Monk on social media haters and how players are affected

4 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

Then give them training on how to deal with public criticism. Any person in any job where they are in the public eye will have to live with criticism. It goes with the territory and I bet they themselves use social media to criticise other people whether they are pop stars, politicians, other sports personalities or whoever.

That's  like teaching people how to deal with been punched, you can't as it bloody hurts whatever you do.

Trust humankind to invent the best mass communication tool ever then completely mess it up and abuse it.

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

That's  like teaching people how to deal with been punched, you can't as it bloody hurts whatever you do.

Trust humankind to invent the best mass communication tool ever then completely mess it up and abuse it.

Aye, like Alexander Graeme Bell didn't have personal pension salesmen in mind when he invented the telephone. WTF:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

Oh, maybe I didn't read the article properly, just skimmed it. Then yes, I agree.

Criticism is an issue. I'm not ainming this post at you by the way.

The majority of posters on here are supporters and haven't played the game at the top level. Some have played non league, some Sunday morning football. We've probably all watched a lot of football and think we are experts. We aren't and I include myself in that.

We've got every right to post on here and discuss players, criticise players if we want, hopefully constructive but it isn't always. The thing is, what we post isn't for the players consumption, they are better not reading it.

We don't know the professional game, the reality is different, the pressures are different, we can't understand, we don't understand even though we think we do. Most posters see things as black or white, great or disasterous rather than shades of grey, nuances.

The players shouldn't read Owlstalk it's not meant for them, it's for us. They should find their positive reinforcement from their friends, family, schoolmates and other players, managers and professional advisors like physios, coaches and the rest. Their opinions matter not ours.

I don't care what people think about me, If I don't know someone, they probably don't know me. There are some people I look up to, who I respect, I really do care what they think, I want their approval because that shows I'm on the right track. Professional footballers should do the same. Find approval from people you respect.

Well said Garry.

Being a manager who is young and yet still very experienced has got him very clued up when it comes to the pitfalls of being a football player at a big club.

The problem with social media, Twitter in particularly, is the lack of accountability.  You can literally say whatever you want about whoever you want, directly to them or out into the open with zero consequence.  Bonkers really when you think about it.

3 hours ago, Grandad said:

They're coming back because I'm back on

It's the equivalent of us bringing Ron Atkinson back for a second term

(Without the racism)

Will Neil be getting rid of you at the end of the season then? :ph34r:

4 hours ago, bladeshater said:

The negativity kills the forum Neil 

To me it often seems busier when we have got something to moan about and at the moment we have got plenty. Sadly, most of the negativity is a reflection of what the club is serving up and at the moment we don't have a great deal to be positive about.

There were plenty of cautiously optimistic posts after the Charlton game but that was forgotten after half an hour of the Derby game. The most positive aspect of the last two months is probably the fact Man city didn't give us a tonking!  

Guest The Horse

Although we have our fair share of idiots, I reckon a good proportion of 'fans' giving our players and staff abuse are disguised blunts.

They're still absolutely obsessed with us and are vile, nasty flaps as a collective.

Edited by The Horse
Stupid auto correct

53 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

Well said Garry.

Being a manager who is young and yet still very experienced has got him very clued up when it comes to the pitfalls of being a football player at a big club.

The problem with social media, Twitter in particularly, is the lack of accountability.  You can literally say whatever you want about whoever you want, directly to them or out into the open with zero consequence.  Bonkers really when you think about it.

I agree, although that same thing also means it is possible to voice an opinion on things that might not otherwise be possible, and to communicate with people across the world and find answers to questions - the internet really is an amazing thing in that sense, but it can also go the wrong way as well as you say

17 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

Social medias all part of the game today,players that cant handle it need to get in people who can to do it on their behalf,not like they cant afford it is it?

It's not part of the job though is it - they're paid to play football and help get results.

Take any of our players - whether young or old. Social media and related abuse has only kicked in during the last 2-3 years max. These players have been training and making their way being a professional footballer for at least 10, 15, 20, 30 years and have earned their place towards the top of the tree.

Sure, they're well paid for it but I'd sure not want that if it meant getting a tonne of abuse multiple times a day by apparent 'fans' of my own club - just because I misplaced a pass, scuffed a clearance or got caught in possession in a couple of games.

We all have a choice of the club we support. We've chosen Sheffield Wednesday - maybe it's best to support the players who wear the badge rather than try to destroy them.

Edited by davey_wells

3 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Hang on a mo, theology?

Bless you :biggrin:

2 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

It's not part of the job though is it - they're paid to play football and help get results.

Take any of our players - whether young or old. Social media and related abuse has only kicked in during the last 2-3 years max. These players have been training and making their way being a professional footballer for at least 10, 15, 20, 30 years and have earned their place towards the top of the tree.

