Local residents angry at the club

The club seem to be getting constant hammer on local resident's forums like Nextdoor and Facebook at the minute.

Following all the road closure debacles and ongoing issues around access to homes on matchdays, it seems that there's quite a bit of confusion for a lot of residents in the area (particularly the 'Leppings Lane Triangle' from Vere Road down to Law Bros. Garage/Burger King) and that promised direct communication with residents from the club hasn't been as forthcoming or as regular as some would like.

This is just a small selection of comments from one forum:

Screenshot 2020-03-05 at 14.14.25.pngScreenshot 2020-03-05 at 14.23.44.png

Just looked on the club website and there is a 'Residents Information' section with generalised information..: https://www.swfc.co.uk/club/residents-matchday-information/

Not sure what more the club can do to communicated? Leaflets through doors (I know this used to happen years ago)? Liaising with a resident's association? Notice Boards?

14 minutes ago, Neal M said:

Any cheeky monkey that moves next to an existing stadium and feels inconvenienced by football activities can do one.

It's akin to people who buy houses near airports then cry about the noise.

I do have some sympathy and I've often thought how pants it must be living very close to a stadium.

But not that much...

I am sure that the club is not very communicative with residents as it is not communicating much with supporters. What I don't really understand is that those houses have been there since around 1900. All the land from Parkside Road to the corner of Leppings Lane and Penistone Rd was bought by the Wednesday in 1899. When they worked out the position of the new football ground they then sold the land towards the corner for housing.  Together with the money from the original shares, the income from the land sale was  used to cover the costs of buying the land and building the stadium. Everyone who lives there will have bought a house close to an existing football stadium.

The snippets above seem to be complaining more about a lack of communication than specifying what the problem is they are trying to communicate about. So has crowd behaviour got worse in recent years, or is it the Police closure of Leppings Lane and one lane on Penistone Rd which is the problem or do they just not like the supporters and stadium, which was already there, being so close

Edited by Aingarth
Error

13 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

The club have more than enough YTS trainee players on the books to be able to send them out doing a letterbox drop all around Hillsbro. 

Might be a promble that even JP could tackle successfully

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Shouldn't they be getting in touch with SAG?  They're the source of all this disruption.

SAG aren't a front-facing organisation as far as I'm aware - communications of SAG stuff would usually come through the club, or the council. I'm also not sure how much of the Leppings Lane Triangle closures are to do with SAG, or the Police, or the Club to be fair. Would have thought it wasn't really within the SAG remit, but could be wrong.

I believe the barriers are manned by stewards employed by the club (with a police presence in the area too), so the club would probably be responsible for instructing stewards, informing residents, etc.

27 minutes ago, Neal M said:

Any cheeky monkey that moves next to an existing stadium and feels inconvenienced by football activities can do one.

I understand this point to an extent, but it can be a pain for a lot of these people if they are blocked from getting to/from their homes and not knowing what the situation is with it - especially what times the roads are closing, which roads, for how long, are there preferred routes in/out, can they get access in certain circumstances, can they get though on foot if they aren't in a vehicle, etc. From what I understand all this information just keeps changing and no-one really communicates to the residents and the stewards on the barriers don't ever seem to know what is going on with it so it is a lottery what happens. I know there has been mention of nurses who have come back off 16 hour shifts and been refused entry to their street for some time when all they want to do is just get in their bed and go to sleep.

I am on that forum and it’s a mixture of angry and informed people and angrier uninformed people. 

Many see the club as the problem and I have tried to deflect their anger to the council. 

There are lots of complaints about lack of info and TBH I wouldn’t be happy either if I didn’t know what was happening one week to the next. 

I have also pointed out to anyone who suggests we should move that we were here first. 

• Thanks 3

I feel for local residents to an extent but some people won’t be happy until the club is dead and gone (at least from Hillsborough). 

Unfortunately we seem to make it easy for people to kick us while we’re down. 

If it isn’t people that hate Chansiri, it’s people that don’t like football, or people that can’t get parked outside their house 23 times in a season - despite their choice to live near a massive venue where people attend for the sake of England’s favourite game / a sport this country invented. 

We probably do ourselves no favours (fans feel the same) but some people are out to kill the club - like it’s almost become a trend. It’s definitely more acceptable to moan like fk these days. 

Annoying. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

I feel for local residents to an extent but some people won’t be happy until the club is dead and gone (at least from Hillsborough). 

I don't know how you've reached that conclusion - it's a bit of an excessive reaction?! 

No-one has ever said they want the club dead or gone - most are generally happy with the club and the area, they just want better communication regarding match days and stuff from what I have observed.

Guest Ferkorf

Out of interest I looked at house prices on Vere road.

Most have sold for around 120 to 135k in the last few years.

I wouldn't let them pay me that to live on that road.

I'm aware house prices are ridiculous but that road is terrible even when we aren't at home

Guest Ferkorf
14 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Bloke buys  a big Manor House in our area. It’s 200 yards from a pub & they share the same access & parking area. He then proceeds to complain about noise from said pub, ultimately getting a shotgun out & himself arrested. 
Manor House is now up for sale.

He’ll probably move onto Leppings Lane. 

People buy houses in Stocksbridge and complain to the local paper or Facebook groups about the noise of the steelworks.

Its only a great big place that runs the full length of Stocksbridge and has been there since time began.

16 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

I don't know how you've reached that conclusion - it's a bit of an excessive reaction?! 

No-one has ever said they want the club dead or gone - most are generally happy with the club and the area, they just want better communication regarding match days and stuff from what I have observed.

A direct quote from one is “time to  close the stadium and for the team to play elsewhere “

Isolated, but that sentiment is there.