Does anyone really believe it's the manager to blame

11 minutes ago, 83owl said:

The boyhood club thing is a load of rubbish, he managed Sunderland for years it was never a problem then. 

I don’t see why that fact undermines his desire to manage his boyhood Club, eventually.

Presumably, when he landed the Sunderland job - it wasn’t a choice between Sunderland and Newcastle?

My understanding is that he did grow up supporting Newcastle.

I thought Monk was an okay appointment and there’s no doubt he started off well, but I’ve been less and less impressed with him as time has gone on. Constant team changes, some of our best players banished, an inability to score at home, the constant selection of Dawson and Pelupessy no matter how bad their performances, I could go on. 

The fans, by and large, never seem to have taken to him either. And Whilst I really don’t want us trying to attract a new manager in our current state, and I think

Monk really does care, I feel like he may be past the point of no return.

However, the problems are clearly far more deep rooted than Monk. And in that sense I do feel a little sorry for him. We have the most experienced and one of the best paid squads in the league and yet the mentality is weak as foook. Regardless of what they think of the manager, whether they’re being offered a new contract, or there’s the possibility of a points deduction, players on 20, 30, 40 grand a week and with hundreds of appearances behind them out to show a lot more damn professional pride than they currently are and that’s shameful.

And then you have the chairman. Our absent, uncommunicative, stubborn, chairman. A man who has managed to take over a stable club on an upward curve and with a solid spine of players and spend £100m turning it into a shambolic, laughing stock of feeble millionaire playboys, detached from its fans, facing huge EFL sanctions and on a rapid downward spiral to god knows where. 

So yes the manager is to blame for some of where we are today... but for everything? Not even close to it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

The people blaming Monk for the mess we are in at the minute are completely delusional. 

Any manager here is destined to fail with the state the club is in. Monk is not a bad manager. 

Lack of leadership from the owner who now has no long or short term strategy is the problem.

I really think he thought it was an easy get rich quick scheme. Buy a club for very little (in his terms).

Splash a bit of cash around and get promoted. Enjoy the riches for a season or two then sell at a huge profit.

First big mistake was admitting he knew nothing about football. Great message to send out to all the vultures in football.

Second one was trying to run it all himself on a part time basis rather than appoint a full time experienced and competent football second in command.

Third was not taking time to understand EFL  profit and sustainability rules early in his tenure.

Fourth was failing to understand players must be regarded as assets to be traded. They are not family.

I could go on.

Now having said all that on to Monk. Clearly not to blame for the above but really he is not helping himself.

Team selections recently are puzzling to both fans and the squad itself.

We have a promising young keeper in Dawson but his confidence is shot now. He needs a break. Normally you would give his deputy a game. Wildsmith did well enough Wednesday to justify this but no, and our most experienced keeper is sidelined without explanation. This is proving disastrous on two counts.

Then the unproven youngster Da Cruz preferred to Forestieri when we are desperate for results and the continual choice of Pelupessy instead of giving youth a chance even as sub. Listening to him the last 2 Saturdays has been so depressing. He is clearly out of ideas and seems ready to walk away to me. Surely just waiting for Chansiri to help him out the door.

The footballing side of the club at the moment is a symptom of what is happening higher up.

What is the structure to the business? Look at those at the very top and they have CEOs, COOs, DoFs, Heads of Football Admin, Heads of all sorts of other things. We are completely rudderless at the moment - we are blaming the cabin crew when we don't have a captain of the ship. 

Chansiri could easily start to turn this around by bringing in talented people at key positions and letting them run the club, and he could take all the glory if he wanted for bankrolling it. Instead we haven't got anybody with industry experience leading what we are doing, and all we can do is blame a manager who hasn't exactly been bankrolled and footballers who don't exactly have much loyalty to us apart from picking up a pay check that we negotiated that they could receive. 

Something has to change at the top level or we'll continue with mediocrity or worse. 

41 minutes ago, WindygrOWLer said:

Only an idiot would think it's soley monks fault. If the players were giving their all, and we was losing by fine margins, then u could soley blame the manager and his selections/tactics. But the players have given up, no desire, no endeavour....pretty pathetic. However, I have never known a manager that makes so many changes at half time.....it's almost like an admission that he got it wrong in the first place. Lots of problems at the club, not just Monk. Would be easier if it was just Monk.....

Absolute bobbar.

it is SOLELY Monks fault.   These players have proved on many occasion they are capable of competing with the best in the division, and indeed on occasion against far better players.

Only an idiot would say the opposite it true, to be honest.

Looks like you just stepped up to be that said idiot!

Edited by Salmonbones

The entire football club is in free fall and nobody looks like they are up for the fight to stop it.

I do sympathise with Monk, he's trying to sort this squad out without his own backroom staff and the players are simply not responding, but he's got to take a percentage of the blame for recent performances. Team selections, player fall outs and tactics have all contributed to our poor run of form.

Chansiri's silence is deafening. He's disappeared faster than David Garrido after the play off final and he just comes across as uninterested and clueless on what to do next. Final straw for me with Chansiri will be if we end up with a big points deduction because of his poor decisions. 

Players have just downed tools with the exception of three or four. It's become a sterile and comfy squad with too many getting game time because we have no other option.

The only positive is the fans. And it's us that have to suffer after all the above are long gone.

57 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Then something needs to change.

We can't keep going on like this, it certainly isn't sustainable.  Shipping so many goals, is worrying to say the least. 

