Worst time you have seen?

The 70s were so bad.

I remember trying to get on the  kop aged 14 for the dec man u game.. 4-4

There was a mass scrap on the ramp that went up the kop so i decided to go on the south instead.

When you were a kid back then ( pre social media ) you were just happy to be going and didnt pay any regard to how the club was doing.

i was at the lowest ever attendance match... and the match where we scored after going god knows how long without scoring( the opposition manager said he had never heard a roar like it.)

Football goes in cycles and whatever this seasons outcome we will come back stronger..

8 hours ago, Bez said:

What’s the worst run/period of time you have experienced as a Wednesday fan?

For me, the current run is third worst. 

First would be when we nearly went bust and were in court. 

Second would be when we didn’t score for game after game.  Think Chris Eagles broke that run.  Can’t remember when it was exactly - anyone remember?

The Chris Eagles goal was away at Burnley on New Year’s Eve in 2005. We won that game 2-1.

We’d gone 7 games without scoring.

I was at that game at Burnley away and this is miles worse. Even though we’d gone ages without scoring (and we had Barry Corr playing up front) the spirit among the fans was still good. We’d only just been promoted back to the championship that year with no real budget so none of us were expecting to be up there.

I can remember no one knew how to celebrate when Eagles scored... we couldn’t believe we’d actually scored.

We then signed Burton and Tudgay in January. It’ll be close in terms of points but as a fan going to games in the 2005-06 season it was better then than it is now 

So to summarise...

• You all have wildly ridiculous expectations
  • You all want to spend Chansiri's millions for him
  • Not one of you is grateful that Chansiri has spent millions on the club you love
  • No one is remotely grateful for the adventure we have been on for a few years, after nearly not existing
  • You all think getting rid of him will be easy and a better chairman waits around the corner
  • You are all losing interest because the team you claim to support isn't winning every game

Understood

Oh, if you are looking for the downvote button, its somewhere over there -------------->

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Bez said:

So to summarise...

• You all have wildly ridiculous expectations
  • You all want to spend Chansiri's millions for him
  • Not one of you is grateful that Chansiri has spent millions on the club you love
  • No one is remotely grateful for the adventure we have been on for a few years, after nearly not existing
  • You all think getting rid of him will be easy and a better chairman waits around the corner
  • You are all losing interest because the team you claim to support isn't winning every game

Understood

Oh, if you are looking for the downvote button, its somewhere over there -------------->

Unfortunately there isn't a total idiot button.

2 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

The Chris Eagles goal was away at Burnley on New Year’s Eve in 2005. We won that game 2-1.

We’d gone 7 games without scoring.

I was at that game at Burnley away and this is miles worse. Even though we’d gone ages without scoring (and we had Barry Corr playing up front) the spirit among the fans was still good. We’d only just been promoted back to the championship that year with no real budget so none of us were expecting to be up there.

I can remember no one knew how to celebrate when Eagles scored... we couldn’t believe we’d actually scored.

We then signed Burton and Tudgay in January. It’ll be close in terms of points but as a fan going to games in the 2005-06 season it was better then than it is now 

I turned up about 5 minutes after kick off and missed the opening goal. Remember Coughlans powerful header to make it two, mainly because of Weaver turning around and celebrating big time.

This is nothing compared to the one win in seventeen. 6 points, doomed to relegation on boxing day in the premier league. A strike force of Sibon, Booth, De Bilde and Cresswell (no wonder why we scored fifteen goals up till the Boro win on Boxing day). Fifteen goals, with five of those in one game! That summer trying to sign Dani, Michael Mols, Egil Ostenstad, Henrik Larsson etc - we end up with two players guaranteed to be in the worst premiership signings XI squad easily. 

Then the silly 'return to the premiership season tickets' when it was clearly obvious there was no chance we would be coming back up. Even the early hope when we didn't put in that bad performances v Blackburn, Wolves and Grimsby - the writing was clearly on the wall we'd struggle. First team players who refused to play but didn't want to go on loan because of their dogs as an example. Managers usually hate being sacked but from what I remember reading, Paul Jewell was relieved it was over given the toxic atmosphere at the club.

