Worst manager in our history

21 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Carlos finished 6th and 4th.. in May 2016 were you saying how terrible he was then on our way to Wembley? I severely doubt it

And our better players, the ones who made the difference between mid table in 2014-15 and the play offs, were FF, Hooper, Wallace, Bannan, Pudil, Hunt, Lopez, Joao. It’s revisionist to suggest that every signing we’ve made was bad business. 2016-17 is where things started going wrong...

not 1 of those signings were anything to do with carlos ,he had no say whatsoever until the jan 2016 transfer window where according to chansiri carlos had an input regards signings and final say. though it wernt him what decided contracts ,wages etc I know that. . if you increased most clubs wage bill by 300% like under carlos and give him millions to sign players I think most managers would think they could make top 6 as a minimum. carlos was given a once in a lifetime amount of money and to get us up he failed miserably and now we are feeling the effects which could go on for many many years sadly. you don't have to agree that's fine. 

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, savi said:

This is not in defence of GM here but as others have said if there are issues within the club then is it something that has unfortunately been inherited. 

First Jos has issues now GM seemingly has the same problems with seemingly the same players. 

If he goes then Bullen walks in and plays the players to try and get a quick fix, we all the point the finger at GM like we did at Jos then like has already been said on here the merry go round starts again with the new manager. 

Do we not try and put a little faith in GM, hope we can ride this season out, avoid relegation and back him in the summer hoping he can sort this mess out by getting rid of the steaming pile of sheite that are possibly upsetting the apple cart. 

Is it more to do with the players being the problem than Garry? 

No it's both

Guest LittleG
44 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

surely we've had worse than eustace?

Happily we haven't; just over 11% win rate

Guest LondonOwl313
28 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

not 1 of those signings were anything to do with carlos ,he had no say whatsoever until the jan 2016 transfer window where according to chansiri carlos had an input regards signings and final say. though it wernt him what decided contracts ,wages etc I know that. . if you increased most clubs wage bill by 300% like under carlos and give him millions to sign players I think most managers would think they could make top 6 as a minimum. carlos was given a once in a lifetime amount of money and to get us up he failed miserably and now we are feeling the effects which could go on for many many years sadly. you don't have to agree that's fine. 

I’m not convinced he decided on any of our signings tbh.. can’t see him having decided to sign Rhodes tbh. And we signed loads of players who never played.. so he picked Emmanuelson, Buckley, McManaman etc.. can’t see it.

as for the money spent.. that’s what it takes to be up there when you’ve got the likes of Newcastle and Villa and other parachute clubs spending much more. It didn’t give us the right to go up

5 hours ago, cowl said:

I remember under Irvine in League One we were 2nd at Christmas (around when Mandaric came in too), but by the time February rolled round we were 12th, which is when he was sacked.

Megson really struggled at first when he came in, mind (4 home defeats in a row...)

It took the best manager in my time of watching Wednesday, 50+ years, Sir Jack Charlton 2 seasons to get to grip with life in the 3rd div and build a squad good enough to get out and set up Wilkinson with a squad to go into the 1st division.

In those 50+ years, only Steve Burtenshaw had any long term plan, that is any plan that went ahead of just 1 season, when he set up the Youth development system that produced players for OUR 1st team, Sterland, Smith, Grant, Taylor, Shirtliffe (Bros), Bolder, Newsome, Pearson etc.

Since then the 'Plan' for the future of the club has been anarchic, to say the least.

bottom line is he is struggling and so are the team ,his choices on the day so it is his baby , worse manager tbh I couldn't care less but I care more for where we are going to end up after the next few games And I hope I am wrong but I can't see monk turning it around 

Until he takes a championship mid table side to getting their bottoms spanked by league one clubs regularly, whilst spending a fortune in that division - then he's no where near the levels of Alan Irvine in terms of worst manager in the history of Sheffield Wednesday managers

It does feel like we've turned back the clock to 2000 again, Players that literally can't be bothered and a manager struggling to get anything out of them. It's like we're back with Paul Jewell and the players have all become Gilles De Bilde. 

5 hours ago, handworth52 said:

Ah I see, so Carlos had no say in the Portuguese arrivals, but was the instigator behind the arrival of all those second rate Scots. Right

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Ah I see, so Carlos had no say in the Portuguese arrivals, but was the instigator behind the arrival of all those second rate Scots. Right

Remember he also signed that Portuguese centre half then he never played him ,the man was nuts . Total fruit and nut job. 

It's a bit more complicated than a couple of results. Remember 1993? With two games of the season left we were still mathematically in the title race. Think about that for a moment. Yet that same season, we had 1-6 and 1-7 defeats.

As for Peter Eustace, he is the only permanent manager in our history who failed to win a single home league game.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Agreed - Almost no point in debating in this section

Due to the ridiculous levels of confirmation bias 

There was a time when you'd have been run out of town for suggesting that Carlos was anything but the greatest manager in human history

Every managers job that came up in the premier league and the forum would be full of "keep your hands off Carlos" etc

Carlos did an ok job with what he had - not a genius but neither was he as crap as some make out

9 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Two 5-0 defeats already in 2020.... he is jusr flipping awful. 

One of THE most stupid thread titles I’ve ever seen. He’s not even the 2nd worst manager under Chansiri. 

There’s at least half a dozen that I could name off the top of my head that were worse. Stop being a silly sausage.

21 hours ago, Steelman said:

One of THE most stupid thread titles I’ve ever seen. He’s not even the 2nd worst manager under Chansiri. 

There’s at least half a dozen that I could name off the top of my head that were worse. Stop being a silly sausage.

Not sure that I could