Who Replaces Monk?

Guest domSWFC

I'm assuming we're likely to be in L1 next year and we really need people who know the lower leagues and can work with a smaller budget once we've shifted the deadwood. An emphasis on team spirit rather than past reputation would also be welcomed. Nathan Jones, failed at Stoke with their over rated players as did Rowett, but did an excellent job at Luton and is currently unemployed.

Two names that would be considered unfashionable in L2

Ryan Lowe at Plymouth, ex-player, who took a cash-strapped Bury into L1 and has his new team in the automatic promotion places.

David Artell at Crewe, currently top of L2 where they have been consistent throughout the season. A local lad from Rotherham. His teams have gradually improved since his appointment in 2017. 

Moving up a league, Mark Robins is doing an impressive job at Coventry, especially since they've got no proper home ground and are tenants of Birmingham City.

Paul Warne at Rotherham has built a play-off chasing team on a very limited budget and clearly has an eye for a player as they needed a clear out a few seasons ago (sound familiar) after a shocking season in the Championship.

I'

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KivoOwl said:

Absolutely no-one with anything approaching a decent reputation would come here.

No-one wanting to tell it like it is would come here.

Our name is poison among managers and players alike now - everyone knows what it's like to work at SWFC.

Who was the guy Leeds got in from Forest Green Rovers who took the job because it was the chance of a lifetime?

I imagine that's where we'll go to next.

We got Bruce before we got Monk.

Presumably the poison was in the club then? Presumably he thought he could do a good job regardless.

The more I think about it the more I don’t want Monk to be sacked. At least he is at the point where he realises these players aren’t up to it and need to go. So we get a new manager in (Probably their mate Bullen) and these players fool him in to giving them new contracts and this whole massively underperforming players thing starts all over again. The 2 biggest problems are the pathetic players and the clueless owner. Monk is stuck between both of them and I feel for him. As I’ve said he is making some very poor decisions but i think he is just trying anything to make things work until the end of the season. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

To offer a different view Monk is finished at SWFC.

He has gone past the point of no return.

Just as Luhukay did. In fact Luhukay's results were slighly better than Monk's.

It is largely experienced Managers being mentioned on here such as Warnock, Pulis/Megson, Alladyce, etc.

Any of these managers would be able to get a handle very quickly on the strengths and weaknesses of the squad.

14 hours ago, S1Owl said:

Need someone who knows football inside out because the chairman doesn't so i'd go for Allardyce at the moment, can't keep gambling on low experienced or foreign coaches at this time.. i'd never go for him in past but need experience now.

Agree, its a relegation scrap now so back to basics.

Organisation, leadership, solidarity, not easily losing, being horrible to play against etc, forget expansive stuff.

Allardyce or pulis are experienced at taking on clubs in freefall, like it or not.

• Like 1

Yes, I have to agree with Ash in that we are in a crisis.

It would be lovely to think that we could find the next Wenger or Klopp in Europe somewhere but now unfortunatley is not the time.

This is the time for experience and Warnock, Alladyce or Pulis plus Megson could all steady a fast sinking ship.

19 hours ago, Spondon Owl said:

Megson or warnock. You need someone with grit to turn this around.

Why not get them as joint managers, a bit like Liverpool did once. We could get Wilkinson in as DoF and Maybe Chapman as heading coach and Hirsty in as kicking coach.

This is the second most stupid post on this thread.:rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

Guest LittleG
18 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

I agree.

It's perhaps fitting that a section of our own fanbase thwarted our attempts to get him last time, when we could have used him to get back at McCabe.

What a clanger that was.

He'd sort this shower out, old as he is.

He kept the Millers up.

Not sure our fan base has any influence in who we appoint as manager.

To be honest I don't know. It's difficult to pick the right one. It's a complicated job, with numerous issues on and off the pitch, to say the least.

I'm in two minds, thinking we need proven experience like Bruce again (someone like Warnock or Megson for example) but that's short term thinking again, which is one of our many issues.

On the other hand, I would have preferred us to build long term with someone on the rise from the Lower Leagues, like the Cowley Brothers, at the time. Instead of bringing in a short termist journeyman like Monk to replace Bruce. If we can chance that, I'd go for someone like Ainsworth or Flynn for example.

Eventually we need to revamp things on and off the pitch, and to start being more sensible and long term thinking but at the same time, we simply need to stay up.

Edited by The Night-Owl

There’s no one in football I dislike more than Colin

There’s probably no one in football better placed than him to turn this club around.

If he came for a couple of years, I can imagine we’d be in decent shape for a young manager to take over

It would be a very difficult pill to swallow 

5 hours ago, TheLastSleepingGiant said:

Steve Gerrard will shortly be out of work...

I think he'd be a good appointment, but not sure he'd come

Guest gizowl

Warnock till end of season, then take it from there,at the end of the season if DC can't find a buyer, he gets shut of paixo, hires a DOF, someone like Warnock, sets a budget and goes and plays with his other businesses and stays well clear of us. Providing Colin doesn't employ Blackwell as head coach. 

Guest gizowl
38 minutes ago, WBridgfordowl said:

There’s no one in football I dislike more than Colin

There’s probably no one in football better placed than him to turn this club around.

If he came for a couple of years, I can imagine we’d be in decent shape for a young manager to take over

It would be a very difficult pill to swallow 

A difficult pill to swallow would be worth it if it makes you better.