I think the biggest challenge for the chairman now is

10 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

The only challenge Chansiri is now bothered about us seeing how much of his money he can get back.

Certainly explains the 10 year season ticket, and the ridiculous promise that it's valid for at least 15 years, and won't start until we get promoted. Basically, an attempt to make something as appealing as possible, so he can claw back as much cash as possible. 

It also explains why he didn't use the freed up salaries of Bruce, Agnew, and Clemence, plus the £2m compensation, to hire proper coaching staff. 

Frightening. 

33 minutes ago, Nero said:

You said it was the tyre not the truck  - that's cheating!

You cant change metaphors mid argument to suit your point of view.

lol

Hate it when people mix metaphors

It's not exactly rocket surgery

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

This is where football knowledge, experience, nous, a streetwise outlook, and man management come into play

All things he has demonstrated he is very poor at.

Personality transplant required. 

DC’s biggest challenge by far is getting fans back down to S6:

He has made it as difficult as he possibly can for fans to go down there.

Either stump up £600 half way through the previous season or stay away, seems to be his way of doing things. Fans can’t POTG If they fancy going down on impulse.

I had a season ticket for 45 years, but illness stopped me going regularly, the last three seasons I had one, only got to 5/6 games each season, ( made it VERY expensive). I could go occasionally now, but can’t make my mind up to go until I see how I am on the day. 

It’s far too much hassle. I haven’t been down to Hillsborough for nearly three years. Really miss going, even to watch this gash.

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I think the biggest challenge for the chairman right now is that we are in a position this season where the answer ISN’T to throw money at it.

In fact there’s no real way he CAN throw money at it to fix 

That’s the challenge for him.

Throwing cash at problems is something he is very familiar with and knows how to do.

This is where football knowledge, experience, nous, a streetwise outlook, and man management come into play.

On top of that there needs to be a huge communication strategy to keep fans quiet/happier during tough times too.

He can’t/isn’t allowed to throw money at it this season to stop the rot, stop the losses, and keep us up.

He's on his hols? Biggest challenge will be which trunks to put on. UTO.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

We are talking between now, and the end of this season though

eg to prevent us getting relegated

The relegation issue is a real one and the problem is that the quality and mentality of our team right now is so bad, that under the extra threat of relegation, things could and probably will, as I have said several times before, get very much worse.

If you look at the teams we have put out and who has performed, or under-performed Monk must feel at times like the only way he can really change things is by dropping pretty much everybody and playing an under 23 team with a few first teamers in it. Jos tried bringing several younger players into the team with varying levels of success, but again the unpredictability of our "first team" players form and their individual mistake making expertise, makes it a nightmare for a manager, with not many players having more than a couple of games in succession without either a huge drop in form, or a huge rise in their number of costly mistakes.

55 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It’s the truck that’s faulty and a crash is inevitable

A bit of metal has come loose on the truck and stabbed into the tyre

The truck is hurtling downhill towards the edge of a cliff

Youre suggesting hanging out of the truck and changing the tyre as it speeds towards the cliff edge at 120 miles per hour 

ps the truck is fully laden with a hundred tonnes of concrete, and the indicators are flashing like mad

Have you been watching, or taking speed?

8 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

The relegation issue is a real one and the problem is that the quality and mentality of our team right now is so bad, that under the extra threat of relegation, things could and probably will, as I have said several times before, get very much worse.

If you look at the teams we have put out and who has performed, or under-performed Monk must feel at times like the only way he can really change things is by dropping pretty much everybody and playing an under 23 team with a few first teamers in it. Jos tried bringing several younger players into the team with varying levels of success, but again the unpredictability of our "first team" players form and their individual mistake making expertise, makes it a nightmare for a manager, with not many players having more than a couple of games in succession without either a huge drop in form, or a huge rise in their number of costly mistakes.

Were the varying levels from bad to worse?

2 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Absolutely spot on !!! In fact, just to add to this, Bannan himself stated that everyone has had a fair chance, so as you rightly say, what does Monk do if everyone he puts in to try and garner a result fails.

I think Monk has tried to find his best team, but individually and collectively it just has not worked.

I do think that we will be relegated, EFL points deduction aside, but who, out of our squad could you genuinely say you believe is up for the fight to try and stave that off?

It is far too easy to blame Monk, who as a manager will probably get the boot, but the players have to accept a huge amount of criticism as well.

He has to deal with the here and now.

We could go down without a points deduction so that needs to be addressed NOW. Which to me there is only one answer sacking Monk and getting someone/anyone to get enough of a tune out of what he has to get enough points to stay up. Then, as a points deduction is likely can they get enough points to ensure that they stay up with a points deduction ?!

One step at a time but this process is a month or two overdue

Our manager now has some radical decisions to make, particularly in defence. Despite being criticised for changing the team around so often, 90% of the time it has been through necessity due to injuries and illness and the other 10% because the different players tried have played so erratically. This is the most crucial part of the team. If you defend solidly all game you only have to score one or two to win most games and Monk seemed to have us pretty organised before Christmas, although quite a few of us were talking about those lucky breaks we were having and the fact that we were just getting away with enough mistakes to keep picking up points. That could not last and teams now have seen those weak spots and many of them have players who are good enough to exploit them. Monk now has to do something radical to change our defence for the better and it has to start now by using reliable players in positions where they could help the team become more stable.

