A touch of realism required about tonight’s game

Just now, dewsburyowl58 said:

Did you see the pressing they did when we had the ball , they worked their socks off to get the ball back . The one obvious annoyance for me was the lack of movement and ambition on the odd occasion we had the ball . Then again they aren’t one of the best sides in the world for nothing .

Did you see the bit in the first half where Borner came out of defence to make a tackle on the half way line? They 2on the ball back and their player played an inch perfect pass onto the head of their striker who was stood exactly where Borner would have been had he not been out of position pressing. We'd have been destroyed if we'd tried to take the game to em. 

Just now, latemodelchild said:

Did you see the bit in the first half where Borner came out of defence to make a tackle on the half way line? They 2on the ball back and their player played an inch perfect pass onto the head of their striker who was stood exactly where Borner would have been had he not been out of position pressing. We'd have been destroyed if we'd tried to take the game to em. 

With the ball at our feet we just didn’t show enough movement and support imo , it’s not a moan I know it was difficult 

6 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Did you see the pressing they did when we had the ball , they worked their socks off to get the ball back . The one obvious annoyance for me was the lack of movement and ambition on the odd occasion we had the ball . Then again they aren’t one of the best sides in the world for nothing .

Agree, many posts moaning that we didn't go for it, what you have pointed out is missed by many.  MCFC not only have some of the best players on the ball, they are also an excellent team without it, they press and hunt down the ball in packs and often recover possession very quickly.  Nothing to do with us not going for it, much more to do with City.  Could see it much more evidently in the flesh than on telly box.

Edited by Striggy
  • Like 1

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

Considering the on and off field issues we have witnessed over the last few weeks, last night provided far more positives than negatives. The performances of Wildsmith, Iorfa, Bannan in the first half and then the introduction of Hunt. It was a disciplined performance that followed the managers instructions against one of the best teams in the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bradowl said:

My only complaint is that I thought we wasted a couple of set piece situations. 

Rushing free kicks when we should have waited and filled there box with players like Fox and Iorfa. 

Yes nearly all our dead ball situations were disappointing especially the corners.

This " what did people expect" notion does my head in to be honest.

We were ALL FULLY AWARE of the class of the opposition but people talk about us like we are the Dog & Duck taking on Cruyff`s Ajax.

IMHO i dont think we are asking for too much of a player pool who , according to figures on here yesterday,  are getting an AVERAGE wage of 20 bags of sand a week to be able to string a few passes together , have some semblance of attacking style that doesn`t consist of HOOF ,  and be able to accurately deliver a set piece with some kind of plan attached to it.

1 hour ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

absolutely spot on...folk here going off like we should have pressed them

high up the pitch for 90minutes!!! Grow up and/or bore off!!!

regardless of the current PL situation, city have the best squad in the world. Yes they could have got a couple more but the didn’t...we played ok and on another night we would hand nicked a goal.

I was fairly happy happy the full time whistle knowing that we gave an half decent account of ourselves. 

it’s also worth noting that the ref stopped us been anything like physical with his over protection of the city players. Rodri for a 6ft 2 bloke is like a little girl. 

you have to face it, some people that go into a football ground know little, or way less about football.

1 hour ago, sheriwozgod said:

No-one expected us to adopt a "high press" and we knew we would have to defend and cope without having the ball for long periods , but that doesnt excuse our lack of guile, know how, and at least a semblence of being able to keep possession and pas s the ball 10 yards to a teamate..........and thats me applying reasoning.

Quite right. Only Martin Keon thought that we should be pressing them all night.

Manchester City are not going to be panicked by a few Wednesday players closing them down in a high press, you may be able to tease one or two little flaps out of them ( like when the keeper tried to pass it to the left back and put it out for a corner) but most of the time they will pass it right through you .

Wednesday were a credit last night.

We were organised and put in a shift and no shame in losing narrowly to Manchester City.
Not a vintage Hillsborough night by any stretch of the imagination but was quietly satisfied at the end bearing in mind some alarming performances recently at home.

Thought our crossing and set pieces were disappointing though, we were never going to get many chances and not to put them under pressure from these was frustrating.

Bt a decent night overall.

22 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

This " what did people expect" notion does my head in to be honest.

We were ALL FULLY AWARE of the class of the opposition but people talk about us like we are the Dog & Duck taking on Cruyff`s Ajax.

IMHO i dont think we are asking for too much of a player pool who , according to figures on here yesterday,  are getting an AVERAGE wage of 20 bags of sand a week to be able to string a few passes together , have some semblance of attacking style that doesn`t consist of HOOF ,  and be able to accurately deliver a set piece with some kind of plan attached to it.

It was Championship vs Premiership

We played like National League vs Premiership 

Not allowed to string passes together or a decent set piece according to most posters on here 

5 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

It was Championship vs Premiership

We played like National League vs Premiership 

Not allowed to string passes together or a decent set piece according to most posters on here 

Did you go to the game? Be honest. Did you see the work Man City put in off the ball? Did you see the lack of space we had to actually put together a meaningful attack? If you went to the game and didn’t see these things then you must have your eyes painted on. 

Furthermore, you can’t accuse us of playing like a National League side. On at least two or three occasions, we created enough pressure in their box to force them to hoik the ball back up field into empty space in our half - not many teams force Man City to do that. 

I honestly don’t think you went to the match pal. You can’t have. 

9 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Did you go to the game? Be honest. Did you see the work Man City put in off the ball? Did you see the lack of space we had to actually put together a meaningful attack? If you went to the game and didn’t see these things then you must have your eyes painted on. 

Furthermore, you can’t accuse us of playing like a National League side. On at least two or three occasions, we created enough pressure in their box to force them to hoik the ball back up field into empty space in our half - not many teams force Man City to do that. 

Jesus

The acceptance of mediocrity is unreal 

Newport and Oxford managed a goal against this lot and combined shots of around 25 between them both - we managed 0 on target.

However you spin it, it’s a whimper of a performance 

Edited by TodwickOwl

26 minutes ago, shandypants said:

17 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Jesus

Newport and Oxford managed a goal against this lot and combined shots of around 25 between them both - we managed 0 on target.

However you spin it, it’s a whimper of a performance 

Ah right. You didn’t go to the game then. That explains it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Read this a lot.

There's fans of about 80 clubs in the league that could accuse their clubs of being mediocre.

Yet they still turn up every week.

I don't know. IT's strange. It's almost as if they support them or something.

Edited by Lord Snooty
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Not sure how we were expected to compete with City tbh, when some of the best teams in Europe can't.

Our starting lineup -

Wildsmith - Youth
Palmer - Youth
Iorfa - £200k
Borner - Free
Fox - £750k
Murphy - Loan
Lee - Free
Bannan - £1m
Pelupessy - £375k
Forestieri - £3m
De Cruz - Loan

So less than £5.5m with most of that being on one player.  That's about 10% of what Man City spent on their left back...
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Frazzlebeak said:

Quite right. We ought to be shot.

perhaps better would be to send the club your entry money, and go and watch somebody playing conkers in the park.

or to accept that the 'professionals' at the club may know a tad more about running a football club than the average joe in the stand does.