2 hours ago, trevdi9 said:

sorry Wildsmith produced a great game ,and has earned the shirt , if monk drops him after tonight  then monk ought to call a taxi ,1 mistake and three  minimum brilliant point blank reflex saves the one he tipped onto the bar was in a class of it's own , and how close was the one they scored to offside   

VAR would have Aguero’s foot offside. No doubt

• Like 1

Him and Dawson are good back ups. Neither should be anywhere near number 1 next season. I hope Monkfish knows this. 

1 hour ago, Nero said:

That's a bit of a low bar for a keeper doing really well.

Look it's his first game for ages and I felt for him as he had just made a great save.

But the goal is exactly why he got dropped in the first place. And the reason he hasn't made it out of the reserves despite Dawson being in terrible form.

He makes too many errors.

and Dawson dosent lol 

5 hours ago, Nero said:

That's a bit of a low bar for a keeper doing really well.

Look it's his first game for ages and I felt for him as he had just made a great save.

But the goal is exactly why he got dropped in the first place. And the reason he hasn't made it out of the reserves despite Dawson being in terrible form.

He makes too many errors.

And Dawson doesn’t? Cameron makes at least one huge error every match!

1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

And Dawson doesn’t? Cameron makes at least one huge error every match!

In the games that they’ve played...Wildsmith’s clangers were much more frequent than Dawson’s are.

It’s strange how people are just ignoring that he virtually let one go through him tonight.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Not seen their goal back so don't know what the error was. From where we were it seemed like he blocked it but not fully. His distribution was better than Dawsons has been recently. His kicking is just more confident and not sliced into the air. I'd happily see him start Saturday. 

Unluckily/unfairly a GK is like a high wire walker...one slip and it’s curtains. playing well generally but then letting a shot go through you is just not good enough.

1 minute ago, kobayashi said:

Unluckily/unfairly a GK is like a high wire walker...one slip and it’s curtains. playing well generally but then letting a shot go through you is just not good enough.

Every team needs about 12 keepers then cos every keeper makes mistakes. You say it's not good enough, Westwood, Dawson and now Wildsmith have made mistakes this season that have cost us goals and games. Who do you want in the net against Brentford? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, latemodelchild said:

Every team needs about 12 keepers then cos every keeper makes mistakes. You say it's not good enough, Westwood, Dawson and now Wildsmith have made mistakes this season that have cost us goals and games. Who do you want in the net against Brentford? 

I think everyone knows who the best GK is at S6...he won’t be in the net at Brentford.

You have to give huge credit to Wildsmith for last night. Not played a 1st team game for about 18 months and makes a come back against Man City. Talk about back in at the deep end.

Also you can't blame him for the goal, he did everything right and was unlucky, slightly thinner edge on his forearm in would have flown over the bar and he'd be the new Gordon Banks. To call it a howler or even a mistake is wrong. Keepers aren't robots, it's an extremely difficult job especially when facing Man City. 

• Thanks 3

Let's be honest, he has to be better than Dawson

7 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

Not seen their goal back so don't know what the error was. From where we were it seemed like he blocked it but not fully. His distribution was better than Dawsons has been recently. His kicking is just more confident and not sliced into the air. I'd happily see him start Saturday. 

he did block the shot but it looped up and dropped into the net truth is the ball could have dropped anywhere ,but of course we are Wednesday and our luck ain't that good lol 

59 minutes ago, trevdi9 said:

he did block the shot but it looped up and dropped into the net truth is the ball could have dropped anywhere ,but of course we are Wednesday and our luck ain't that good lol 

It only did that because he got it wrong...

Amusing how people think it was unlucky...it was poor goalkeeping

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

yeah ok  have it your way , westy ain't coming back any time soon so the best of the worst is getting the job and after last night it should be wildsmith , he did enough against the prem champions to earn the shirt 

I prefer Wildsmith every time over Dawson.

36 minutes ago, trevdi9 said:

yeah ok  have it your way , westy ain't coming back any time soon so the best of the worst is getting the job and after last night it should be wildsmith , he did enough against the prem champions to earn the shirt 

Where did I say he didn’t?

I love how Wildsmith is rated on one game when he faced multiple shots on goal (and cost us the game). Yet his numerous mistakes in previous seasons and regular U23 errors are somehow forgotten.

Having watched both at first team and U23 level Dawson is by far the better keeper.

2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

I’m pretty sure you criticise Dawson too.. if you had to pick one surely it would be Wildsmith? Obviously Westwood is number 1 but Monk is a moron

With Wildsmith, I seem to remember him doing well in his first 15 or so appearances which was 4-5 years ago now. Then he was out the side as Westwood played nearly every game, and then Jos picked Dawson for some reason. 

I know he’s made some errors.. seem to remember Middlesbrough in the cup being one. But he has a decent clean sheet record when he plays for whatever reason and has better distribution. Dawson is a calamity who apart from a 6 game spell before Xmas averages two goals a game conceded which makes it really hard to win consistently. He needs releasing so god knows why he has a new 4 year contract 

I thought he was a bit unlucky with the goal last night and otherwise did very well

4 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I’m pretty sure you criticise Dawson too.. if you had to pick one surely it would be Wildsmith? Obviously Westwood is number 1 but Monk is a moron

With Wildsmith, I seem to remember him doing well in his first 15 or so appearances which was 4-5 years ago now. Then he was out the side as Westwood played nearly every game, and then Jos picked Dawson for some reason. 

I know he’s made some errors.. seem to remember Middlesbrough in the cup being one. But he has a decent clean sheet record when he plays for whatever reason and has better distribution. Dawson is a calamity who apart from a 6 game spell before Xmas averages two goals a game conceded which makes it really hard to win consistently. He needs releasing so god knows why he has a new 4 year contract 

I thought he was a bit unlucky with the goal last night and otherwise did very well

i think Dawson is far better, based upon the sheer amount of errors Wildsmith has made in the past and he’s significant improvement in commanding his box (Wildsmith just stays on his line)

that said, Dawson is in such poor form that we may as well give Wildsmith a coulple of games...even if he did wee wee tail up for the Man City goal...otherwise what’s the point in having him in the squad?

Defence looked more solid with Wildsmith last night so I would give him a go against Brentford. Hopefully it will be the makings of a run in the side as Dawson needs to come out of the firing line.