m sure most Swansea fans pin the blame for their demise on the new American owners they got, and the fact they ripped out everything that had made them successful before. 

Edited by NeonLeon

22 hours ago, Wednesday Fan said:

and it’s lovely to be in a big crowd of people who are actually having a good time and even laughing!

Coronavirus!

His personality is such, that, like Mourinho, he is constantly falling out with people. Unlike Mourinho, his tactics don’t achieve results, but his teams are equally boring to watch

22 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

This is a difficult question to answer as it always seems to fall apart for Monk after a promising start:

It's really not; he's a poo manager.

So I get a new job taking over a dept that’s ticking along and just needs a bit of tweaking to take it to the next level. So I leave it ticking along for a bit but instead of going to the next level people think what I’m doing is stupid. Some leave others stop performing. And I blame everyone else til I get sacked. 
I get another job.....do you see where I’m going with this?

As soon as he starts to put his own mark on it... it goes to rat poo. 

1 hour ago, trevdi9 said:

there is more to it from Middlesborough and leeds if you care to look into it , and Swansea according to a link I read elsewhere was down to bad man management 

Never said there wasn’t more to his departures? I was merely talking about one of the reasons he left Birmingham.

However what more was there to him leaving Leeds? They put out a statement saying they “reluctantly” accept his resignation. Nothing more to that than Middlesbrough were hovering. 

Imo it goes wrong for most managers at every club they go too, which is why in the end they get sacked. 

10 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Never said there wasn’t more to his departures? I was merely talking about one of the reasons he left Birmingham.

However what more was there to him leaving Leeds? They put out a statement saying they “reluctantly” accept his resignation. Nothing more to that than Middlesbrough were hovering. 

you will have to read up on it , sorry but it be right to discuss on here 

5 minutes ago, trevdi9 said:

you will have to read up on it , sorry but it be right to discuss on here 

but it won't be right to discuss on here sorry 

I do not not always agree 100% with gurujuan but I found his post very thought-provoking re Monk:

"His personality is such, that, like Mourinho, he is constantly falling out with people. Unlike Mourinho, his tactics don’t achieve results, but his teams are equally boring to watch."

23 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

He appears to be an unlucky manager

Something we can ill afford at this time.

Unlucky is actually spelt incompetent

It's hard to defend a manager who left Forestieri on the bench and started da cruz and pelupessy at Brentford. 

That was the final straw for me.

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 14:49, Owls Loyal said:

Swansea

Monk started well but a run of 1 win in 11 games saw this Swansea stalwart fired as the team fell to fifteenth place in the table just outside the relegation places.

Leeds United

Monk's teams were a fixture in the Play Off positions until it all fell apart in the last half dozen games.  Leeds finished 7th and outside the Play Off places with Monk resigning to go to Boro.

Those who went to Ipswich following SWFC will recall the constant rendering of the "Leeds, Leeds are falling apart again" anthem.

Middlesborough

Monk was allowed to spend huge sums in ther summer in a bid to secure promotion.  Monk though fell out with players and Chairman and was fired after 5 months.

Birmingham

Monk produced some decent results particularly given the points deduction imposed on the club but the Chairman fired him at the end of the season.  The reason for his dismissal remains unclear.

Sheffield Wednesday

Monk made a decent start and got some good results initially although performances were poor in general.  Post Xmas results nosedived, the performances became shambolic and the team is in complete free fall.

Most alarming is the fact that as a manager he has never been able to turn a slump in form round.

You just have to look at his beliefs and methods. There is a pattern there and it seems to be Monk rather than teams.

He may not be the cause of our problems but he is escalating the issues and if IMO we don't ger rid asap he will have a relegation on his CV, which is already not looking great.

• Like 1

The problem isnt the manager it's the bloke who employs them .....gray was decent and chansiri gets him 3 players no ones heard of and havnt since and then sacks him for some unknown reason to bring in his advisors man .they chuck money at it and carlos nearly does it but ultimately  fails .the next 3 havnt a prayer the players are older but on good contracts so ain't going anywhere till they run out  ,the monies dried up and we can only sign freebies the fans are wazzed off..... We could  sack monk tonight and nothing will change .

I see what you are saying and agree that are other major problems at the club.

However Dutch McLovin summed it up for me when commenting:

Monk "may not be the cause of our problems but he is escalating the issues and if IMO we don't ger rid asap he will have a relegation on his CV, which is already not looking great."

The key word for me is that Monk is escalting our problems not easing them.

1 minute ago, Owls Loyal said:

I see what you are saying and agree that are other major problems at the club.

However Dutch McLovin summed it up for me when commenting:

Monk "may not be the cause of our problems but he is escalating the issues and if IMO we don't ger rid asap he will have a relegation on his CV, which is already not looking great."

The key word for me is that Monk is escalting our problems not easing them.

Sack him then

Im sure the person responsible for finding the next manager is a competent person who doesn’t fail when it comes to landing the right man so let’s trust him to do so

(again)

On 10/03/2020 at 14:49, Owls Loyal said:

Swansea

Leeds United

Middlesborough

Birmingham

Sheffield Wednesday

Funny though looking at news comments from fans it appears most really thought he was an excellent manager,Not sure about  the Swansea job though.

3 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Imo it goes wrong for most managers at every club they go too, which is why in the end they get sacked. 

Competent or successful managers at all levels, usually last more than a season. The likes of Wenger and Ferguson are rare but it usually takes a couple of windows till they really have their own imprint but Monk hasn't lasted anywhere longer than a year, mostly living off the previous managers work and partly losing his way once he starts putting his own ideas across.

Reminds me of Carlos, who went through similar patterns but at least he achieved something and could manage to turn around bad spells and get going again, even though he ultimately lived off the players we already had and couldn't integrate the new players into the failed play off campaigns team, which like Monk is a recipe for short termism and failure.

Yes, there are far bigger issues here than just the manager but the likes of Monk, don't help themselves, when they fall out with players, seem unable to succeed with their own imprint or ethos and job hop on a yearly basis.