Even worse was to follow with the 2010/11 season. The magnificent chairman walking out at the start of the season, tax debts increasing, almost going out of business and then a side with players who a few seasons ago finished mid table, were on the receiving end of being outplayed by Leyton Orient, Carlisle United and Exeter City. On top of that, a manager who was more scared of Hereford United's right back than setting up a side to attack the opposition. 

2003/04 season we accepted we were rubbish and players needed removing from the club. It feels like this is that season (hopefully without being relegated). Then in the summer, no contracts to all players out of contract and then start a fresh again. Even if we end up being battered 3-0 at home on the opening day of the season to Derby County

15 hours ago, Bez said:

Second would be when we didn’t score for game after game.  Think Chris Eagles broke that run.  Can’t remember when it was exactly - anyone remember?

1999 to present, its one long run (momentarily paused for 2 seasons under CC, which still had to end in typical Wednesday style).  

The seasons when Carbone and Di Canio left, realistically they were the last good players we’ve had. 

Edited by Rogers

I've never known anything different, I was born in 1993 so my only real memories are from 99 onwards.

To think some of you have seen us in Europe and competing well in the Premier League with good players pains me.

12 hours ago, Dexter Morgan said:

Craig Armstrong 

Richard Evans 

Ola Tidman 

Ritchie Partridge 

Chris Sedgwick

Danny Maddix 

say no more 

this is no where near as bad as that, week in week out absolute trash 

You are right that the players we have at the moment are comfortably better on paper than those you have listed, but in someways make the present situation worse.

Before, relegation from the prem and what coincided after, including 2 relegations to league one, I was either too young to fully comprehend what was happening, and only slightly older where I didn't actually give a sh*t because it was mainly about the crack and getting drunk with mates having a laugh ..

This is probably the most worrying period for me before it becomes the worst .. I don't actually know what is going on with the club when before, even though we were saddled with a huge debt, most supporters knew the future of the club and that we were treading water safely .. now we simply do not know what is going to happen with  the club .. everything seems to be up in the air .. shambles

20 hours ago, Mickjj said:

From a football standpoint nothing compares with the 1974/75 season. The 1-0 win at  Southampton the day after boxing day was our last win of the five we had that season plus we only scored twice more. Crowds of around 7,000 average made it worse. The only bright spot were the away days which were some of the best I've ever been on.

Agree - brilliant away days. Reckon must have been one of the few who saw our 2 goals after the December 28th Southampton win. Fulham away was a midweek game in February and there were very few Owls there. Wild celebrations when Joicey (I think) got the only other goal that season v Oxford at Hillsborough on 19th April. 2 goals between December 28th 1974 and season end. 

Funnily enough we were 2 up at Chelsea though in the FA Cup 3rd round - you can guess the final score.

50 minutes ago, sheffix said:

Agree - brilliant away days. Reckon must have been one of the few who saw our 2 goals after the December 28th Southampton win. Fulham away was a midweek game in February and there were very few Owls there. Wild celebrations when Joicey (I think) got the only other goal that season v Oxford at Hillsborough on 19th April. 2 goals between December 28th 1974 and season end. 

Funnily enough we were 2 up at Chelsea though in the FA Cup 3rd round - you can guess the final score.

I wasn't at the Fulham game but went to Stamford Bridge which wasn't the smartest thing to do back then😄.  I remember Joicey's tongue in cheek comment after the Oxford match " I'm lethal from six inches" lol

• Haha 1

Most of the years between 1969 - 1977 I would say...lowest crowds ever, poorest team ever, never challenging for promotion from any of the divisions. I suppose things began to look up after the BDM.

The days of the mighty Harold Wilcockson at right back, the days of Dave Clements and Brian Joicey being big signings and the days of pinning all your match winning hopes on the shoulders of one man...Tommy Craig!

23 hours ago, Bez said:

1973 -77.

We were in a proper state then, the club could not even afford a grounds man, a fan volunteered to do the job and had to pay for petrol out of his own pocket.

But every cloud has a sliver lining, and Steve Burtenshaw had the fore sight to set up a Youth development system that discovered and produced our own young players, to help to turn our fotunes around.

Saddly, Wilkinson scrapped the Youth system to plough the money into the 1st team, the rest, as they say, is history.