Who Are The Players Who Have Given Up?

I don’t think anyone has given up. No one is going out there thinking, I can’t be arsed today I’m purposely going to play crap. 

The team has no confidence, which leads to players making mistakes, which leads to players hiding and not wanting the ball. 

Look at the celebrations against Charlton. This is what I don’t get about Monks comments sometimes. Unless he’s talking about the people above him.

I’ve been thinking the same. 

The “You’re not fit to wear the shirt” chants etc...  

People do (or did) like the players as individuals, and want to support them... however, as a group they’re so weak it’s unbelievable. Shipping goals is a tell tale sign of not caring / at the least not concentrating. 

I don’t think it’s giving up as much. It’s like Monk said. There isn’t a desire to win or a real hunger to go out and get a result. 

I’ve said before. There are a lot of average players here who have got too comfortable whilst picking up a lot of money in the process. That is never a successful mix at a football club. It’s like we haven’t learnt anything from the noughties.

And again that all comes from the top. Paying expensive wages to average players with no structure to the club, no CEO, no director of football, taking transfer advice of an agent who doesn’t necessarily have the clubs best interests at heart, keeping hold of players who are past their sell by date and not cashing in when the time is right. 

It’s a perfect case study of how not to run a football club. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, 0114 said:

All of them yesterday. Watch the goals it’s disgusting. 

First goal Dawson pulls a shocker but every single player in the box just stands watching, no reactions. 

3rd goal... Windass Fletcher and Da Cruz go to press but just get caught in no mans land. Brentford cut through and literally the entire centre of midfield is vacated. Brentford easily pick holes in the defence. 

last goal. Bannan stands on the edge of the box watching Brentford. Disgraceful. 

First goal, Murphy tracks the goal scorer all the way back to the edge of our six yard box then leaves him thinking job done as Dawson parties it out. The guy dropped off him and had a free hit.

It's basic stuff but we seem to have a raft of unintelligent footballers incapable of concentrating for more than three seconds at a time.

The other goals were just as bad.

18 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

I'd go,

Westwood

Lees

Pelupessy 

Harris

Reach

Winall 

Rhodes

Wickham

Bates

Hutchinson

I’ll add FF Odubajo Nuihu and Murphy in fact all those on loan have no natural loyalty to the cause and will naturally hide from this situation. I imagine wildsmith is peed off too and not afraid to show it.

Edited by shez owl

It's perhaps stating the blatantly obvious but, in between when the team were playing very well before Christmas and the start of this slump, something related to the club but not necessarily directly a football matter has hit them like a tonne of bricks. Something has smashed the morale right out of this bunch of players. We speculate on this forum but, whatever it is, it must be pretty fekkin' significant to have that effect.

35 minutes ago, 0114 said:

All of them yesterday. Watch the goals it’s disgusting. 

First goal Dawson pulls a shocker but every single player in the box just stands watching, no reactions. 

3rd goal... Windass Fletcher and Da Cruz go to press but just get caught in no mans land. Brentford cut through and literally the entire centre of midfield is vacated. Brentford easily pick holes in the defence. 

last goal. Bannan stands on the edge of the box watching Brentford. Disgraceful. 

Could just be an awful midfield which shines against poor teams when there is lots of possession but cannot battle and defend  against the good teams?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChinaOwl said:

It's perhaps stating the blatantly obvious but, in between when the team were playing very well before Christmas and the start of this slump, something related to the club but not necessarily directly a football matter has hit them like a tonne of bricks. Something has smashed the morale right out of this bunch of players. We speculate on this forum but, whatever it is, it must be pretty fekkin' significant to have that effect.

I think this is the case as well, what it is I've no idea but its had a dramatic effect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shez owl said:

I’ll add Odubajo Nuihu and Murphy in fact all those on loan have no natural loyalty to the cause and will naturally hide from this situation. I imagine wildsmith is peed off too and not afraid to show it.

I don't think Pelupessy is one, he's a very poor player but not one I'd accuse of giving up.

My first instinct is to say drop the lot and play the U23's, who, from what we have seen under Luhukay, are not up ton the mark but put ion a shift.

My second thought then is that there are 9 games to go, many of them tough games, and a losing streak of such a length would probably ruin the lads 'futures.

Something is wrong somewhere. The Manager consistently tells us the players train well, but come Sat, they simply don't put in the performances

It is certain that, come the season end, there has got to be change. Players who will not put iin a shift for the team or the manager, whoever it may be, should be got rid of whatever the cost. What's the use of changing managers when the players will not play for the one they have.  Who's to say that, if the manager is changed, the same thing will not happen to the  next Whether it be Monk or monkey, the Manager deserves the respect of the players. They cannot be allowed to rule the club. 

2 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

For me one of the worst culprits is Tom Lees, and this fraud is club captain.

In fairness it’s probably quicker to say who hasn’t given up.

This is the bit I don't get though, look at the reaction after the Charlton goal, a display of togetherness thats rarely seen, that doesn't point to a rotten majority.

42 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

So why does Bannan come out after games and apologise, he did it again yesterday. The reaction after the late goal v Charlton also didn’t look like the reaction of players who are refusing to play, Fletcher is another who you can’t put into this category and add Murphy, Fox and Iorfa.

its all very confusing.

They are collectively mentality and physical weak - a scrambled win against a team who are likely to be relegated, was probably unexpected and celebrated like a cup final victory.

The way the fixtures have fallen, I can't see this team/squad getting a win until Huddersfield in April - and then it will be a struggle. In fact, looking at the fixtures I really can't see another win - perhaps Middlesbrough?

The players have given up on the managers clueless tactics and baffling constant team changes. 

That’s the reality. 

I think the vast majority of players want to do well and from what I’ve seen they usually put a shift in. 

Clearly the heads went very early on yesterday. 

23 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

For me one of the worst culprits is Tom Lees, and this fraud is club captain.

In fairness it’s probably quicker to say who hasn’t given up.

Erm erm erm Fletcher erm erm Iorfa erm erm Palmer erm erm Fox erm erm erm I think that's your lot. :duntmatter: