Midfield

9 hours ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Many of us fans have been saying the midfield needs addressing for months, if we can see it surely the man picking the team can.

He had a chance to do something about it during the January transfer window but chose to go for just strikers and to make the situation worse freeze the most effective one of the lot out.

It’s not just Monk to blame here. It’s been apparent during the eras of Carlos, Luhukay and also Bruce. It’s just crazy how a lack of steel in our midfield has held us back since Wembley. If you break down the number of goals we concede I guarantee there are more through the middle than from out wide.

4 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

It’s not just Monk to blame here. It’s been apparent during the eras of Carlos, Luhukay and also Bruce. It’s just crazy how a lack of steel in our midfield has held us back since Wembley. If you break down the number of goals we concede I guarantee there are more through the middle than from out wide.

It was apparent at the playoff final not just since and also Hutch was playing in that game.

I really rate Bannan. I think he is a proper footballer..one of the few we have.

But at no point as he ever been the answer in a midfield 2. 

Even Carlos knew this and played him on the left.

Our problem is we don't have any other midfielders as they are all injured or missing or Pelupessy.

10 hours ago, wiggy said:

Bannan has never and will never be the player to be that dominating midfield beast. We’ve been after that player since the playoff final season. 

if we actually sign somebody to do the dirty work we’ll see a far better Barry Bannan. It was clear Joey wasn’t upto the task when he arrived. Yet he’s still playing.

Barry Bannan is IMO the reason we haven’t signed such a player.

Simply put that type of beast midfield the Kante type runs all day contests everything and is in there box when we’re attacking or ours when defending. They need a defensive midfielder next to them. Hutchinson. 

Where does this leave Barry Bannan. Playing wide where he is best but doesn’t like playing. Playing in front of the two which is doesn’t like.