I am just thinking aloud here but what can we do to stabilise our shaky defence? 

Against all my previous posts, I would now drop take Dawson out of the next game, not for Westwood, but for Wildsmith, who earned his place in the team v Man City, allegedly by working tirelessly to get back to his best. Unfortunately for Dawson our defence have left him, as last man, with the impossible task of saving a number of free shots at goal every game and it has understandably affected his confidence in them. The defenders do not trust each other, right now and now they do not trust him at the moment either and that has got to change. Hopefully Wildsmith can come in and give them stick, shout at them more and get them to do what he wants them to do, because at the moment they look like a limp lettuce.

Ok there are still various weak links in there like Palmer, who epitomises a player that has talent, but has rarely stepped up to the mark since he won player of the year (so long ago now) and always makes at least one crucial mistake per game that leads to an opposition goal scoring opportunity. The weird thing is that Palmer looked a different player at left back. Much more like his old self I thought. Maybe Monk could try using Fox in the left sided centre back spot and Palmer in the left back spot to try and solve that hole which Borner has left there, by not being mobile enough, due to whatever injury he is carrying?

Right back again is another position which we have excelled at under-performing in. Iorfa is too much of a loose cannon and looks more like a box to box midfield player to me, because he struggles to contain players, cannot tackle and was absolutely miles away from every goal scored Saturday, as usual, because he was out of position. Similarly with Urhoghide and Odubajo . Not containing players, jumping in for badly timed tackles, then pulling players back, or fouling them, just gives so many free kicks and penalties away, plus gets you booked or sent off. I would not let any of these three, or Palmer, anywhere near right back position because they always, always make mistakes and we have paid for so many of them with goals against. Could Keiren Lee, a former player of the year as right back do a job there in the short term, just to help shore up the defence?

In midfield, to give it a bit more steel I would be tempted to keep Bannan where he likes to play , just in front of the defence and play Windass and Hint or Iorfa in midfield, just in front of him. Hunt, Iorfa and Windass like to break up play and run with the ball, linking up well while on the move and having the legs to get back and defend if need be. All three players can score and I believe Iorfa is best kept as far away from our box as possible so that any free kicks he gives away are further up the pitch, and he will get more opportunities to get into the opponents box and cause havoc there at the right end of the pitch.

I think if we did that, it would make our midfield a bit more gutsy than with Lee or Pelupessy there and more mobile, so better equipped to get back and defend or move forward and support whoever is playing on the wings and in the striker role.

Like I say, just thinking aloud and ready for a good slating, but we have to work with what we have and these are all known quantities, without having to delve into the U23s, of whom I am only really keen on seeing Hunt play, again based on what we have seen of him this season.

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, torres said:

If i have followed this thread correctly then he's changing some Lorry's tyre apparently 

I doubt they will be Goodyear.

4 hours ago, Grandad said:

OFFICIAL CLUB STATEMENT

Fellow Owls

We are in difficult seas. Our problems with the EFL are well documented, and time will tell if that will lead to a points deduction, a deduction that could well threaten our Championship status

Regardless of whether that status will be maintained, it is clear that our clubs approach is unsustainable given the current rules of FFP, which incorrectly favour clubs with parachute payments. We will continue to challenge that rule, but also recognise there are other factors that must change in order for us to re-establish this great club in the Premier League, a goal which I'm sure we all share.

FFP rules do not prevent us from investment in our academy, or our stadium. I'm today announcing a change of direction for our club.

We will purpose build a new academy, and it will be the best in Yorkshire. We will invest in new pitches, accommodation and leisure facilities that will make our academy one of the very best in the country in order to attract the best prospects from all over the UK.

We will invest heavily in our scouting infrastructure. 

And we will develop the players to deliver our goal, to supplement the first team players we will continue to invest in within the FFP guidelines.

In addition, today I'm announcing that the entire West Stand structure will be demolished this summer and replaced with a new purpose built modern stand to accommodate home fans. This stand will be one of the most modern built in the region and will be the first phase in a redevelopment of Hillsborough to ready it for our return to the Premier League. Once complete, the next phase will be the replacement of the Kop with an identical structure.

All of the above investment will have no impact on our clubs FFP calculation, but we believe it will demonstrate our firm long term commitment to the future of our club.

This process will not be an overnight success. I hope you will be patient with us while we deliver it, and continue to be the very best supporters you can be. 

Be patient not just with me, as I continue to learn what makes a quality chairman. But be patient with our young players who will be the future of our club. Encourage them, don't berate them when they make a mistake

Together, we can all work together to deliver our future as a long term addition to the Premier League

But divided, it is unlikely we will ever return

We are all Wednesday. Aren't we?

If only  you were Chairman Nigel, we would be in safe hands as long you reign in your petulance ;-)

5 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

If only  you were Chairman Nigel, we would be in safe hands as long you reign in your petulance ;-)

Petulance?? 

Image result for who me? gif