Monk on social media haters and how players are affected

Guest LondonOwl313

Tbh if you can't take it you're not mentally strong enough to make it as a pro. Wouldn't bother me one bit as I got in my Bentley... I'd feel superior to fat old men giving me abuse

Howling them out on the pitch must have a greater effect on players...Stood there in front of thousands...

I mean look what we call each other on here?

I now its not the same, but f.ook me its idiots like ourselves tip tapping it out...I bet the players and coaching staff read it for a laugh as much as owt.

But ..you can't turn off the vitriol pouring off the terraces, you can't choose not to hear it

I don’t think it’s as easy as saying stay off it. It’s the main way young people communicate these days and I presume players have some commitments to charity stuff etc which is often promoted through social media. 

Maybe our players need to just stick to Owlstalk - can always rely on constructive supportive criticism on here.  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Howling them out on the pitch must have a greater effect on players...Stood there in front of thousands...

I mean look what we call each other on here?

I now its not the same, but f.ook me its idiots like ourselves tip tapping it out...I bet the players and coaching staff read it for a laugh as much as owt.

But ..you can't turn off the vitriol pouring off the terraces, you can't choose not to hear it

they could give this a go:

Eric Dier

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

What monk said is true been saying for a long time this forum as lost its appeal all the decent.posters have left the forum is intoxicated with whinging morons but there are still a few decent ones left

Basically you’re saying that less people agree with your current views on things?

Owlstalk Shop

17 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

The negativity kills the forum Neil 

How come it’s getting busier and busier with more people reading and using the site than ever then?

Ultimately the club has been through good times and bad, and when it goes through bad times like currently, it’s seen as a negative when in fact fans are simply stating their opinions and trying to understand where the club can come good again

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

When players are getting criticism, what do you try and do to combat that? Do you give them extra help?

You speak with players but it is part of the job. Even if we won every game this season, there would still be critics and people questioning certain things. That's just a way of the industry we are in and you have to be able to take that.

Of course, you try and give them advice and help them through it. I work with these players every single day and see the commitment, attitude and what I feel they can offer. You have to give them the trust to go onto a football pitch.

What I have tried to do is keep showing them that trust. Of course, there comes a point over a certain period where if that is not shown back then you obviously have a certain decision to make.

I think it is part and parcel of the job. If you come into a professional football - and I have spoken to a lot of the younger lads about it - you have to be able to deal with that (criticism).

You are always going to have critics and people that want to put you down or put a negative slant on everything. That is the world you live in.

It is for you to be very single-minded in that moment and understand what you want and can do better. A lot of the times you're your own worst critic.

It is about understanding yourself and what you need to do. Of course, we try and advise them and give them that trust and help.

But it is for them to have that mentality to fight through any negatives they might be facing and come out on top.

Do you think the younger players are going to be able to cope with these kind of things better?

Social media has definitely changed the dynamic. I think what it has changed the most is that need for approval. Social media has changed that. I think players seek approval on social media.

But you have to be very careful on social media as everyone has got an opinion and quite rightly so. You understand that but most of it is negative and I think that is the world that we live in.

Everyone wants to be negative right now and there is very rarely anything positive that is put towards you. It is abuse. 

Unfortunately, I think the mentality has changed throughout football, especially young players coming through because that is all they really know. They seek approval from that (social media).

I always try and advise the young players that the only approval they need to seek is that of yourself, the people that mean the most to you and your manager.

That is who you need to seek that approval from, not someone who doesn't know you, probably doesn't even come to the games, supports another club or is on there pretending to be someone else that is abusing you but you don't need that approval. 

It is very difficult because that is the world they have grown up in.

I have noticed it a lot. Players can be straight on there before or after games looking to see what the comments were and what was said about them.

They seek that approval and I have seen that a lot so it is try and advise that you can still do that and you can't get away from it but you have to be very careful that that is not the approval you are seeking.

A lot of that is not real. There are some genuine ones on there but the most genuine ones are positive. Even if they criticise, it is constructive.

