Monk on social media haters and how players are affected

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

My point was that I’m a similar age to a lot of our players so was thinking if I could do without it why couldn’t they.. and I think a lot of my mates are the same with it. I guess if you’re 21 not 31 you’ve had all this since you were 10 and it’s been a part of your school life.. not sure if that makes a difference 

I think it's younger than that. They're brought up wi it. 

I didn't have a mobile till I was 22.  

Remember running off to the phone box down the road to ring the bird because I dint want family nebbin if I used the house phone. 

Kids now can conduct their entire lives from their rooms if they want to. 

As they get older perhaps like us they'll ease out of it. 

But with technology advancing maybe things will get even worse.

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I’d imagine that the players do come on here.. but for a laugh a lot of the time to take the p*ss out of each other. Can’t imagine many of them obsess over our comments and scroll through them on their own. They must have much better things to do when they have active social lives and plenty of money

They might come on here for a laugh. 

But even so they're human. Seeing yourself being slagged to hell every single week by anonymous mudslingers can still have a negative effect.

If you're someone with low confidence anyway its going to have a bigger psychological effect. 

Think we all too easily forget players are human beings sometimes.

They're just 'players' to us. They should toughen up or give it up.

Etc etc. 

Yet we know from the number of sports people who have mentioned and come forward in recent years that even some of the perceived toughest people about can be struggling internally.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Perhaps if the manager was doing his job right, and we were winning games, instead of getting battered every week, the players wouldn’t be getting hammered on social media. Just a thought.

Personally don’t think there is anything wrong with people having an opinion. There is no need for personal abuse though, if a player is under performing I think a bit of criticism is fair enough as long as it doesn’t get personal towards them or their family. Critique their performance but not them as a person. 

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

What's theology got to do with it? 

Humankind having something good and screwing it up.

Christian theology of the fall.

You did ask...

:biggrin:

Edited by Rev Owl

2 minutes ago, Rev Owl said:

Humankind having something good and screwing it up.

Christian theology of the fall.

You did ask...

:biggrin:

Yeah but that's just an abstract thing nothing tangible behind it.

Nothing good about it  when religion goes unchecked it would have teenage sulkers, adulterers, and gay people stoned to death. 

16 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Yeah but that's just an abstract thing nothing tangible behind it.

Nothing good about it  when religion goes unchecked it would have teenage sulkers, adulterers, and gay people stoned to death. 

In a sense that sums up the thread albeit in a non-footballing sphere.

Social media tends towards sweeping statement, unfortunately sometimes dismissing or ridiculing groups of people with a straw man argument.

Nuance and discussion are difficult and by necessity often long winded.

The best we can hope for is respect and a consideration of how posts affect the reader before we press send.

I'm no less guilty than the next fan of that.

Just now, Rev Owl said:

In a sense that sums up the thread albeit in a non-footballing sphere.

Social media tends towards sweeping statement, unfortunately sometimes dismissing or ridiculing groups of people with a straw man argument.

Nuance and discussion are difficult and by necessity often long winded.

The best we can hope for is respect and a consideration of how posts affect the reader before we press send.

I'm no less guilty than the next fan of that.

Yep have cringed with some of my posts, try to fact check them before sending.  But when I've had a few pints at the game I get triggered and fire back when I get home and see posts attacking the players and club.

So apologise to anyone I'm gonna have a pop at in advance of todays result lol 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, DEH9 said:

I think it's younger than that. They're brought up wi it. 

I didn't have a mobile till I was 22.  

Remember running off to the phone box down the road to ring the bird because I dint want family nebbin if I used the house phone. 

Kids now can conduct their entire lives from their rooms if they want to. 

As they get older perhaps like us they'll ease out of it. 

But with technology advancing maybe things will get even worse.

They might come on here for a laugh. 

But even so they're human. Seeing yourself being slagged to hell every single week by anonymous mudslingers can still have a negative effect.

If you're someone with low confidence anyway its going to have a bigger psychological effect. 

Think we all too easily forget players are human beings sometimes.

They're just 'players' to us. They should toughen up or give it up.

Etc etc. 

Yet we know from the number of sports people who have mentioned and come forward in recent years that even some of the perceived toughest people about can be struggling internally.

The polarisation of politics around the world is down largely to social media . Each group only interacts with different groups when throwing abuse at each other from social media platforms, then only talk to reasonable to people who share their beliefs so it just gets enforced that their view is right and any other view is wrong there is no middle ground.

22 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

"What I have tried to do is keep showing them that trust. Of course, there comes a point over a certain period where if that is not shown back then you obviously have a certain decision to make."

Astute comments overall from the manager.

Wonder if he was also trying to make a slightly different point at the same time?