Great article from a City fan

1 minute ago, Big Rons Hairspray said:

I remember reading an article by the comedian Omid Djalili & he said his favourite sporting rivalry was Wednesday & Chelsea from the 80’s cup fixtures.

Theres not much difference traditionally between us, Man City or Chelsea.

The main difference is all about the timing. 

They were allowed to spend unlimited amounts to establish themselves among the elite.

We have had to work on the same budgetary restraints as Barnsley, Luton, Wigan etc, which unless you are very lucky means you enter the annual championship lottery.

15 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

The point was we may have wasted some.

But we have more.

Do you think that the top clubs have got every management recruitment right (Man Utd)?. Every player acquisition correct? No.

But they just go out and spend some more money.

We are not allowed to do that because of some EFL dictate.

We knew the rules, we knew the limits, we have been left with the squad we have despite breaking the limits and yet you disagree that we’ve not spent millions and wasted it 

very odd 

2 minutes ago, torres said:

Eh??

how big is your back pocket??

From the millions and millions spent on 

Rhodes

Van Aken

Abdi

Jones

Hooper 

Matias 

Jones 

Reach 

has been well spent??

I always enjoyed watching Hooper but the rest of that list.......yeah money thrown away

2 minutes ago, torres said:

Eh??

how big is your back pocket??

From the millions and millions spent on 

Rhodes

Van Aken

Abdi

Jones

Hooper 

Matias 

Jones 

Reach 

has been well spent??

Thought i'd covered both points you make.

"In the bigger scheme of things"  eg. (All of these combined don't add up to a moderately expensive prem player)

"(regardless of the 'quality' argument)"  I think everyone agrees it wasn't well spent.

5 minutes ago, torres said:

We knew the rules, we knew the limits, we have been left with the squad we have despite breaking the limits and yet you disagree that we’ve not spent millions and wasted it 

very odd 

Sighs. 

There are three propositions.one is that we have spent money badly. Two us that other clubs eg man u have spent money badly. Three is that we are restrained from spending at what appears to be capacity. 

There is zero intersect between these statements and as it happens all three are true. 

19 minutes ago, briggowl said:

It's well worth reading this before questioning yet another manager I think. 

Monk has his hands tied, I'm not saying he could take us forward or not but it's going to take much more than a manager to actual change this club into anything like a championship force, never mind dreaming of bigger and better. 

We're in desperate need of strategical thinking and planning from top to bottom and though it's painful to admit, the blunts got it just right and are continuing in this vein for the time being. 

They were exceptionally lucky.

It was nothing to do with any strategic planning or long term approach. They had been a shambles, drifting along, basically going nowhere. 

They had a punt on a cheap option who was willing to do things on the cheap due to his allegiance to the club.

Credit to Wilder for what he achieved, but let's not pretend there's a blue print here to follow.

26 minutes ago, torres said:

very odd 

What don't you understand?

I'll write it in small words so you may grasp it.

If it was not for the EFL putting out a rule on the amount of money they will let us spend.

Then we could spend as much money as our chairman wishes.

So    we    have     money.

But   we    are    not   allowed     to    spend   it.

Edited by lanzaroteowl

14 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I am not convinced we are a club with money anymore. Does DC have much himself? 

No idea about the finances, although I'm sure Chansiri is alarmed at the enormous amounts lost for a net outcome of not very much. But he generally seems a lot less interested these days given his lack of presence generally. For the moment, he can't spend even if he wants to. But when those considerations are out of the way can we be confident that he'll want to spend like he did in his first couple of years?

4 hours ago, Animis said:

Nostalgia from opposition fans will gradually fade as they get older and football changes. For these fans, Hillsborough's like a day out at a museum of football days gone by.

As has been said, DC can invest into the ground without breaching FFP but he either doesn't have the long-term plan; the cash; the interest or he sees our future elsewhere.

Why do you think folk go and see stately homes...Why do folk go back to old style telephones, vintage cars etc etc etc,,,Cos you don't know what you got til its gone...

People do actually go to see old grounds...

The souless toilet bowl stadia are crap....you could be in one of about 6 grounds...you would have to guess at the colours of the seats...

Walk into Hillsborough and any fan of most any age knows they are at the home of Sheffield Wednesday Football Club....Long may it continue

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

They were exceptionally lucky.

It was nothing to do with any strategic planning or long term approach. They had been a shambles, drifting along, basically going nowhere. 

They had a punt on a cheap option who was willing to do things on the cheap due to his allegiance to the club.

Credit to Wilder for what he achieved, but let's not pretend there's a blue print here to follow.

There’s some truth in that. There didn’t seem to be much of a blueprint as they went through the likes of Robson, Blackwell, Speed, Adams, Wilson, Weir, Clough and Adkins. You’d think eventually they’d roll a six - they tried often enough.

However their commercial operation and academy setup has been a step up from ours for some time. I was thinking their academy hadn’t developed much of note in recent years and then realised there are at least 6 players recently gone into the Prem that they played some role in developing (Lowton, Brooks, Ramsdale, Adams, Maguire & Calvert Lewin) and they made about £20m in sales from those six alone not including any sell-on fees. 

The last players I can remember coming through our youth/reserve setup and playing in the Prem were Bromby, Geary and Quinn - and of course it’s a depressing irony that they did it playing for United and we made no money off them. 

You couldn’t make it up. 

• Like 1

Here in Manchester both City and United supporters of a certain age have fond memories of SWFC,

their  trips to Hillsbrough and our visits to Manchester. 

Perhaps the most common question I am asked is what has happened to Wednesday why are we no longer in the EPL.

And that I tell them is a long long story with no happy end in sight..

Anyway I enjoyed reading a well written article and wish city well ..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

That is one of the most outstanding pieces of football writing that I've ever seen. In turn profound, perceptive, emotional, funny and erudite. And you are right, it does help to see how the club is perceived from outside.

aaah, I was going to write the exact same thing, was even going to use erudite!

Thank you, Mark Meadowcroft.........a quite beautiful article.