I think the thing you probably thought media wise when I was a player was could you get a six or seven out of 10 on a Sunday morning in a paper! That was all you used to think about whereas now it has changed completely. 

You have got people coming from all sorts of angles. If I am honest, most of it is critical and most of it is abuse.

You have to be able to separate what is right and what is the thing to focus on and that is what I try to advise young players.

Any chance you could cut that down into 280 characters? #justsaying 

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

How come it’s getting busier and busier with more people reading and using the site than ever then?

They're coming back because I'm back on

It's the equivalent of us bringing Ron Atkinson back for a second term

(Without the racism)

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Because the Samaritans have started posting links to this site.

They have found it an effective way of increasing traffic through their own site. :ph34r:

• Haha 2

We'd be daft to think or doesn't affect folks.

You only have to see the effect ot has on young kids generally. 

Not a week goes by without some school kid topping em sens coz they've been bullied in their own homes via the Internet. 

Even on here , which is much lighter hearted than the vitriolic facebook and twitter you can't go a day without certain players being slagged to hell.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

2 hours ago, bladeshater said:

What monk said is true been saying for a long time this forum as lost its appeal all the decent.posters have left the forum is intoxicated with whinging morons but there are still a few decent ones left

Aww thanks 

Edited by s73owl
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

When players are getting criticism, what do you try and do to combat that? Do you give them extra help?

You speak with players but it is part of the job. Even if we won every game this season, there would still be critics and people questioning certain things. That's just a way of the industry we are in and you have to be able to take that.

Of course, you try and give them advice and help them through it. I work with these players every single day and see the commitment, attitude and what I feel they can offer. You have to give them the trust to go onto a football pitch.

What I have tried to do is keep showing them that trust. Of course, there comes a point over a certain period where if that is not shown back then you obviously have a certain decision to make.

I think it is part and parcel of the job. If you come into a professional football - and I have spoken to a lot of the younger lads about it - you have to be able to deal with that (criticism).

You are always going to have critics and people that want to put you down or put a negative slant on everything. That is the world you live in.

It is for you to be very single-minded in that moment and understand what you want and can do better. A lot of the times you're your own worst critic.

It is about understanding yourself and what you need to do. Of course, we try and advise them and give them that trust and help.

But it is for them to have that mentality to fight through any negatives they might be facing and come out on top.

Do you think the younger players are going to be able to cope with these kind of things better?

Social media has definitely changed the dynamic. I think what it has changed the most is that need for approval. Social media has changed that. I think players seek approval on social media.

But you have to be very careful on social media as everyone has got an opinion and quite rightly so. You understand that but most of it is negative and I think that is the world that we live in.

Everyone wants to be negative right now and there is very rarely anything positive that is put towards you. It is abuse. 

Unfortunately, I think the mentality has changed throughout football, especially young players coming through because that is all they really know. They seek approval from that (social media).

I always try and advise the young players that the only approval they need to seek is that of yourself, the people that mean the most to you and your manager.

That is who you need to seek that approval from, not someone who doesn't know you, probably doesn't even come to the games, supports another club or is on there pretending to be someone else that is abusing you but you don't need that approval. 

It is very difficult because that is the world they have grown up in.

I have noticed it a lot. Players can be straight on there before or after games looking to see what the comments were and what was said about them.

They seek that approval and I have seen that a lot so it is try and advise that you can still do that and you can't get away from it but you have to be very careful that that is not the approval you are seeking.

A lot of that is not real. There are some genuine ones on there but the most genuine ones are positive. Even if they criticise, it is constructive.

I think the thing you probably thought media wise when I was a player was could you get a six or seven out of 10 on a Sunday morning in a paper! That was all you used to think about whereas now it has changed completely. 

You have got people coming from all sorts of angles. If I am honest, most of it is critical and most of it is abuse.

You have to be able to separate what is right and what is the thing to focus on and that is what I try to advise young players.

Problem easily solved.

DONT GO ON SOCIAL MEDIA.FFS.