Respectable performance. Well done!

2 hours ago, bobness said:

1-0 against a strong City side, and there are already a number of threads on here whinging about it. Absolutely barmy!

There's plenty to gripe about this season, but that doesn't mean you need to complain about absolutely everything. FFS.

I don't know what people expect. Before the game, people were talking about how many we'd lose by. We were in the game right until the end and weren't that far off when Fletcher had his chance. And their goal was a bit lucky. I'm not sure it was offside, but it could have spun anywhere. And let's not forget - the only game in either cup City have lost in the last 3 seasons came against a team (Wigan) who played exactly the same tactics as us, but benefited from City going down to 10 men just before half-time, as well as a bad defensive error. I know people want to see us attack - and perhaps if we'd been in better form it might have been ok to risk doing that and City picking us off. But given our league form, I really don't think a drubbing would have helped us at all. 

Edited by Sova
  • Like 2

After a dreadful run and some really inept defensive displays this season I thought the lads worked their socks off tonight against one of the world's best sides. I think they got a bit of dignity back despite the almost inevitable result. Unlike some of our 'support'

• Like 1

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

10 hours ago, Philb125 said:

I disagree with pretty much all of that. But thanks I guess. You kind of epitomise what I was getting at.

All about opinions though. Just mine is that you were asking too much, you didn’t understand the game plan, or agree with it, and we have moral and confidence to lose which is already pretty low. 

Weird how Monk is tactically naive but Bruce playing similar tactics with better players at Newcastle was our saviour. 

what didn’t I understand about the game plan.

12 hours ago, bobness said:

1-0 against a strong City side, and there are already a number of threads on here whinging about it. Absolutely barmy!

There's plenty to gripe about this season, but that doesn't mean you need to complain about absolutely everything. FFS.

Some people aren't happy unless they are whinging. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ka58 said:

what didn’t I understand about the game plan.

Do you think the way we played was by accident or design?

If by accident, you are right we had no game plan, if by design we clearly had a game plan and you were wrong to say we didn't have one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

It really is true.

Some posters are totally lost without having the negativity to hang on to.

God forbid something good might happen.

Out of interest, what was good about last night?

1. The 20% possession?

2. The 1 shot, and 0 shots on target?

3. The 128 completed passes in 90 mins (one of their players alone completed more)?

4. Pelepussy 7 touches total in 74 mins?

Please expand on all those 4 points. Because regardless of the opposition, they are pathetic! We defended a one nil deficit. 

• Haha 1

I'm an old man. I remember some real glory days and wonderful teams.  And if we were still the force we once were in English football we would, of course, have played a completely different game. 

But at the end of this game, I felt proud of being a Sheffield Wednesday supporter again. Here’s our team on a desperate run of form, shipping goals against weak opponents as though defence had gone out of fashion. And along comes one of the world’s best teams, turning out pretty much a full strength side that has, this season, put 8 past Watford, 6 past Villa and 5 past West Ham. Plus they’ve done the double over United this season. Plus they’d scored 4 in each of the previous Cup rounds. On Owlstalk, a supporters' forum, I’m reading predictions of double figure disasters.

And  we witness a team performance in which absolutely every one of our players ran his guts out and gave it his best shot.

Look, no-one can do better than their best, whatever level that happens to be. If we had world-beating team we wouldn’t be half-way down the Championship. But on occasions the whole team can lift each other to something way beyond what we thought was possible.

Was it perfect? Of course not. Did everyone play like Messi? Of course not. But was there anyone out there not playing as hard as he was able for the honour of Sheffield Wednesday? Of course not.

It makes me sad today that these suggestions are even made, let alone insisted upon.

There are many, many criticisms that can be made these days about Wednesday. I respectfully suggest that last night’s efforts did not deserve to be included among them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, MoorfOwl said:

I'm an old man. I remember some real glory days and wonderful teams.  And if we were still the force we once were in English football we would, of course, have played a completely different game. 

