Dom on SWFC’s recruitment process and David Bates

Jordan Leigh asks: David Bates? Who signed him, why has he been nowhere near first team squad? 

DH: The recruitment team.

The team work together to identify potential transfer targets, but ultimately Chansiri has the final say on all deals.

RE Bates, I am a bit baffled that he has been frozen out along with Westwood and Hutchinson.

Clearly he has not done enough to impress Monk in training.

But it is a strange one when you think Wednesday have one less player in that department after selling Jordan Thorniley in January and Wednesday have been conceding goals for fun this year.

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Jordan Leigh asks: David Bates? Who signed him, why has he been nowhere near first team squad? 

DH: The recruitment team.

The team work together to identify potential transfer targets, but ultimately Chansiri has the final say on all deals.

RE Bates, I am a bit baffled that he has been frozen out along with Westwood and Hutchinson.

Clearly he has not done enough to impress Monk in training.

But it is a strange one when you think Wednesday have one less player in that department after selling Jordan Thorniley in January and Wednesday have been conceding goals for fun this year.

What recruitment team?

As i put in another thread

Asked @footballtyper on twitter about Doyen and Paixo.

Said Doyen have 0% involvement in player recruitment.

Says players are selected by manager / HOR but suggestions can come from other places. Says Paixo checks if player is available then up to Redgate or Chairmen to ok the finances.

If this is how it works, then the managers have picked some poor players and the chairmen/ Redgate are the ones handing out the big contracts. 

I'm still convinced we need a more experienced manager or DOF.

1 minute ago, jonnyowl said:

Says players are selected by manager / HOR but suggestions can come from other places. Says Paixo checks if player is available then up to Redgate or Chairmen to ok the finances.

If this is how it works, then the managers have picked some poor players and the chairmen/ Redgate are the ones handing out the big contracts. 

Suggestions can come from other places? Like a fortune cookie?

So our managers have picked all our players?

Rhodes

Urby?

All the wingers we loaned and never played

If our managers picked signings how come we havent recruited any CM's in about 4 years? Are they all blind?

Just now, billyblack said:

Suggestions can come from other places? Like a fortune cookie?

So our managers have picked all our players?

Rhodes

Urby?

All the wingers we loaned and never played

If our managers picked signings how come we havent recruited any CM's in about 4 years? Are they all blind?

Well this is why i think there is obviously more cloak and dagger going on at our club than we are led to believe.

I don't believe for one minute that Monk wanted Wickham or Da Cruz.

Think its more like Paxio telling Monk who is available so pick from the list.

Just now, jonnyowl said:

Well this is why i think there is obviously more cloak and dagger going on at our club than we are led to believe.

Cloak and dagger definitely. Its just garbage. Put a proper team in place FFS, DC. Its like watching an episode of steptoe and son.

Don’t really agree that we must have an experienced manager

What we need is a good manager who chooses the players they want to sign to make a his team.

Then there is only one bloke to blame when it goes Pete tong.  

A DOF is alright, but at the end of the day it needs to be the manager who chooses what players he wants 

44 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Maybe so, but the fans on here sure did, pages about signing him in the Jan window.

1 hour ago, jonnyowl said:

Well I listened to Connor Wickham actually say that Gary Monk spoke to him, said he really wanted him and this convinced him to come to the club.

I think on balance I believe Connor rather than your 'cloak and dagger' conspiracy theory.

43 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Don’t really agree that we must have an experienced manager

What we need is a good manager who chooses the players they want to sign to make a his team.

Then there is only one bloke to blame when it goes Pete tong.  

A DOF is alright, but at the end of the day it needs to be the manager who chooses what players he wants 

Agree with most of that but a DOF should set the tone for what we are trying to achieve both short term and long term and have a strategy to achieve that. In my view anyway.

Like when the kids are in sweet shop and want a huge bar of chocolate or kinder egg and you tell them they can have a chomp or a freddo 

I think Paixio is effective our DOF, not officially of course.

Guest oz_owl
2 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Monk has been quoted as saying that Da Cruz was a player he'd been tracking for a long time.  So you can believe he didn't want him if you want to, but he's said outright that he did.