Bannan “incredible player”

20 hours ago, Jackie Sewell said:

Oh and btw, Aguero in his interview said we are a good team who will do well ! Although there was a translation issue as he searched for the words.

If we could maintain that level of work rate and performance we would be a good team like Aguero says but we can’t and don’t. It’s ok raising your game in big matches (Leeds away/City etc) but the problem is that hasn’t been the case in our bread and butter games. 

I can only think that anyone who has Bannan down as an incredible player must just watch the ball rather than the play, much like the man himself.  I'm sure junior players are told to watch the man and not the ball but he doesn't, is he stupid or lazy, it has to be one of the two.  He is now living off past glories but I doubt any football scouts will miss his rather obvious limitations for a midfielder. Is there a worse centre mid in the division as regards tackling, heading, positional sense and picking up cheap bookings. 

For anyone that watches him from the sidelines (as opposed to behind the goal) his poor positional sense and refusal to track his runner is quite obvious, people on TV can be excused because he often disappears out of frame.  No one can fail to notice him standing ten yards in front of his man waving his arms at them on the rare occasion he is in position, but this just allows them time to get their head up and pick a pass under no pressure.  Of course when that player plays a killer pass through a line in the back four it is the defenders fault not his. He comes for the ball when we have secure possession (when he doesn't need to) and has a reluctance to play forward in areas you have to be a little braver in. He stifles the back four and often brings an opponent into a dangerous area near them in is quest to be the one that passes.

I would be highly delighted if anyone at all would buy him and Tom Lees but as well as other managers may praise both of them there will be no rush to sign them. Bannan is purely a luxury player not required in a struggling side, I think he looked ok against a poor Charlton side  a match in which he made zero tackles, let us see if he can boss Brentford.

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I do love it when he decides to do a backheel just outside our 18 yard box. 

Sure his colleagues appreciate those too. 

Honestly thats the one big thing that gets to me about Bannan and some of our players.

If you can't do the simple things right stop it with the fancy dan stuff.  You only should be thinking about this if your 2 or 3 up and the game is going well for you.

8 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Honestly thats the one big thing that gets to me about Bannan and some of our players.

If you can't do the simple things right stop it with the fancy dan stuff.  You only should be thinking about this if your 2 or 3 up and the game is going well for you.

Exactly. 

It sort of sums up the lax attitude to proper game management. 

We are not good enough to be taking chances in and around the 18 yard box, particularly when under pressure. 

Yes, Bazza might be fine with that sort of thing, but I can bet you that Tom Lees, Iorfa, Fox etc., don't appreciate having backheels directed towards them when the opposition are pressing. 

Against City (yes, Manchester City) on Wednesday night, he must have done two or three backheels in and around our 18 yard box. Just so stupid. 

Just now, BIG D said:

The only player we have that every team in the Championship would have in their squad.

So does that make him immune from criticism? 

Does that negate the fact that he hasn't been playing well for a while? 

I like Bannan, I think he's clearly one of our better and most talented players. I don't necessarily think that means we're always a better team with him in it and we become too one dimensional sometimes. There aren't a lot of options to replace him with him though. My friend made an interesting point on Wednesday, is it a bit of a Signori at Lazio type situation - a good player but better for the team if the focus and play isn't built around him?

4 hours ago, SiJ said:

So does that make him immune from criticism? 

Does that negate the fact that he hasn't been playing well for a while? 

Course not but he should be well down the list when it comes to having a go at our own players. And you should also be asking yourself why you haven’t had a pop at all the other players before picking on him. 

Edited by BIG D

Complete drivel 

On Wednesday night in the second half we actually got a corner. Bannan took it and couldn't clear the first man. Then in true Bannan style he stood like a statue. He made no attempt to get back onside. When the ball inevitably came back to him he was offside. As if he cared. That's who Bannan is. He wanders around most matches in a complete daydream. 

If he's that good Man City then sign him

Everyone says he's the best midfielder in the division and yet nobody wants him. 

We need to dump him ASAP. Hopefully he's out of contract at the end of the season. 

Bannan is a proven flop 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mrmason69 said:

Complete drivel 

On Wednesday night in the second half we actually got a corner. Bannan took it and couldn't clear the first man. Then in true Bannan style he stood like a statue. He made no attempt to get back onside. When the ball inevitably came back to him he was offside. As if he cared. That's who Bannan is. He wanders around most matches in a complete daydream. 

If he's that good Man City then sign him

Everyone says he's the best midfielder in the division and yet nobody wants him. 

We need to dump him ASAP. Hopefully he's out of contract at the end of the season. 

Bannan is a proven flop 

Pep speaks very highly of him :ph34r:

6 hours ago, BIG D said:

Course not but he should be well down the list when it comes to having a go at our own players. And you should also be asking yourself why you haven’t had a pop at all the other players before picking on him. 

I'm picking on him.

I've slated the players (as a collective) loads this season and rightly so. 

Whether you want to accept it or not, Bazza has bee  rubbish for a while now.

A bit like accepting that Hutchinson isn't coming back no matter how much you crow on about it.

9 minutes ago, BIG D said:

You do realise what happens when you replace your better players with inferior ones don’t you?

It depends are lots of different factors. A team of so called inferior players that gel together as a team and operate to a given plan can sometimes outperform a team of stars. Perhaps the time has come to move Bannan on and mould a younger, fitter player into the role.