Look at this and tell me why..

4 minutes ago, rawsheffield said:

I'm unsure whether it would bring in more money looking at it purely from a 'gate receipts' perspective. But...

Imagine the boost to the community if it was fully re-engaged...

Imagine more bums on seats creating a better atmosphere and general feeling around the club...

Imagine if those extra bums on seats visit the club shop, buy a pint (or two halves 👀), or a chip butty...

Imagine the kids at £99 for the season, students at £150 per season with the thought that these people may become long term fans who in turn encourage other family members to join them at games because "the atmosphere is good and it's reasonably priced"...

Imagine deciding to go to the game at the last minute and not having to trawl through the internet to find and understand the cost and upon finding the cost deciding you can't afford to remortgage the house again.

Do you know what, if all of the above started to happen then YES we would make as much revenue as we currently do while charging £40 and pricing out our fan base.

This club need to get back to its community roots very quickly or the long term damage will be completely irretrievable.

Great post - the S2 lot did this very well last time they were in the PL and stole a march on us with a younger generation of fans

2 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

I didn't say Leeds have a £10k a week cap I said they are close. I know their Finance Director and believe me that is what stopped Vydra and a few others signing. They operate within a budget, hence why Jannson got moved on (he was apparently despised in the dressing room as well) but they are selling players and that is what makes them a more viable operation, not to mention they are selling the ground out every week

They are nowhere near close! They pay 30% more than we do in wages and our average wage is £16k! Vydra didn't sign because they would break the P&S rules, something which they will be close on anyway. If they don't go up this season, there will be some massive cutbacks there for sure.

1 minute ago, soldierboyblue said:

Great post - the S2 lot did this very well last time they were in the PL and stole a march on us with a younger generation of fans

The s2 lot also have a lot of schemes that encourages younger fans to attend. They also have schemes that enable money to go back into local grassroots football through ticket sales. As a community club they are light years in front of us. Its embarrassing really. 

1 minute ago, Minton said:

They are nowhere near close! They pay 30% more than we do in wages and our average wage is £16k! Vydra didn't sign because they would break the P&S rules, something which they will be close on anyway. If they don't go up this season, there will be some massive cutbacks there for sure.

I will agree to disagree with you reference wages.

They are close on P&S as are most clubs in the Championship, hence why they moved players on to bring in some revenue. 

1 minute ago, Minton said:

Except non of that reasoning is based on reality, just what you envisage happening based on your own feelings about SWFC.

History suggests that even with cheaper prices, our average gates dont go up with cheaper prices. Some of that is down to the amount of football in pubs and on TV and some is down to casual fans spreading their visits across a season.

Oh...OK, let's forget it then and carry on as we are. Because all is completely well at S6.

If we carry on doing nothing or carry on as we are, we genuinely risk becoming the 2nd club in Sheffield within the next 5 years - and that would be almost impossible to turn back around.

3 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

I will agree to disagree with you reference wages.

They are close on P&S as are most clubs in the Championship, hence why they moved players on to bring in some revenue. 

How can you disagree on wages? We had £34m in wages and lost a group of big earners before this season. The leeds owner stated at the end of 2019 they were paying £40m in wages.

Edited by Minton

4 minutes ago, rawsheffield said:

The Cantilever was used by away fans after the Hillsborough disaster. They were positioned at the Lep end with Wednesdayites in the Kop end. Very simple to implement.

I don't remember that seem to recall they went in the upper West only. Could be wrong. How many games was that for?

Don't think SAG would approve..

It would create  worse atmos as all the fans would be scatered all over the ground

Once you lose your POTD supporters, you dont only lose them , you lose their kids as well. We will suffer from this stupid policy of pricing POTD supporters out of going to Hillsbro. DC may well have lost us the next generation of supporters. 

Guest Bulgaria
28 minutes ago, Minton said:

Stoke are properly buggered as of next season too, they have 10 players on £50k+ per week and are losing ~£1m per week currently.

They are getting lots back though due to me losing my weekly accumulator on bet 365!!

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Buy players with potential and sell at profit

Improve commercial side of business

Increase positive comms to fans

Improve Matchday catering

Ensure ticket purchasing is easy

Acquire major sponsorships
Attract corporate partners and keep them

Scout and secure the best youth for academy 

Thats the starting blocks

Buy players with potential and sell at profit - Can you imagine the outcry if we did this

Improve commercial side of business - What would you suggest

Increase positive comms to fans - This was ok up to a year ago

Improve Matchday catering - We've tried out sourcing and doing it in house - neither worked

Ensure ticket purchasing is easy - I've never had issues with this

Acquire major sponsorships - What major sponsors will a middling Championship club attract
Attract corporate partners and keep them - Agree

Scout and secure the best youth for academy - Again this is a struggle for a team in our position, the better young players migrate to bigger clubs.

All good ideas in principle the reality is very different.

13 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Not many have richer owners than us.