Sure, they're well paid for it but I'd sure not want that if it meant getting a tonne of abuse multiple times a day by apparent 'fans' of my own club - just because I misplaced a pass, scuffed a clearance or got caught in possession in a couple of games.

We all have a choice of the club we support. We've chosen Sheffield Wednesday - maybe it's best to support the players who wear the badge rather than try to destroy them.

Course it is the football club has its own twitter page,and the majority of the first team and predominantly the youth players are all on social media,football has a HUGE social media profile,so managing that side of the media is absolutely a players responsibilty

Guest LondonOwl313

I don’t get all the posters who basically say that players have a right to use social media with no negative comments on there at all even if they aren’t performing in their job.

Firstly it’s not realistic.. all social media has these extreme opinions on there, it’s not realistic to remove troll comments. If people go too far and commit a criminal offence that’s one thing and it needs dealing with. But other negativity is part and parcel of it.. you can’t start picking and choosing what people say or we’d end up like a dictatorship country.

So you have to accept that you can use social media and receive praise and criticism, sometimes unjustly. For every troll there’s someone else going over the top with the brown nosing. Or you can just not use it at all, it has minimal social use tbh. It’s a choice they have to make, you can’t pick and choose which elements you want to keep and which you don’t as it’s just not realistic.

3 hours ago, prowl said:

Criticism is an issue. I'm not ainming this post at you by the way.

The majority of posters on here are supporters and haven't played the game at the top level. Some have played non league, some Sunday morning football. We've probably all watched a lot of football and think we are experts. We aren't and I include myself in that.

We've got every right to post on here and discuss players, criticise players if we want, hopefully constructive but it isn't always. The thing is, what we post isn't for the players consumption, they are better not reading it.

We don't know the professional game, the reality is different, the pressures are different, we can't understand, we don't understand even though we think we do. Most posters see things as black or white, great or disasterous rather than shades of grey, nuances.

The players shouldn't read Owlstalk it's not meant for them, it's for us. They should find their positive reinforcement from their friends, family, schoolmates and other players, managers and professional advisors like physios, coaches and the rest. Their opinions matter not ours.

I don't care what people think about me, If I don't know someone, they probably don't know me. There are some people I look up to, who I respect, I really do care what they think, I want their approval because that shows I'm on the right track. Professional footballers should do the same. Find approval from people you respect.

The problem is that the approval the players are looking for the most is from the fans.

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
10 minutes ago, DEH9 said:

Telling a young person to opt out of social media is like going back 30 years and telling folks not to go to the boozer. 

If that were true then they need to learn to deal with the comments they get on there whether good or bad. i.e. find a coping mechanism for blocking out negativity

I’m 31 and had Facebook when it first came out in 2006.. got rid of it a few years ago as it’s pointless. I’ve got twitter but can take it or leave it, and I think most people on there are loons. My point is.. I could just not touch it and it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest, it’s a waste of time. Unless 25 year olds are completely different and for some reason need it, I can’t see why they can’t just not use it 

2 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

If that were true then they need to learn to deal with the comments they get on there whether good or bad. i.e. find a coping mechanism for blocking out negativity

I’m 31 and had Facebook when it first came out in 2006.. got rid of it a few years ago as it’s pointless. I’ve got twitter but can take it or leave it, and I think most people on there are loons. My point is.. I could just not touch it and it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest, it’s a waste of time. Unless 25 year olds are completely different and for some reason need it, I can’t see why they can’t just not use it 

It's part of their everyday lives. 

I'm not on twitter.  I keep me Facebook to keep in contact with family and ex team mates etc.  

But for the kids when so many of your mates use it you risk being left out of you dont. Which doesn't bother me as a middle aged bloke. But the younger end it's a different game. 

Even if yer don't have twitter, instagram etc . If you're in the public eye how tempted would you be to Google you're own name now and again? 

Temptation must be massive. Folks always wonder what folks are saying behind their backs. These days they can find out..

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, DEH9 said:

It's part of their everyday lives. 

I'm not on twitter.  I keep me Facebook to keep in contact with family and ex team mates etc.  

But for the kids when so many of your mates use it you risk being left out of you dont. Which doesn't bother me as a middle aged bloke. But the younger end it's a different game. 

Even if yer don't have twitter, instagram etc . If you're in the public eye how tempted would you be to Google you're own name now and again? 

Temptation must be massive. Folks always wonder what folks are saying behind their backs. These days they can find out..

My point was that I’m a similar age to a lot of our players so was thinking if I could do without it why couldn’t they.. and I think a lot of my mates are the same with it. I guess if you’re 21 not 31 you’ve had all this since you were 10 and it’s been a part of your school life.. not sure if that makes a difference 

I’d imagine that the players do come on here.. but for a laugh a lot of the time to take the p*ss out of each other. Can’t imagine many of them obsess over our comments and scroll through them on their own. They must have much better things to do when they have active social lives and plenty of money