Respectable performance. Well done!

18 hours ago, Philb125 said:

In the past I’ve often had non-Wednesday football fans try and belittle our fan base over being disillusioned about how good we are, the ‘massive’ stuff and so on....

I’ve never really seen it before tonight. 

We’ve won one game in last 8, lowest scorers at home in championship, playing our third choice keeper without a striker and there are fans on here saying we should have attacked more, how bad Players were that offer nothing but yet we lost to an offside goal vs the champions of the country playing an almost full strength team. 

I tell you what mate.

I wouldn’t even bother responding to them.

Some if the comments from some on here are just unbelievable and show a level of ignorance towards football & an off the scale naivety that defies belief.

Better teams than us have got annihilated by them & hardly touched the ball in the process.

Seeing it in the flesh is a different proposition to seeing it on tv.

How in a million fuc**n years the morons expect us to “attack them” when it’s almost impossible to get any sort of possession is a mystery only they can answer.

If we were so cr*p last night, why did the fans who actually bothered to go, give them a standing ovation at the end, with hardly anyone leaving?

The gulf between the genuine support & the keyboard ‘non fans’ on here is getting wider & wider, with the result that Owlstalk is hardly representative at all now of a huge section of the fan base & is becoming nothing more than a sounding board for the terminally disaffected.

So called fans bragging about not going, then slagging is for battling to a one goal defeat to one of the best teams in the world.

Morons doesn’t do it justice.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Jaydubz said:

How do we score when defending for 90mins? It was the cup, a draw is no use you clown!

Well, you need the ball to attack and the problem against City is they tend to keep it.

If you leave gaps they tend to pass through them and score goals.

So all we needed to do was attack without the ball and without leaving gaps . Easy that.

• Like 1

To put it into perspective.

We beat Arsenal 3-0 in the league cup 2 weeks after they dispatched Bayern Munich 2-0 at home whilst we’d previously drawn a few games and scraped past Rotherham. It’s easy to drag previous games up to use as an excuse. Villa have City a good game on Sunday, are Villa light years ahead of us?

No matter how good the opposition are it wasn’t impossible to give them a better game, granted we may have lost by a bigger margin but I’d rather see an entertaining match with a “have a go attitude” or any sort of plan to move the ball (or the back line) forward, whilst City are very, very good they are not invincible and certainly can’t suppress teams for 90 minutes, we did that to ourselves by sitting far too deep for far too long. 

John Stones was a particular weak spot to aim for and we showed in a very few rare glimpses that we could move the ball forward when playing a higher line.

We were far too negative, had no confidence with the ball and sat back and invited the onslaught of pressure on. On another day, a firing City would have destroyed us.

We played like a semi professional team that had won a raffle with a keeper out to prove a point. 

The only positive to take away from last night is that Barry Bannan probably waited until he was off the field before whipping his phone out and chasing Aguero for a selfie. 

4 minutes ago, Mac_77 said:

We beat Arsenal 3-0 in the league cup 2 weeks after they dispatched Bayern Munich 2-0 at home whilst we’d previously drawn a few games and scraped past Rotherham. It’s easy to drag previous games up to use as an excuse. Villa have City a good game on Sunday, are Villa light years ahead of us?

No matter how good the opposition are it wasn’t impossible to give them a better game, granted we may have lost by a bigger margin but I’d rather see an entertaining match with a “have a go attitude” or any sort of plan to move the ball (or the back line) forward, whilst City are very, very good they are not invincible and certainly can’t suppress teams for 90 minutes, we did that to ourselves by sitting far too deep for far too long. 

John Stones was a particular weak spot to aim for and we showed in a very few rare glimpses that we could move the ball forward when playing a higher line.

We were far too negative, had no confidence with the ball and sat back and invited the onslaught of pressure on. On another day, a firing City would have destroyed us.

We played like a semi professional team that had won a raffle with a keeper out to prove a point. 

The only positive to take away from last night is that Barry Bannan probably waited until he was off the field before whipping his phone out and chasing Aguero for a selfie. 

Villa are light years ahead of us I am afraid, We have an old squad who are well past their best and we sit mid-table in the Championship. It was a good battling performance and I have had conversations with Villa,Chelsea and Derby fans today who all commented on how well they thought we did on the night.

Are we really that silly that we think we can go at a Champions League side and not get humiliated? City are a World Class outfit and we are a Championship team in transition.

i despair at some of the expectations of so called fans on here at times.

7 minutes ago, Mac_77 said:

The team they put out against us bear no resemblance to the team that beat Bayern...Arsenal always play their youngsters in the early rounds of the EFL cup...that wasn't a youth team that City put out last night....to put it in perspective load ofbollix lol

4 hours ago, oldishowl said:

Well, you need the ball to attack and the problem against City is they tend to keep it.

If you leave gaps they tend to pass through them and score goals.

So all we needed to do was attack without the ball and without leaving gaps . Easy that.

May as well have called the match off then! If you don’t attack you don’t score. Simple game football regardless of opposition. If you defend for 90 mins without any intention you are highly unlikely to score 😂

21 minutes ago, Mac_77 said:

Don’t you dare talk sense on here. Well done 👍🏼

4 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

I tell you what mate.

I wouldn’t even bother responding to them.

Some if the comments from some on here are just unbelievable and show a level of ignorance towards football & an off the scale naivety that defies belief.

Better teams than us have got annihilated by them & hardly touched the ball in the process.

Seeing it in the flesh is a different proposition to seeing it on tv.

How in a million fuc**n years the morons expect us to “attack them” when it’s almost impossible to get any sort of possession is a mystery only they can answer.

