2 minutes ago, alanharper said:

We were 17th when Bruce started. Ended up comfortably midtable, organised, difficult to beat and had a chance of the playoffs up until the last few games, would've finished 9th but for a last game blip. With a manager renowned for building promotion winning teams in this league, knew his preferred team and system, and who signed Borner, Iorfa and Harris for a combined £200k.

But yeah, it's so much better under Monk...

The point was about legacy  - 4 months is neither here or there

the first 3 months Monk was in charge we were 3rd - if he left would we be discussing his legacy??

How he changed Fletcher into the leagues best forward?

How he transformed Iorfa from an average full back to a commanding centre back?

The ability to become the leagues top away scorers?

21 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Of course the last manager to get us promoted was the massive personality that was Dave ‘ the builder’ Jones, a man who had the personality and face of someone who was being permanently told his jackpot winning lottery ticket was null and void.

But he built on the legacy of The Chosen One.

Managing SWFC in its current state is a huge task for any manager, Bruce had a look and decided he couldn't hack it, he left a nasty stain not a legacy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Owls Loyal said:

With two games coming up against teams in the Championship Play Off spots the end could well be nigh for Monk.

We will be able to look back on very little of note regarding his time in charge as even before Christmas when he enjoyed the benefits of Steve Bruce's legacy the results were decent but the performances were poor.

Since then at SWFC he has produced:

Toxic atmosphere

Bizarre team selections

Counter-productive substitutions

Above all though Monk's personality does not in my view fit Sheffield Wednesday.

Look at our successful managers: Big Jack, Sgt Wilko, Big Ron, Paul Sturrock.  They all had big personalities.

Monk on the other hand is arrogant, stubborn and I have to say deadly boring.

FFS!, change the friggin record or name the "Bug personality" who can change this shower of perennial losers into a winning TEAM.

I doubt if Jesus and his dad could do that.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, torres said:

Started in 12th 

Ended in 12th

Left!!

= Legacy???

Was just about to reply pretty much word for word until I saw your post!

• Like 1

No point saying "sack Monk" unless you can come up with a realistic and worthwhile replacement. And there is no one who will take the club on in the current circumstances.

In any case the manager is the least of our problems.

15 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Monk will be here next season

I don’t think he will be?

I had the pleasure when one of my offspring was Wednesday's mascot (in the days when there was just one main mascot) of being in the Changing Room with Paul Sturrock and his Promotion winning team.

Such was the respect for the Scot that you could hear a pin drop when he spoke.

I felt it was respect and who knows a bit of fear.  Sturrock joined in the club September and got us promoted in Cardiff in May at the end of his first season.

I can assure you that he had a big personality.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Bruce's "legacy" is pi55ing off having been in the job for barely six months. 

He was a good manager though and his spell in charge is the best we've looked since the first two seasons of Carlos. 

We seemed to have a bit of an identity back and played a direct, but reasonably pleasing brand of football. 

Now we just sort of well hoof it when we shouldn't, pass it when we shouldn't and make bad defensive errors. 

In saying that, who is to know what would have happened if Bruce stayed. 

He's had fallow periods in his career before and, if there is one thing we can count on with this current group of players, it is that they'll happily throw a manager under a bus as and when it suits them. 

Bruce was/is a far better manager than Garry Monk though. 

Edited by SiJ

5 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

I had the pleasure when one of my offspring was Wednesday's mascot (in the days when there was just one main mascot) of being in the Changing Room with Paul Sturrock and his Promotion winning team.

I felt it was respect and who knows a bit of fear.  Sturrock joined in the club September and got us promoted in Cardiff in May at the end of his first season.

Just come up with the name of who YOU want, NOW, not some one from 15 years ago.

6 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I don’t think he will be?

Fair enough

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, boomshaketheroom said:

My windows need cleaning, will you come and lick them?

Just not politically correct, but couldn't stop laughing.

:ohmy:

11 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

And how do we know that doesn't happen now? 

40 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Of course the last manager to get us promoted was the massive personality that was Dave ‘ the builder’ Jones, a man who had the personality and face of someone who was being permanently told his jackpot winning lottery ticket was null and void.

But didn't Dave Jones take a team built by the guy before him, add Antonio a guy signed by the guy before him and not mess with team selection, pick the same 10 or 11 players and we got promoted with him. When he had chance to bring players in, he did not last long and was soon replaced.

Compare that to Monk, a man who does not play his best team, changes tactics and personnel every match and at half time too, plays negative football looking to win by the odd goal, but with the weakness in defense we need at least 2 goals a game to have any chance of winning. The team under monks 30 games in charge have managed to score more than 1 goal just 7 times, so we need a solid tight defense to get anything from games and with Lees and Dawson in that back 5 we don't have a chance.

We might not need a manager with a big character but we do need an manager that does not hold grudges against every single person he comes across, no one likes GM in any of his old teams, the fans hate him and the playing staff very rarely have anything good to say about him. Have all these people got a problem or it is more likely that GM is the problem. Just 40 and already had 5 different clubs none lasting more than a season that's a worst record than Carlos.

DC has reportedly made a decision that Monk will be here next season.

Whether you like Monk or not (personally I'm ambivelent), why not support, rather than try to undermine. 

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

But didn't Dave Jones take a team built by the guy before him, add Antonio a guy signed by the guy before him and not mess with team selection, pick the same 10 or 11 players and we got promoted with him. When he had chance to bring players in, he did not last long and was soon replaced.

Compare that to Monk, a man who does not play his best team, changes tactics and personnel every match and at half time too, plays negative football looking to win by the odd goal, but with the weakness in defense we need at least 2 goals a game to have any chance of winning. The team under monks 30 games in charge have managed to score more than 1 goal just 7 times, so we need a solid tight defense to get anything from games and with Lees and Dawson in that back 5 we don't have a chance.

We might not need a manager with a big character but we do need an manager that does not hold grudges against every single person he comes across, no one likes GM in any of his old teams, the fans hate him and the playing staff very rarely have anything good to say about him. Have all these people got a problem or it is more likely that GM is the problem. Just 40 and already had 5 different clubs none lasting more than a season that's a worst record than Carlos.

This is the most ridiculous accusation ever to be levelled at a football manager, who would you have picked differently in the starting lineup for the Derby game?

Its all very well saying we need a manager with "personality"...who?

Who in their right minds would take this over, ..Manager with a split personality maybe?

Who in their right mind of any note?

Sure theres hunderds would take a punt cos its Sheffield Wednesday...But anyone in the know about the state of the club at the minute, who's got anything like a reputation?

I honestly can't see it 

9 minutes ago, room0035 said:

What is Monks best team? And what is his best formation?

1 hour ago, Owls Loyal said:

With two games coming up against teams in the Championship Play Off spots the end could well be nigh for Monk.

We will be able to look back on very little of note regarding his time in charge as even before Christmas when he enjoyed the benefits of Steve Bruce's legacy the results were decent but the performances were poor.

Since then at SWFC he has produced:

Toxic atmosphere

Bizarre team selections

Counter-productive substitutions

Above all though Monk's personality does not in my view fit Sheffield Wednesday.

Look at our successful managers: Big Jack, Sgt Wilko, Big Ron, Paul Sturrock.  They all had big personalities.

Monk on the other hand is arrogant, stubborn and I have to say deadly boring.

Why do you always support him and look for the positives, he's far worse than that.