A touch of realism required about tonight’s game

FFS! We were playing Manchester City - a team that regularly makes good Premier League sides look like pub teams. 

Anyone of the players Man City fielded against us could walk into Liverpool’s squad and every other Premier League club’s first team. They replaced Sergio Aguero with Rahim Sterling - either one of those is valued more than our squad many times over. 

Man City have just won the League Cup and beat Real Madrid away prior to that. They put four past Fulham in the last round, and in the Premier League put six past Villa, five past West Ham and eight past Watford. 

We shouldn’t be happy that we’ve lost but I don’t know what some OwlsTalkers expected us to do - they need to apply a bit of realism to their reasoning IMO. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Totally agree.

Whilst I would've obviously preferred a win, I certainly don't think the lads should be embarrassed by their performance tonight. (Except perhaps Bannan with his petulance!)

Joe Wildsmith was hugely impressive.

4 hours ago, shandypants said:

FFS! We were playing Manchester City - a team that regularly makes good Premier League sides look like pub teams. 

Anyone of the players Man City fielded against us could walk into Liverpool’s squad and every other Premier League club’s first team. They replaced Sergio Aguero with Rahim Sterling - either one of those is valued more than our squad many times over. 

Man City have just won the League Cup and beat Real Madrid away prior to that. They put four past Fulham in the last round, and in the Premier League put six past Villa, five past West Ham and eight past Watford. 

We shouldn’t be happy that we’ve lost but I don’t know what some OwlsTalkers expected us to do - they need to apply a bit of realism to their reasoning IMO. 

absolutely spot on...folk here going off like we should have pressed them

high up the pitch for 90minutes!!! Grow up and/or bore off!!!

regardless of the current PL situation, city have the best squad in the world. Yes they could have got a couple more but the didn’t...we played ok and on another night we would hand nicked a goal.

I was fairly happy happy the full time whistle knowing that we gave an half decent account of ourselves. 

it’s also worth noting that the ref stopped us been anything like physical with his over protection of the city players. Rodri for a 6ft 2 bloke is like a little girl. 

• Like 1

''We rode our luck'' though apparently

:duntmatter:

Ye, no sh*t

You'd have thought against a team who beat Barcelona last week and with the best manager in the game, we'd have shrugged off our dire 2nd tier league form and really taken it to them!!

Some people really need to get a grip.

• Haha 1

Said before the game that if we conceded less than 3 I'd have suspicions of match fixing. Man City are relentless when it comes to attacking. They don't go 3 up and take the foot off, they keep going. That's what I feared last night. Strangest feeling ever being 'happy' to have only lost 1 nil but there you have it. A humiliating defeat wouldn't have helped anyone. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bing Cosby said:

''We rode our luck'' though apparently

:duntmatter:

Ye, no sh*t

You'd have thought against a team who beat Barcelona last week and with the best manager in the game, we'd have shrugged off our dire 2nd tier league form and really taken it to them!!

Some people really need to get a grip.

Really? Barcelona??

Real Madrid :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Brommers said:

Yes, but Joey P should have "influenced " the midfield.

He doesn't do that against championship fodder but slated for not doing so last night.

Yeah and a player of the calibre of Da Cruz shouldn't be letting the likes of Otemendi and Stones get the better of him either.

• Haha 1

Don’t think anyone expected us to win and personally I was expecting a big reverse which could have happened with their chances but didn’t.

We see it against other Championship teams and last night just emphasised it - we simply cannot keep the ball and do anything with it. We invite pressure which ultimately no matter how dogged your defence is will result in goals against.

We dilly - dally with it in defence and this is why we are conceding silly goals and have a mountain to climb from early in the game.

Is it the players? Are they that poor? Or is it that the coaching and management can’t get them actually playing football.

Well done to Liam Palmer last night - you can almost kick it the length of the field!

Edited by GMOwl72
  • Like 1

Almost felt like a victory for me , i amongst 99% of fans expected a drubbing in the scoreline , it didn’t happen .No one can accuse the players of not trying last night , my only criticism is we didn’t show enough ambition when we had the ball , if Fletch had reached that brilliant cross from Hunt the place would have exploded with noise , fans were decent too . At the end of it all we lost and are out of the cup but we put up a good fight and that’s all we can ask surely . 

• Like 1

No-one expected us to adopt a "high press" and we knew we would have to defend and cope without having the ball for long periods , but that doesnt excuse our lack of guile, know how, and at least a semblence of being able to keep possession and pas s the ball 10 yards to a teamate..........and thats me applying reasoning.

However, a different version of realism is the fact that City have just played in a difficult away Champions League game then a cup final a few days before us. As good as they are, they're still human and that would have taken a lot out of them. They comfortably won last night. As comfortable a 1-0 win as you are ever likely to see On another night, that team would have destroyed us.

We do take several positives from the game. Yes, the scoreline was respectable and the defensive line up was admirable in spirit and application. One to put behind us and get stuck in to ensure that we are still in the Championship next season, not League One.

• Like 1

Guest LittleG
1 minute ago, sheriwozgod said:

but that doesnt excuse our lack of guile, know how, and at least a semblence of being able to keep possession and pas s the ball 10 yards to a teamate..........and thats me applying reasoning.

The reasoning is that we havent been sble to do this all season; we have very poor quality players especially in midfield

5 hours ago, shandypants said:

I just don't have time to read everything, but if some here are kicking off about last night then they should take a reality check.

We were up against a team not just of Premiership quality but Champions league quality. If we had tried to go head to head with them we would have been slaughtered.

There was clearly a game plan. Soak up the pressure, frustrate City, and maybe see if we could nick one on the break or through a set piece. That was probably the only realistic approach, and jeez....it nearly worked.....

For me, the most important thing was to give a good account of ourselves and not be disgraced, and in that respect I'm happy. The players looked up for it, the defense was organised and composed (I thought Big Dom was outstanding), and if we can take that into the weekend then there is cause for optimism.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

No-one expected us to adopt a "high press" and we knew we would have to defend and cope without having the ball for long periods , but that doesnt excuse our lack of guile, know how, and at least a semblence of being able to keep possession and pas s the ball 10 yards to a teamate..........and thats me applying reasoning.

Did you see the pressing they did when we had the ball , they worked their socks off to get the ball back . The one obvious annoyance for me was the lack of movement and ambition on the odd occasion we had the ball . Then again they aren’t one of the best sides in the world for nothing .