CROWD ON WEDNESDAY

Watching Derby v Manure last night & got me thinking about the comparisons with us & them.

Traditional club like us.

Not done much recently like us.

Have multiple recent play off failures, bit like us.

Are one place below us in the league.

Have a controversial owner like us.

Their pricing structure is not unlike ours. 

They do the much mocked 'Multiple season' deals like us.

There cheapest season tickets are £435 & most expensive £640 (from memory) and the cost of their recent game with Barnsley (presumably a low category game) was cheapest £33.00.

They are in the financial sh*t like us.

They are under the cosh from the EFL for their ground sale, like us.

So pretty similar in all respects for everything that we are slated mercilessly for.

Prior to last nights match, playing similar sort of high profile opposition, I wondered if the 'loyal' Derby fans would react to all their equivalent 'mismanagement' & underachievement in the same way as our 'loyal' lot.

Opening bit of the commentary. " Big game tonight, Manchester United have brought 5000 fans and as you would expect from Derby County supporters, it is a total sell out".

A lot like us in most things. Draw your own conclusions about the rest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Derby hasnt been out of the top flight for 20 years or had stints in League one for four seasons and have always been challenging for promotion, gained promotion in 06 to the PL.

Their chairman is a big Derby fan and has spent a fortune.

They also moved from a crumbling old small ground to a bigger modern one.

Apart from that you have a point.

Yep, loads of our fans didn't turn up on Wednesday night for one reason or another. The reasons have been explained and discussed on here numerous times. Those of us that went supported the club financially and vocally for the whole game. We have a hardcore support of about 20k. We have a floating support of similar. We have a passing support of about the same. So 60k or so that we can tap into when the going is good. The going isn't good at the moment so the 20k was made up of hardcore and floating supporters the other night. Many season ticket holders, rest potg regulars. Add in some first timers cos it was man City and that's you're makeup I reckon. 

Not sure what point I'm making but it all just tumbled out. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Derby's results since Xmas have been top 3, ours have been shocking as have the performances.

Rooney has the X factor and he was playing against his old club.

Man Utd, unlike City, seen as that bit more beatable so a possible shock more likely.

Derby are a one city team, that don't happen to have neighbours in the PL having their best season for decades. 

Just now, Ronnie Starling said:

We fail to sell tickets for a cup game against one of the best teams in the world. Maybe our support base isn't as good as we would like to think it is.

Didnt we sell out against Arsenal though when the players looked like they gave a shitt.

Its a 2 way street pal.

6 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Derby's results since Xmas have been top 3, ours have been shocking as have the performances.

Rooney has the X factor and he was playing against his old club.

Man Utd, unlike City, seen as that bit more beatable so a possible shock more likely.

Derby are a one city team, that don't happen to have neighbours in the PL having their best season for decades. 

Exactly , don’t let the truth get in the way of a good fan slag thread . 

I didn’t go for the same reason I haven’t been since Blackburn , it’s boring , I can’t stand the owner and I have better things to waste my money on. I was impressed they at least looked like they had some sort of structure on Wednesday though 

Don't think you can compare Derby's last 20 years with ours.  They lost 2-1 to Villa in the Wembley playoff final last season and almost invariably are in the top 8.

We've had two good seasons with Carlos in charge.  The other 18 of the last 20 seasons have been dreadful.

Don't think you can slate our fans.  I gave it a miss, and I must have been to almost 2,000 matches since 1958 when I first went.  

Our home form puts people off.   They'd pay the high prices if we were more exciting.  

1 minute ago, TaxiMark said:

Didnt we sell out against Arsenal though when the players looked like they gave a shitt.

Its a 2 way street pal.

The players come and go. We as fans are the constant as are the 11 shirts that are sent out. We mock other clubs for their attendances and claim that if we were at the top we would be selling out. We were third at Christmas but didn't sell out. When the cup draw was made I was looking forward to a full house. Sadly it didnt materialise and maybe our support base should be measured when the going is tough not when there is a clamour for a day out at Wembley.

11 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

The players come and go. We as fans are the constant as are the 11 shirts that are sent out. We mock other clubs for their attendances and claim that if we were at the top we would be selling out. We were third at Christmas but didn't sell out. When the cup draw was made I was looking forward to a full house. Sadly it didnt materialise and maybe our support base should be measured when the going is tough not when there is a clamour for a day out at Wembley.

A few years ago Leeds were hardly filling 30/40 per cent of their stadium, this was due to a lot of them boycotting going bcz of Ken Bates and the prices he introduced ....this is a club that does get decent support too.

Arsenal a huge club were having similar issues when large numbers of their fans stayed away due to them wanting rid of Wenger, Arsenal...a club who has had so much success in the past 20 years too!

How can you are anyone even begin to slag our crowd or fanbase off with the amount of shitt we have had to take these past 20 plus years? 

Edited by TaxiMark
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

Yep, loads of our fans didn't turn up on Wednesday night for one reason or another. The reasons have been explained and discussed on here numerous times. Those of us that went supported the club financially and vocally for the whole game. We have a hardcore support of about 20k. We have a floating support of similar. We have a passing support of about the same. So 60k or so that we can tap into when the going is good. The going isn't good at the moment so the 20k was made up of hardcore and floating supporters the other night. Many season ticket holders, rest potg regulars. Add in some first timers cos it was man City and that's you're makeup I reckon. 

Not sure what point I'm making but it all just tumbled out. 

Never understood some of our fans thinking we are up there with the best supported teams. In the last 65 seasons we've averaged 30000 on 3 occasions and not one above 32000. However, for big games we can always get a massive support. Think this kind of thinking permeated over the years to the top honchos at the club who spent money on the basis if it works the ground will be full. We are one of the middle echelon top clubs, Forest, Derby, Pigs, etc. and will probably stay there. Still proud to be an Owl and love the camaraderie but some need to get a grip and just accept what we are.

Edited by Buckwheat

there are very little to compare us to derby . similar place in league ,in trouble with efl that's about it. there pay on day prices in general are lower than ours though are dearer than preston etc . they have a healthy home crowd where ours is dropping off . I think if you ask a derby supporter mel morris or ask ours chansiri I think you will find his popularity a lot higher than chansiri. if we were both on stock exchange id say brokers would say sell shares now before they become worthless , were derby they might say hang on for a couple of years . 

Just now, TaxiMark said:

A few years ago Leeds were hardly filling 30/40 per cent of their stadium, this was due to a lot of them boycotting going bcz of Ken Bates and the prices he introduced ....this is a club that does get decent support too.

Arsenal a huge club were having similar issues when large numbers of their fans stayed away due to them wanting rid of Wenger, Arsenal...a club who has had so much success in the past 20 years too!

How can you are anyone even begin to slag our crowd or fanbase off with the amount of poo we have had to take these past 20 plus years? 

I'm not slagging it off, I'm merely pointing out that it isn't as good as some would like to make out.