But at the end of this game, I felt proud of being a Sheffield Wednesday supporter again. Here’s our team on a desperate run of form, shipping goals against weak opponents as though defence had gone out of fashion. And along comes one of the world’s best teams, turning out pretty much a full strength side that has, this season, put 8 past Watford, 6 past Villa and 5 past West Ham. Plus they’ve done the double over United this season. Plus they’d scored 4 in each of the previous Cup rounds. On Owlstalk, a supporters' forum, I’m reading predictions of double figure disasters.

And  we witness a team performance in which absolutely every one of our players ran his guts out and gave it his best shot.

Look, no-one can do better than their best, whatever level that happens to be. If we had world-beating team we wouldn’t be half-way down the Championship. But on occasions the whole team can lift each other to something way beyond what we thought was possible.

Was it perfect? Of course not. Did everyone play like Messi? Of course not. But was there anyone out there not playing as hard as he was able for the honour of Sheffield Wednesday? Of course not.

It makes me sad today that these suggestions are even made, let alone insisted upon.

There are many, many criticisms that can be made these days about Wednesday. I respectfully suggest that last night’s efforts did not deserve to be included among them.

Well said that man!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jaydubz said:

Out of interest, what was good about last night?

1. The 20% possession?

2. The 1 shot, and 0 shots on target?

3. The 128 completed passes in 90 mins (one of their players alone completed more)?

4. Pelepussy 7 touches total in 74 mins?

Please expand on all those 4 points. Because regardless of the opposition, they are pathetic! We defended a one nil deficit. 

What were your thoughts before the game , how many goals did you expect us to concede ?

2 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

What were your thoughts before the game , how many goals did you expect us to concede ?

And you think we only conceded one because we played well? We conceded one because Man City were poor infront of goal and JW had a good game!

Wake up!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

How many did you expect us to lose by ? 

Do me a favor and explain this good performance and what constitutes a good performance in your head (obviously score line only), i will then tell you my expected result....

Bet your hands are red roar from all the clapping you no doubt gave last night! People like you are concerning, as you clearly know very little about football, i would go as far as saying as never played it either, if lucky Sunday league at best/ pub team, hence complete lack of understanding/ knowledge.

13 hours ago, Mac_77 said:

“we could have”

We didn’t, we lost 0-1 at home with 0 shots on target.

You can’t take the opponent misfiring coupled with a half decent goalkeeping display and dress it up as a “respectable performance”

Of course it wasn't a respectable performance.

We're the massive Wednesday who should by rights be top of the prem, they're the poo Man City who everyone knows we should be easily hammering.

Everyone with any idea of football knows we should be beating teams like these. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Jaydubz said:

Do me a favor and explain this good performance and what constitutes a good performance in your head (obviously score line only), i will then tell you my expected result....

Bet your hands are red roar from all the clapping you no doubt gave last night! People like you are concerning, as you clearly know very little about football, i would go as far as saying as never played it either, if lucky Sunday league at best/ pub team, hence complete lack of understanding/ knowledge.

Oh dear , do you need to calm down ? . Don’t really want to discuss the game with you , but I will say I expected us to lose by at least 3 or 4. Happy you have a vast knowledge of the game though , well done you . 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Jaydubz said:

And you think we only conceded one because we played well? We conceded one because Man City were poor infront of goal and JW had a good game!

Wake up!

Give your head a wobble, we played one of best teams in Europe, was you really expecting us to dominate possession and create loads of chances??

Most premier league teams create zero or very few chances against em and these teams have cost hundreds of millions of pounds to put together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, dewsburyowl58 said:

Oh dear , do you need to calm down ? . Don’t really want to discuss the game with you , but I will say I expected us to lose by at least 3 or 4. Happy you have a vast knowledge of the game though , well done you . 

So i was right, your happy with the score! Classic

Just now, bradowl said:

Give your head a wobble, we played one of best teams in Europe, was you really expecting us to dominate possession and create loads of chances??

Most premier league teams create zero or very few chances against em and these teams have cost hundreds of millions of pounds to put together.

Careful !!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bradowl said:

Revert to my 4 bullet points, and explain please. Then come back to me and explain whether or not those stats are acceptable regardless of opposition?