If we were so cr*p last night, why did the fans who actually bothered to go, give them a standing ovation at the end, with hardly anyone leaving?

The gulf between the genuine support & the keyboard ‘non fans’ on here is getting wider & wider, with the result that Owlstalk is hardly representative at all now of a huge section of the fan base & is becoming nothing more than a sounding board for the terminally disaffected.

So called fans bragging about not going, then slagging is for battling to a one goal defeat to one of the best teams in the world.

Morons doesn’t do it justice.

nah.

no one doubted they worked hard.

you regularly see lower league sides work hard against distinguished opposition and avoid a battering in cup competitions.

our performance wasn't defensive with a plan - it was abject damage limitation.

we didn’t have one shot on target. Not one. Their keeper didn’t have to save a shot.

i watched derby tonight get beat 3-0 by a team far more accomplished than them and try and play some football. They had 13 shots and 5 on target. 

i would have preferred that than that submission last night.

11 minutes ago, Prince said:

Villa are light years ahead of us I am afraid, We have an old squad who are well past their best and we sit mid-table in the Championship. It was a good battling performance and I have had conversations with Villa,Chelsea and Derby fans today who all commented on how well they thought we did on the night.

Are we really that silly that we think we can go at a Champions League side and not get humiliated? City are a World Class outfit and we are a Championship team in transition.

i despair at some of the expectations of so called fans on here at times.

I expect some kind of threat within 90 mins, some kind of intention, some kind of passing sequence, some kind of end of product. Did I get any... no! Glad you enjoyed it though 👍🏼

2 minutes ago, Jaydubz said:

May as well have called the match off then! If you don’t attack you don’t score. Simple game football regardless of opposition. If you defend for 90 mins without any intention you are highly unlikely to score 😂

You certainly don’t win games if you concede goals. 

Our best chance of scoring was probably a set piece. The only disappointment in our play last night was that we wasted the opportunities we had to put a few corners and free kicks into their box. They were our best opportunities and the delivery wasn’t good enough.

1 minute ago, Jaydubz said:

I expect some kind of threat within 90 mins, some kind of intention, some kind of passing sequence, some kind of end of product. Did I get any... no! Glad you enjoyed it though 👍🏼

Fletcher was inches off getting the equaliser in the last 10 minutes from Hunt’s cross, City’s goal was marginal off-side. Fine margins separated the sides in term of the score but you would expect to defend after all we were playing Manchester City, not Bradford City.

People defending or excusing last night are probably the same type of people that would find a better looking bloke banging their wife and offer them a cup of tea.

”There no point fighting it, what chance did I have, have you seen him....... how many sugars John”

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

You certainly don’t win games if you concede goals. 

Our best chance of scoring was probably a set piece. The only disappointment in our play last night was that we wasted the opportunities we had to put a few corners and free kicks into their box. They were our best opportunities and the delivery wasn’t good enough.

I agree - our best chance was to play fletcher, one off him, and miss the midfield out as much as we could cos we couldn’t compete with them.

two wide players for out balls from defence and keeper.

we played narrow - got behind ball - had no outball to get up the pitch and spent the game with all our players looking like my dog chasing a tennis ball.

Edited by ka58

1 minute ago, Mac_77 said:

People defending or excusing last night are probably the same type of people that would find a better looking bloke banging their wife and offer them a cup of tea.

”There no point fighting it, what chance did I have, have you seen him....... how many sugars John”

I take it you got done for hitting him then?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mac_77 said:

No matter how good the opposition are it wasn’t impossible to give them a better game, granted we may have lost by a bigger margin but I’d rather see an entertaining match with a “have a go attitude” 

whats entertaining about being beat 4 or 5 which we surely would have if we had played any differently ? …..a game like that you stay in at as long as you can and hope to pinch it if a chance comes your way . …….

1 hour ago, ka58 said:

Someone earlier on said I didn’t understand the “game plan” I’m still waiting to here what it was.

Our game plan was to defend in numbers and hope to catch them out on the break, or perhaps from a set piece. Something loads of teams do against Man City. Something that's not really been mentioned is that City's goal did nothing to change that plan, because we were still in the game and 1 goal for us would have meant extra time. On the other hand, another goal for them would have been curtains. So we kept it tight for as long as possible. If City had scored a 2nd, then yes, we might have thrown caution to the wind. But while the scoreline was so tight, it made sense to keep playing as we were. Sure, we could have played like Derby tonight and gone 3-0 down with 20 minutes to go. But we stayed in the game for as long as possible. Could we have gone for it more at the end? Maybe. But we did attack a bit more and came close to scoring. Generally, I thought our tactics were spot-on, though it was a shame our set pieces weren't better.

8 hours ago, ka58 said:

nah.

no one doubted they worked hard.

you regularly see lower league sides work hard against distinguished opposition and avoid a battering in cup competitions.

our performance wasn't defensive with a plan - it was abject damage limitation.

we didn’t have one shot on target. Not one. Their keeper didn’t have to save a shot.

i watched derby tonight get beat 3-0 by a team far more accomplished than them and try and play some football. They had 13 shots and 5 on target. 

i would have preferred that than that submission last night.

Man Utd “Far more accomplished than them”.

You’re having a laugh mate.

Derby conceded 3 with Man Utd giving them a lot of possession. They wouldn’t have seen a 10th of that against City. If they tried to play City at there own game, the 3 conceded would have been 6.

Living in dreamland some people.

Look at City’s stats for the season FFS.

Play THEIR-game & you get slaughtered.

• Like 1