Worst manager in our history

Guest Theboylangers
3 hours ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Eustace was the worst in my time supporting the club - absolute dogger 

Indeed. Useless Eustace. 

Worst manager. 

People like Len Ashurst, Steve Birkenshaw (forgive my spelling) Peter Eustace, etc etc. 

These were really bad managers. 

In the current toxic climate at wednesday its impossible to accurately judge Monk. And it's unlikely that until we can rid of all the players that have failed us year after year that much will change. Include the owner. He also has to go. 

We need to completely start again. 

And that is going to be virtually impossible. 

We've been spiralling down since the Wembley final against Hull and there's no sign of it ending 

If people think we are bad now then believe me we've been much worse. Year after I stood on the kop and watched utter garbage as we almost slipped into the forth Division. And back then the players were actually trying. Unlike now. That's how bad we were 

Edited by Mrmason69

1 hour ago, Mrmason69 said:

Worst manager. 

People like Len Ashurst, Steve Birkenshaw (forgive my spelling) Peter Eustace, etc etc. 

These were really bad managers. 

In the current toxic climate at wednesday its impossible to accurately judge Monk. And it's unlikely that until we can rid of all the players that have failed us year after year that much will change. Include the owner. He also has to go. 

We need to completely start again. 

And that is going to be virtually impossible. 

We've been spiralling down since the Wembley final against Hull and there's no sign of it ending 

If people think we are bad now then believe me we've been much worse. Year after I stood on the kop and watched utter garbage as we almost slipped into the forth Division. And back then the players were actually trying. Unlike now. That's how bad we were 

Dont agree with Ashurst,he started the climb back up the table and begun to sow the seeds of positivity,got us upto 8th in his first full season,bought some decent players,Tynan,Paul Bradshaw,Jeff Johnson,Leman,Rushbury,Richard Walden and gave a debut to chris turner

On 08/03/2020 at 16:38, ChinaOwl said:

Was he "the worst ever manager in our history" when we were playing well before Christmas or has he become that because numerous other factors have converged?

“Playing well”? When was that. It was pants but we were nicking results. Now we’re pants and getting hammered. But we’ve never played well under monk. OK 40 mins v Foest. 

On 08/03/2020 at 22:08, ChinaOwl said:

Was he "the worst ever manager in our history" when we were playing well before Christmas or has he become that because numerous other factors have converged?

You test the metal of a man in adversity. 

Hows he coping with that?

Monk is trying to manage a squad that has largely given up. 

Rather than criticise Monk, I choose to give him credit for sticking in a job that is absolutely toxic. We don’t know with certainty what’s happening behind the scenes but we’ve struggled with different managers and mostly the same squad and the same Chairman. The constants here are the players and owner and that’s where I’m aiming my criticism. 

I don't think he's any good. No sense of how he wants the team to play and the man management doesn't seem to be there.

Eustace, Irvine, , Turner, Luhukay, and (more controversially) Jewell were all worse.

Jones was dire in his final months, but initially did very well, and deserves huge credit for that, so shouldn't be too neat the top of that list.

9 hours ago, Lomas613 said:

Chris Turner was worse

Would this be the chris Turner who in his short tenure  released 16 players who were getting  us nowhere and built a team from just about scratch that was promoted .....Whelan and brunt fetched in some very welcome money ,bullen served the club well,he wasnt shy of bringing in young players like wood,Talbot....much maligned is Turner and unjustly so .

Irvine is hands down the worse manager in my lifetime of watching - 1977 onwards.

Refused to quit even as we slid down the table in the third tier. 

Results under Turner didn't work out, but I admire him for bringing players like Brunt, Whelan, Maclean and Bullen to the club. 

Strange thing is, the managers that followed Turner and Irvine - Sturrock and Megson - are seen as untouchable Gods in our history when they were actually bang average with an open goal of a squad and situation to work in.

Monk is a merry go round manager. Neither great nor terrible. I'm sure he will have success in the future when he has left us. 

Certainly not the worst manager we've had but depending on things go over the next month or two .. he could be approaching the same bracket as them .. the same happened to Jos really .. both managers struggling to get much out of this bunch and with a complete and utter lack of support from the upper echelons ...