Monk isn't up to the task.  Feels like he is learning on the job, and he's making a right mess of it.  I mean who starts dismantling a team midway through the season.  I just find a lot of what he does completely baffling. 

Wildsmith should have started today after the midweek performance against city.  It wasn't that long ago, I could say our goalkeeping department was the least of our problems.  We had Westwood keeping clean sheets, with two very good prospects in Dawson and Wildsmith.  Can I say the same thing today?  It looks like we are ruining all three of them.  And that's just one position.  

How long do we really give Monk? Do we wait before it is too late.  

Under normal circumstances (i.e. well run club / competent owner) I would sack Monk now, genuinely never wanted him in first place.

With our club, I’ve very little faith in the recruitment process.  I guess we would just have to hope that almost anyone could do a better job than Monk - because I’ve no idea what kind of random appointment will be made next time around with Chansiri running the show.  I fear there’s a lot more going on behind the scenes that any Manager would struggle with.

1 hour ago, asteener1867 said:

That line up today?

EVEN WE knew it was all over the place..I mean  Christ Almighty....

Fans called it before the kick off....that..... SHOULD NOT HAPPEN!!!

Let's be honest, they do that about half of the time and are probably wrong far more often than they are right.

Predicting a bad outcome today wasn't exactly a gamble.

2 hours ago, steelowl said:

I totally understand what you're saying however it's clear to even Monk's mother ( who must love him) that the players have downed tools  we are in a flat spin dive to relegation something has to be done 

Sounds like collective bullying. 

Who in their right mind would want to work with that squad ?

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Sounds like collective bullying. 

Who in their right mind would want to work with that squad ?

This is the thing ,  people want Monk gone but whoever is in his place will have the same issues with this pathetic bunch of players 

Fall out with Hutchinson and your for the sack 

In answer to your thread question, yes, I think that he’s mainly to blame.

Look, I know that we don’t have the best squad in the league but it’s his job to motivate and utilise the players that he has at his disposal.

It’s not good enough casting aside “ difficult “ characters simply because their faces don’t fit.

If he was a good man manager then he would get over himself and harness their ability for the sake of the team and it’s suppotters.

He’s got the short term solution in his toolbox but refuses to select them... so yes, he is to blame.

37 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Let's be honest, they do that about half of the time and are probably wrong far more often than they are right.

Predicting a bad outcome today wasn't exactly a gamble.

Let’s be honest a 50% success rate is a lot more than what the supposed professional being paid to do the job is achieving. I don’t know whether he is paid peanuts but he isn’t even as good as a monkey.

1 hour ago, paulrs said:

I thought Monk was an okay appointment and there’s no doubt he started off well, but I’ve been less and less impressed with him as time has gone on. Constant team changes, some of our best players banished, an inability to score at home, the constant selection of Dawson and Pelupessy no matter how bad their performances, I could go on. 

The fans, by and large, never seem to have taken to him either. And Whilst I really don’t want us trying to attract a new manager in our current state, and I think

Monk really does care, I feel like he may be past the point of no return.

However, the problems are clearly far more deep rooted than Monk. And in that sense I do feel a little sorry for him. We have the most experienced and one of the best paid squads in the league and yet the mentality is weak as foook. Regardless of what they think of the manager, whether they’re being offered a new contract, or there’s the possibility of a points deduction, players on 20, 30, 40 grand a week and with hundreds of appearances behind them out to show a lot more damn professional pride than they currently are and that’s shameful.

And then you have the chairman. Our absent, uncommunicative, stubborn, chairman. A man who has managed to take over a stable club on an upward curve and with a solid spine of players and spend £100m turning it into a shambolic, laughing stock of feeble millionaire playboys, detached from its fans, facing huge EFL sanctions and on a rapid downward spiral to god knows where. 

So yes the manager is to blame for some of where we are today... but for everything? Not even close to it. 

That is an excellent post and pretty much how I see it.

2 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

In answer to your thread question, yes, I think that he’s mainly to blame.

Look, I know that we don’t have the best squad in the league but it’s his job to motivate and utilise the players that he has at his disposal.

It’s not good enough casting aside “ difficult “ characters simply because their faces don’t fit.

If he was a good man manager then he would get over himself and harness their ability for the sake of the team and it’s suppotters.

He’s got the short term solution in his toolbox but refuses to select them... so yes, he is to blame.

Be honest; like the rest of us you have no idea who has done or said what and therefore cannot possibly judge what is right or wrong about it. 

I wonder if you would apply these same principles to your own workplace?

It's quite clear now that Monk will need to go.  

Monk got us to third on the table by December and we also had two decent wins away in the FA Cup to Brighton and QPR.

The threat of the points deduction I'm guessing has taken its toll on everyone at club.

Injuries to Fletcher - Luongo - Reach and not selling Rhodes and a few others have not helped.

Quite a number of players who have been here for a lengthy period have long lost the desire for the battle on the pitch. Others like Pelupessy should never be picked again.

Monk is right that a lot of things need to change at this club but I don't think he will be the one to make them. But when this season finishes and I don't care if we are playing League 1 or Championship there needs to be a massive clean out and a manager bought in who can make the hard decisions and rebuild this club. 

BTW - Dawson needs to be dropped the kid has a future but he is devoid of all confidence right now.

chansiri is another ballgame  but Monk decides who plays and tactics so makes a rod for his own back ,he is in charge of the team ,he picks the team the ball is in his court so however you look at it the man is failing on all counts  ,sorry to those who think otherwise but he needs to be gone before we are dragged deeper into the mire ,