Jump to content
RUMBELOWS91

Coronavirus could cripple EFL clubs

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

With the Premier Lesgue meeting on Mondsy to discuss a possible ban on supporters inside grounds, surely its inevitable that the EFL will be forced to follow their lead.

 

Even if this is not immediately the case, walk up crowds will drop through the floor very quickly as the inevitable panic of an EPL ban kicks in.

 

This time of year will be about the worst time for this to happen in terms of cashflow for many smaller EFL clubs. The previous year's season ticket revenue will.be dwindling and crowds will be beginning to drop off for teams not in the mix for promotion.

 

Many EFL clubs are already hand to mouth at this time of year. An unplanned disappearance of gate receipts could push many to the brink of insolvency very quickly.

 

The EPL will barely feel the pinch. TV revenues will more than compensate for the lack of gate income. In fact it could well be an increase in TV revenue is negotiated as games are televised behind closed doors. This could also be the case for the EFL too to some extent, but Macclesfield v Forest Green isnt going to generate the additional advertisers for the TV companies that Arsenal V Chelsea will. Recompense for lower EFL clubs is likely to be dismal.

 

With all this in mind, it may follow that the only way for the smaller clubs to survive this gathering storm is to look for support from the EPL. Are they likely to oblige?

 

For.larger EFL clubs such as ourselves, will we be allowed to look towards benefactors such as our wealthy Chairman to bridge the financial gap, and if so how will this effect P&S?

 

The coming months could well test how deep the pockets are of some EFL Chairman.

 

Edited by RUMBELOWS91
  • Agree 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Morepork said:

I feel like we’re rapidly reaching a point where the virus is no longer containable, the elderly and people with medical conditions should exercise all the precautions they can take. The rest of us just need to get on with our lives because quite frankly the economies of the world can’t afford to stop for this. The truth of the matter is that the implications to people’s lives will be more widely felt through their jobs and wallets than through any long term risk to health.


We are, at least semi-officially. 
 

We’re essentially past the “contain” phase of the disease, where the aim was to prevent the spread of it. We’re now approaching full “delay”, where it’s accepted the disease will spread, but the aim is to delay it until the summer months when the impact on anyone contracting it will be reduced. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's ok, the EFL have financial controls in place (FFP) to make sure clubs operate sustainably and can therefore cope with  short term issues, right? :ph34r:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The containment efforts China have made will far outweigh ours. I believe Singapore has pretty much contained it. 

 

Capitalism has no answer to this. It will ravage America worst of all but could collapse our economy. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its weird how Italy has got so many cases and deaths now.

Cant work it out as to why? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

Its weird how Italy has got so many cases and deaths now.

Cant work it out as to why? 

That Mediterranean diet.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This could be a great time for the EFL to finally realise that loads of clubs are on the brink of oblivion and that the EFL as an organisation are useless at preventing it.

 

Its also typical of people to go into panic mode because of yet another doomsday virus

 

I bet most of them are amazed we’re all still here after the Y2K bug passed us by without incident 

 

As long as people remain uneducated governments will continue to exploit them

  • Agree 1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the club had listened to me and banned over 45's to improve the atmosphere, we would be ahead of the game now and it wouldn't be an issue.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, simple84 said:

A bit of refreshing perspective compared to the hysteria being pumped out to us at every opportunity:

 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/07/coronavirus-reasons-to-be-reassured?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

 

Thanks for posting this. Unfortunately the media love to send us all into a good panic and this message won't go very far. 

 

In the meantime let's strip the supermarket shelves empty on th away to oblivion...

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Morepork said:

I feel like we’re rapidly reaching a point where the virus is no longer containable, the elderly and people with medical conditions should exercise all the precautions they can take. The rest of us just need to get on with our lives because quite frankly the economies of the world can’t afford to stop for this. The truth of the matter is that the implications to people’s lives will be more widely felt through their jobs and wallets than through any long term risk to health.

 

If I was over 60 I would only go out very occasionally, e.g. for food shopping, but maybe do it when it will be quiet.

Very difficult for those still in work or needing outside help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Morepork said:

I feel like we’re rapidly reaching a point where the virus is no longer containable, the elderly and people with medical conditions should exercise all the precautions they can take. The rest of us just need to get on with our lives because quite frankly the economies of the world can’t afford to stop for this. The truth of the matter is that the implications to people’s lives will be more widely felt through their jobs and wallets than through any long term risk to health.

 

Totally agree mate. You can't sit and worry about what might happen. You could get run over by a bus today, you could fly and be in a place crash, you could drop dead with a heart attack today. You can't go through life worrying about what might happen. Just crack on as normal. Otherwise you will sent yourself insane. 

  • Agree 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

Its weird how Italy has got so many cases and deaths now.

Cant work it out as to why? 

 

Italy has one of the largest elderly populations in the world. That's one of the explanations I read

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

 

Totally agree mate. You can't sit and worry about what might happen. You could get run over by a bus today, you could fly and be in a place crash, you could drop dead with a heart attack today. You can't go through life worrying about what might happen. Just crack on as normal. Otherwise you will sent yourself insane. 

 

Too right - I spend all day and night worrying about a frozen solid castaway asylum seeker falling from the undercarriage of a passing jet and crushing me. Still hasn't happened funnily enough.

Edited by ChinaOwl
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

With the Premier Lesgue meeting on Mondsy to discuss a possible ban on supporters inside grounds, surely its inevitable that the EFL will be forced to follow their lead.

 

Even if this is not immediately the case, walk up crowds will drop through the floor very quickly as the inevitable panic of an EPL ban kicks in.

 

This time of year will be about the worst time for this to happen in terms of cashflow for many smaller EFL clubs. The previous year's season ticket revenue will.be dwindling and crowds will be beginning to drop off for teams not in the mix for promotion.

 

Many EFL clubs are already hand to mouth at this time of year. An unplanned disappearance of gate receipts could push many to the brink of insolvency very quickly.

 

The EPL will barely feel the pinch. TV revenues will more than compensate for the lack of gate income. In fact it could well be an increase in TV revenue is negotiated as games are televised behind closed doors. This could also be the case for the EFL too to some extent, but Macclesfield v Forest Green isnt going to generate the additional advertisers for the TV companies that Arsenal V Chelsea will. Recompense for lower EFL clubs is likely to be dismal.

 

With all this in mind, it may follow that the only way for the smaller clubs to survive this gathering storm is to look for support from the EPL. Are they likely to oblige?

 

For.larger EFL clubs such as ourselves, will we be allowed to look towards benefactors such as our wealthy Chairman to bridge the financial gap, and if so how will this effect P&S?

 

The coming months could well test how deep the pockets are of some EFL Chairman.

 


I’m always amazed how people can literally link anything back to the effect it would have on Wednesday and/or other football clubs.

 

 

Edited by ka58

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

Its weird how Italy has got so many cases and deaths now.

Cant work it out as to why? 

 

Notorious for not washing their hands after going to the toilet and kissing each other.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Premier League might hand out cash to EFL clubs per fixture called off. 

 

Then again they might not do anything. There is quite a few teams to help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

 

Notorious for not washing their hands after going to the toilet and kissing each other.

On the rare occasion that I kiss the missus I always ensure its followed by a thorough hand wash 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

Its weird how Italy has got so many cases and deaths now.

Cant work it out as to why? 

Because they’re dirty dawgs and love to spread their bodily fluids.

 

Flights booked.

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...