Sam Hutchinson

Just now, torryowl said:

He didn't spend it did he ....he would have no say on the fee or contracts 

OK then

He had the club's vast wealth of talent available to him that any manager should rightly have won promotion with easily

Either way - he messed up a glorious opportunity - and installed a culture that's choking the club today still.

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

OK then

He had the club's vast wealth of talent available to him that any manager should rightly have won promotion with easily

Either way - he messed up a glorious opportunity - and installed a culture that's choking the club today still.

No problem with that 

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

OK then

Think that's overstating it a bit. Newcastle and Brighton were pretty decent sides and it was no disgrace to finish behind them.

Huddersfield and Fulham good that season too and were probably better than Leeds or WBA this season.

We went out to a Tom Lees OG.

Maybe he should have got us up in the play offs that year but theres no way that was an easy promotion.

• Like 1

Guest Bulgaria
11 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I've had this argument a hundred times

Palmer isn't a Championship player, whenever he's had a loan spell, it's to a league one club, there's a reason for that

He's a cheap option, he's not on a big contract, he puts a shift in, he just doesn't possess the quality required of a championship player

Watch him closely in our next game, see how many times he puts a cross in, see how many times he finds one of our players

I would go as far as saying, he's the worst right back in the division

If you don't believe me, just watch where he goes when he leaves the club, it will be to league one, because that's his level

I know a poo full back when I see one

Totally agree Hoots, although he doesn't even seem to be putting a shift in these days. His performance at Brentford was that of someone going through the motions.

Can't remember the last time Palmer made a crunching tackle or made a solid defensive header. 

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

He used 35 players in 2016-17.... which ones did he leave to rot ?

He literally said he couldn’t motivate anyone not in his favoured starting line up because they knew they’d be dropped at the first opportunity no matter how well they played. 

Edited by kingsidney

3 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Who?

Carlos Carvalhal has suggested that he may not have been able to get the best out of Sheffield Wednesday's now-needed fringe players, which became a factor in his Christmas Eve departure. 

The Portuguese was unveiled as the new Swansea City boss on Thursday just a few days after leaving the Owls after two-and-a-half years in charge and was offering his reasons why things had not worked out in his third season at the club. 

After two play-off finishes in his first two years, Carvahal left Wednesday with just six wins this campaign and on a run of seven games without success.

As he had done in the weeks leading up to his exit, Carvalhal cited injuries as an issue but hinted that a reliance on a settled team previous to losing so many players meant that he had to look towards those who had been on the sidelines for some time.

And the head coach said he felt a new man might be able to better motivate those players.

"If you analyse it is easy to explain (why things hadn't worked out), " he said at the press conference to announce his arrival at the Liberty Stadium.

"We did not win for seven games, but if you look at the team I had in the play-off final at Wembley, seven of those players were out injured, with surgeries

"Then there was Steven Fletcher and George Boyd so I was without nine first-team players.

"With the other players, they have value, but the dynamic was different and they knew they were second choice and would not play if the others recovered.

"That is why I spoke to the chairman, we needed to win games urgently and probably another coach will make these players feel like they are the first options while the others are injured. It was very difficult in these moments."

Carvalhal also said that he received offers from as far afield as Japan when leaving Wednesday and was prepared to take a break until the offer came from the Premier League's bottom club. 

Speaking about his whirlwind few days, Carvalhal said: "This is football. I talked with the chairman of Sheffield Wednesday after the last game against Middlesbrough. 

I was not happy and he was not happy with how things were going. We had a lot of injuries and we decided together to move on to different things

. "That night I started receiving calls, even before it (his departure) was announced. They were from different parts of the world. From Japan, Turkey and England.

"Then I had the call from Swansea, immediately I said I was ready to work. For the other situations I had said I needed some rest, but for this I knew my rest was over, I wanted to be here."

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/new-swansea-city-boss-carlos-carvalhal-reveals-thinking-behind-sheffield-wednesday-exit-1-8931099

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, torryowl said:

He used 35 players in 2016-17.... which ones did he leave to rot ?

I am not as critically as some on here about Carlos Carvahaul but one of his faults was that he has his favourites who would always play in the big games no matter what they fitness. For example Kieron Lee was rushed back from injury and never played again for a year.

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

I am not as critically as some on here about Carlos Carvahaul but one of his faults was that he has his favourites who would always play in the big games no matter what they fitness. For example Kieron Lee was rushed back from injury and never played again for a year.

2016-17 ...his core was 

Westwood

Hunt

Lee's 

Loovens

Pudil

Wallace

Lee

Hutch

Bannan

FF

Hooper

Fletch

His back up who all got game time 

Wildsmith

Palmer

Sasso

Semedo 

Jones

Abdi

Rhodes 

Winnall

Mcmanaman 

Joao

Matias

I fail to see anyone there who was left to rot or how any of the back ups were significantly better than his core side   

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

2016-17 ...his core was 

Westwood

Hunt

Lee's 

Loovens

Pudil

Wallace

Lee

Hutch

Bannan

FF

Hooper

Fletch

Wildsmith

Palmer

Sasso

Semedo 

Jones

Abdi

Rhodes 

Winnall

Mcmanaman 

Joao

Matias

I fail to see anyone there who was left to rot or how any of the back ups were significantly better than his core side   

Can't believe you're still arguing this when Carlos HIMSELF said he did it

lol

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

2016-17 ...his core was 

Westwood

Hunt

Lee's 

Loovens

Pudil

Wallace

Lee

Hutch

Bannan

FF

Hooper

Fletch

Wildsmith

Palmer

Sasso

Semedo 

Jones

Abdi

Rhodes 

Winnall

Mcmanaman 

Joao

Matias

You also obviously can’t read the quote from Carlos own mouth. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, torryowl said:

2016-17 ...his core was 

Westwood

Hunt

Lee's 

Loovens

Pudil

Wallace

Lee

Hutch

Bannan

FF

Hooper

Fletch

Wildsmith

Palmer

Sasso

Semedo 

Jones

Abdi

Rhodes 

Winnall

Mcmanaman 

Joao

Matias

In fairness to Carlos I reckon most fans would agree he was right to stick by that list of core players (I know I would). Unfortunately for him he was unfortunate to see too many of his core players injured at the same time and i would hope he’d be honest enough to accept he created some of those major injuries through playing injured/fatigued players.

In defence of Carlos I would happily state the 2015/2016 season was easily the most enjoyable season I’ve experienced as a Wednesday fan since our gradual demise from the mid 90s. Some of the football was a throwback to the pass and move of Big Rons first era and you could feel pride at the way we played. Also CC himself was honest and a character; just an absolute shame he couldn’t ultimately get the job done.

• Like 1

Just now, East Yorks Owl said:

In fairness to Carlos I reckon most fans would agree he was right to stick by that list of core players (I know I would). Unfortunately for him he was unfortunate to see too many of his core players injured at the same time and i would hope he’d be honest enough to accept he created some of those major injuries through playing injured/fatigued players.

In defence of Carlos I would happily state the 2015/2016 season was easily the most enjoyable season I’ve experienced as a Wednesday fan since our gradual demise from the mid 90s. Some of the football was a throwback to the pass and move of Big Rons first era and you could feel pride at the way we played. Also CC himself was honest and a character; just an absolute shame he couldn’t ultimately get the job done.

He was a right conman who should have got promoted with the resources poured all over him by our chairman

He was literally dripping in talent and yet failed massively

Not just that but we are still choked by the culture he instilled amongst the players

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

CC was certainly a character but not sure he was that honest. At times he reminded me of a 2nd hand car dealer.

Edited by matthefish2002