Great article from a City fan

1 hour ago, wakefieldinleed1 said:

But FFP doesn’t stop any spending on stadium.

to get that so wrong, just kills the article 

Think the point is that most owners are unlikely to spend the vast sums of money required to upgrade a Hillsborough without the guarantee (of sorts) of PL football.

Honestly, I think it more likely that someone (Chansiri or another) looks to build a new stadium. 

1 minute ago, billyblack said:

Good article. Enjoyed reading it but sad at the same time.

I do think however we have been masters of our downfall in some way due to poor running for a long time.

That is without question and those failure go all the way back to the mid-90s.

There has been a lack of competency and foresight from those at the top for far too long.

Heart wrenchingly accurate article and very well written. 

Like he said, the ‘West Stand’ should have been rebuilt years ago and we missed a trick not getting the FA to fund it. But then, missing a trick is definitely the  ‘Wednesday’ way.

That's a great article btw.

I might be wrong, but I imagine a lot of City fans who are say 30+ will have a bit of affinity with a club like ours.

They'll know that us and City aren't all that different in many respects or should I say we weren't. The difference is they won the euro millions (billions), whilst we won the postcode lottery...except we then wasted the money and those tw@ts wont go away and keep singing "someone's knocking on your door." :duntmatter:

Edited by SiJ
  • Haha 3

IF any one invests in the stadium it wont be just for football.

A new stadium/improved stadium could be used to hold other sporting events, Boxing, Wrestling, Concerts, festivals etc, plus other sources of income such as retail, entertainment, fitness etc.

Sponsors might be attracted to finance the rebuild.

As for the team, well that should be built up slowly using home grown players and players brought in to do a specific job and not to put "Bum's on seat's" only.

This club has wasted decades, not just the last "2" years on trying to buy short term success instead of investing in the long time future.

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

That's a great article btw.

I might be wrong, but I imagine a lot of City fans who are say 30+ will have a bit of affinity with a club like ours.

They'll know that us and City aren't all that different in many respects or should I say we weren't. The difference is they won the euro millions (billions), whilst we won the postcode lottery...except we then wasted the money and those tw@ts wont go away and keep singing "someone's knocking on your door." :duntmatter:

I remember reading an article by the comedian Omid Djalili & he said his favourite sporting rivalry was Wednesday & Chelsea from the 80’s cup fixtures.

Theres not much difference traditionally between us, Man City or Chelsea.

2 hours ago, torres said:

we have spent it

we have wasted it 

In the bigger scheme of things (regardless of the 'quality' argument) we've spent back pocket money.

Look at what the genius from across the city "who's done it all on a shoestring" has spent. 

6 minutes ago, torres said:

so you don’t think we’ve wasted the millions we’ve spent already??

odd

The point was we may have wasted some.

But we have more.

Do you think that the top clubs have got every management recruitment right (Man Utd)?. Every player acquisition correct? No.

But they just go out and spend some more money.

We are not allowed to do that because of some EFL dictate.

Edited by lanzaroteowl

3 hours ago, Dunkstar said:

https://ninetythreetwenty.com/blog/sheffield-memories-hillsborough-the-curse-of-ffp/

I think it sometimes helps to see how other clubs see us......

That is one of the most outstanding pieces of football writing that I've ever seen. In turn profound, perceptive, emotional, funny and erudite. And you are right, it does help to see how the club is perceived from outside.

54 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

IF any one invests in the stadium it wont be just for football.

A new stadium/improved stadium could be used to hold other sporting events, Boxing, Wrestling, Concerts, festivals etc, plus other sources of income such as retail, entertainment, fitness etc.

Sponsors might be attracted to finance the rebuild.

As for the team, well that should be built up slowly using home grown players and players brought in to do a specific job and not to put "Bum's on seat's" only.

This club has wasted decades, not just the last "2" years on trying to buy short term success instead of investing in the long time future.

Quite. Lack of any stability, vision, leadership, all very clear to see. Slowly decaying before us.

It's well worth reading this before questioning yet another manager I think. 

Monk has his hands tied, I'm not saying he could take us forward or not but it's going to take much more than a manager to actual change this club into anything like a championship force, never mind dreaming of bigger and better. 

We're in desperate need of strategical thinking and planning from top to bottom and though it's painful to admit, the blunts got it just right and are continuing in this vein for the time being. 

13 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

In the bigger scheme of things (regardless of the 'quality' argument) we've spent back pocket money.

Look at what the genius from across the city "who's done it all on a shoestring" has spent. 

Eh??

how big is your back pocket??

From the millions and millions spent on 

Rhodes

Van Aken

Abdi

Jones

Hooper 

Matias 

Jones 

Reach 

has been well spent??

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

Some of the camera angles from the drone/helicopter from the City game actually made me realise what a beautiful stadium we have. If Liverpool can improve and build on Anfield in such a tight location, then we should too (once we eventually get out of this mess, and can invest in it). I’ve spent nearly half my life now dreaming of being back where we belong.