You sure? I know to take what’s online, google and wiki with a pinch of salt but these are the estimated net worths of some of the championship clubs owners:

Barnsley $9.1 billion

Birmingham $570 million

Bristol City $2.5 billion

Cardiff $700 million

Charlton $880 million

Derby $500 million

Fulham $7.3 billion

Huddersfield $475 million

Forest $650 million

Preston $720 million

QPR $18 billion

Stoke $3.1 billion

West Brom $1.8 billion

Ipswich $825 million

Some of those figures could be way out but the point is there’s a lot of other multi millionaire and billionaire owners in the championship. Chansiri is a relative pauper compared to the likes of Khan at Fulham, Lansdown at Bristol City or Mittal at QPR.

We’re not in this mess because of FFP. We’re in it due to incompetence and mismanagement 

Guest Bulgaria
Just now, S36 OWL said:

Once you lose your POTD supporters, you dont only lose them , you lose their kids as well. We will suffer from this stupid policy of pricing POTD supporters out of going to Hillsbro. DC may well have lost us the next generation of supporters. 

Absolutely.

When I return to Sheffield every other month I don't  go because it's too expensive. Even if I could afford it, I wouldn't go anymore through principal.

1 minute ago, toppOwl said:

Buy players with potential and sell at profit - Can you imagine the outcry if we did this

Improve commercial side of business - What would you suggest

Increase positive comms to fans - This was ok up to a year ago

Improve Matchday catering - We've tried out sourcing and doing it in house - neither worked

Ensure ticket purchasing is easy - I've never had issues with this

Acquire major sponsorships - What major sponsors will a middling Championship club attract
Attract corporate partners and keep them - Agree

Scout and secure the best youth for academy - Again this is a struggle for a team in our position, the better young players migrate to bigger clubs.

All good ideas in principle the reality is very different.

The Pigs managed to be very successful using this approach. they have made tens of millions from it over the last decade. So why were they better than us at finding and attracting the best youth players in the area ? 

Neil is right.

The key to escaping this mess is effective player trading. We need to be an attractive place for younger players to come, where they can play and train and improve in a positive environment, with the unwritten or written agreement that we will sell at the right price to a top flight team. It hurts being a ‘selling club’ , but to be fair Spurs, Southampton et al are as well.

moving to that model potentially means, in the short term, we suffer on the pitch. It means we have to persist whilst a player gets used to the league rather than defaulting, as many are now, to demanding older more experienced players. But it really is our only way outz

The other stuff on ‘ match day experience’ is window dressing.

7 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I don't remember that seem to recall they went in the upper West only. Could be wrong. How many games was that for?

Don't think SAG would approve..

It would create  worse atmos as all the fans would be scatered all over the ground

Watch at 1:32 and you'll see netting over seats in North separating fans.

2 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

The Pigs managed to be very successful using this approach. they have made tens of millions from it over the last decade. So why were they better than us at finding and attracting the best youth players in the area ? 

For a good few years they were a top end Championship club whilst we didn't have a pot to pee in.

1 minute ago, toppOwl said:

This so called "outcry" must be the worst excuse ever put forward. Players coming and going is part of football. Every club does it and the fans at every club get over it. Just transitional setbacks. History proves it generally works out better in the long run anyway when money is used from a sale of one player to strengthen in several areas. As alluded to earlier in the thread, Norwich moved Maddison on, United moved Brooks on. Both clubs strengthened in other areas and got promoted automatically.

3 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Name a player they have developed through their academy that they have sold in the last decade.

5 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

You sure? I know to take what’s online, google and wiki with a pinch of salt but these are the estimated net worths of some of the championship clubs owners:

Barnsley $9.1 billion

Birmingham $570 million

Bristol City $2.5 billion

Cardiff $700 million

Charlton $880 million

Derby $500 million

Fulham $7.3 billion

Huddersfield $475 million

Forest $650 million

Preston $720 million

QPR $18 billion

Stoke $3.1 billion

West Brom $1.8 billion

Ipswich $825 million

Some of those figures could be way out but the point is there’s a lot of other multi millionaire and billionaire owners in the championship. Chansiri is a relative pauper compared to the likes of Khan at Fulham, Lansdown at Bristol City or Mittal at QPR.

We’re not in this mess because of FFP. We’re in it due to incompetence and mismanagement 

Read my previous posts around the money being badly spent. FFP has stopped us spending more money and in the current guise of the club this has not been a bad thing. 

3 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

This so called "outcry" must be the worst excuse ever put forward. Players coming and going is part of football. Every club does it and the fans at every club get over it. Just transitional setbacks. History proves it generally works out better in the long run anyway when money is used from a sale of one player to strengthen in several areas. As alluded to earlier in the thread, Norwich moved Maddison on, United moved Brooks on. Both clubs strengthened in other areas and got promoted automatically.

I fully agree but many are citing Brentford as a sterling example of how to run a club, they have never looked like getting promoted but continually sell their best players, our fans are baying for the Premier League you won't attain it doing this.