Worst time you have seen?

Started following in the early 90’s, so the worst times for me were obviously the relegations to League One and almost losing the club to the HMRC.

I don’t know what’s worse between now and then. The players are objectively a higher standard, although I consider the current application, attitude and work rate to be f*cking disgusting and think they’re a lying, arrogant, pathetic bunch of spineless c*nts. On balance I guess I’d rather watch Michael Reddy and Brian Barry-Murphy. 

What I’ll also add is that I cared more back then. It doesn’t feel like my club at the minute. I feel like my patience, my time, my enthusiasm, has been stretched to such a degree that it’s just numb these days. And I don’t know if it’ll ever come back. That’s been a rapid regression over a relatively short space of time, and all during Chansiri’s ownership. 

I enjoyed going more, went more, spent more time talking and thinking about the club, and loved the club more when we were actually, REALLY crap. The current Sheffield Wednesday feels like it’s rubbing my face in it and taking the f*cking p*ss out of me. 

• Like 1

It feels worse today because the general approach these days is to overreact for dramatic effect. Not just us either.

Earlier this year we were at our highest league position (outside of August) for 20 years. It was still crap though apparently.

And when we lost those games over Xmas everybody who knew we were crap really was right and everybody started blaming each other and fell out and oh......

6 minutes ago, Nero said:

Earlier this year we were at our highest league position (outside of August) for 20 years. It was still crap though apparently.

And? 

Since then we’ve lost 5-0 twice, won 2 in 14, lost to just about everybody in the relegation shakeup, have seen inept garbage performance after inept garbage performance, and have played our way into an expected 12 deduction putting us in the bottom 3.

How much cache does being 3rd at Christmas buy for you? Will you remember that when we’re in League One?

11 minutes ago, Nero said:

Whoop de do. 

Let's get the streamers out and bake another cakeball. 

2 hours ago, danblakemore said:

Worst time was the run around the time we couldn't beat Yeovil at home.

My fave time as a fan.  Yeovil away in League 1.  0-0 to D&R away.

That first League One season was alot of fun despite being sh*t

1 hour ago, Nero said:

It feels worse today because the general approach these days is to overreact for dramatic effect. Not just us either.

And when we lost those games over Xmas everybody who knew we were crap really was right and everybody started blaming each other and fell out and oh......

You have to be DC's son.

No other possible explanation.

• Haha 3

I think this is the worst of the lot right now, in context, when you consider how dramatically we’ve self-destructed. We’re not just losing games, we’re consistently getting hammered. This is the first time I can remember that I’ve actually questioned whether our players are losing games on purpose. 

2 hours ago, Mickjj said:

From a football standpoint nothing compares with the 1974/75 season. The 1-0 win at  Southampton the day after boxing day was our last win of the five we had that season plus we only scored twice more. Crowds of around 7,000 average made it worse. The only bright spot were the away days which were some of the best I've ever been on.

Agree fully Mick this is amust read article about those seasons UTO

http://magicspongers.blogspot.com/2011/12/runs-5-sheffield-wednesday-1974-76.html?m=1

13 minutes ago, Castleford Owl said:

I think this is the worst of the lot right now, in context, when you consider how dramatically we’ve self-destructed. We’re not just losing games, we’re consistently getting hammered. This is the first time I can remember that I’ve actually questioned whether our players are losing games on purpose. 

This.

Honestly, some of the stuff going on makes me wonder.

• Like 1

Guest Jack the Hat

Although young I remember the 70s and 80s when we spent a record 5 years in div 3 and nearly went through the trap door. But when we came up we were strong and had charlton as manager( that was a coup) and Curran as star player (an even bigger coup). When promoted we always looked like going upwards and would have been promoted sooner had they not switched to 3 points for a win. That whole period from relegation lasted 13 years and included 2 promotions a semi final and the BDM. The first 13 years after 2000 we were relegated to league 1 twice and finished in the top half of the Championship only ONCE!! Make no mistake this is our darkest time and we are now in the wilderness for 20 years and counting. We are lacking the inspiration of a Charlton and Curran. But for the first time in my life we are lacking hope. That is the worst part.

4 hours ago, BRADDO said:

I agree. I currently hate going. However I have a very enthusiastic 6 year old son who loves going to matches. I started going as an 8 year old in 1978. My nan took me and she had seen us win the FA Cup in 1935, the superb side in the 60s etc. She always talked about Mark Hooper and Don Megson as her favourite players. As a dad I reflect on this. My nan must have thought we were watching absolute dross in 1978. Not me, I loved it and my boy does. So I take him even though I don't want to go. This is how it is and probably always has been. 

That’s a brilliant answer.

Lots to be proud of in that post.

Shame the performances on the pitch don’t compare to the multi generational performance of our fans.

• Thanks 1

I started going to games aged 10 in the late eighties like a lot in their early fourties I grew up with Pearson, Hirst, Waddle, Sheridan, after the 1994 world we were signing international world cup players such as Ingersson, Petrescu, Jonk, Alexanderson. After that talent like DiCanio and Carbone we went head to head with Barcelona to try and sign players.

I now see back then I was spoilt with the quality of players we had, we always were competitive and had Ron stayed longer in his second stint instead of Wilson we could have seen the best of DiCanio instead of West ham.

The last 20 years have bar 3 seasons been painful. The chance of us going into administration for £1.1m tax Bill was probably the lowest point. But seeing how DC has completely balls up over the last 5 years is tough to take.

They play offs team needs 2 or 3 players and a few of the loans being made perminant, but for a very stubborn chairman, we would have had the riches of the premier league for at least one season, if not have been there for the last few season.

2 hours ago, Nero said:

This league is horrifically poor and Fletcher was in a massive purple patch of form.

Bar the Forest game we didn’t exactly blow anyone away. Or dominate.

Im not saying that I saw THIS coming. But I did keep saying that we didn’t have the bottle or nerve or quality for a sustained promotion push.

We benefitted from all the other clubs around us struggling and that everything that Fletcher touched turned to gold. 

24 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I started going to games aged 10 in the late eighties like a lot in their early fourties I grew up with Pearson, Hirst, Waddle, Sheridan, after the 1994 world we were signing international world cup players such as Ingersson, Petrescu, Jonk, Alexanderson. After that talent like DiCanio and Carbone we went head to head with Barcelona to try and sign players.

I now see back then I was spoilt with the quality of players we had, we always were competitive and had Ron stayed longer in his second stint instead of Wilson we could have seen the best of DiCanio instead of West ham.

The last 20 years have bar 3 seasons been painful. The chance of us going into administration for £1.1m tax Bill was probably the lowest point. But seeing how DC has completely balls up over the last 5 years is tough to take.

They play offs team needs 2 or 3 players and a few of the loans being made perminant, but for a very stubborn chairman, we would have had the riches of the premier league for at least one season, if not have been there for the last few season.

How the hell have your family put up with 30 plus years of your crushing negativity?