We do have something to lose tomorrow

People usually  say that when teams come up against far superior opposition in the cup that they have nothing to lose. I understand in situations where it is non league or league 1/2 against premier league teams. 

This certainly doesn’t apply to us, regardless of how good man city are. We will be outplayed technically from minute 1, we will not be criticised for this. What we will be criticised for is a lack of grit and certain not willing to put their bodies on the line. If we don’t see much of this tomorrow then this will send out a big message. You can say it’s monks fault for being ‘thrown under the bus’, but one of the major strengths of a Decent manager is being able to manage the dressing room, which has not been evident since Christmas. 

10 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

People usually  say that when teams come up against far superior opposition in the cup that they have nothing to lose. I understand in situations where it is non league or league 1/2 against premier league teams. 

This certainly doesn’t apply to us, regardless of how good man city are. We will be outplayed technically from minute 1, we will not be criticised for this. What we will be criticised for is a lack of grit and certain not willing to put their bodies on the line. If we don’t see much of this tomorrow then this will send out a big message. You can say it’s monks fault for being ‘thrown under the bus’, but one of the major strengths of a Decent manager is being able to manage the dressing room, which has not been evident since Christmas. 

Has Monk not sorted the dressing room by removing negative influences? May have cost us on the pitch though? Have not both Bannan and Fletcher stated that Monk is the best manager they have worked under, and Fletcher after a new contract cos he loves it here? Dont sound like a dressing room lost.  Cannot explain the performances though.

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

11 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

So if the players don't perform tomorrow it's because Monk has lost the dressing room and nothing to do with the individual players themselves? Players that have let themselves and the fans down consistently this season. 

Do you not play for the manager, respond to his attitude, if there's ill feeling it will run through the club and affect performances, not much any individual can do no matter how good they are, there are big problems at Hillsborough and I reckon its not all down to the players. 

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

So if the players don't perform tomorrow it's because Monk has lost the dressing room and nothing to do with the individual players themselves? Players that have let themselves and the fans down consistently this season. 

Not just this season either I'm afraid try for the last 3

1 hour ago, debram said:

Do you not play for the manager, respond to his attitude, if there's ill feeling it will run through the club and affect performances, not much any individual can do no matter how good they are, there are big problems at Hillsborough and I reckon its not all down to the players. 

What is the common denominator for the past few years - I'll give you a clue it ain't the manager(s). 

The players have to want it and I'm afraid that many of them simply don't and aren't prepared to battle and front up when it's needed. The manager has tried positive motivation, negative motivation, defending the players, berating them and everything in between.

There needs to be a massive clear out and bring in players in that do want to play and fight for the club, this will mean a proper look at players not just who have a reputation from the PL and Championship but across the divisions.

We can't just keep changing manager's it achieves nothing and gives the players even more a smug feeling when it occurs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Bulgaria

I am just hoping we can repeat our cup form.. I honestly can't see how we can get a result but I thought that against Brighton.

They could surprise us and only lose by 4.

You never know.

2 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

I am just hoping we can repeat our cup form.. I honestly can't see how we can get a result but I thought that against Brighton.

They could surprise us and only lose by 4.

You never know.

I can see it being 4 by half time mate. 

I agree totally with the OP from Sefton Owl:

"You can say it’s monks fault for being ‘thrown under the bus’, but one of the major strengths of a Decent manager is being able to manage the dressing room, which has not been evident since Christmas."

With regards to Monk, I’m all for him getting a chance to sort things out one minute then want him out the next. The more I think about it, I just think he’s gone past the point of no return very much like Jos did. Would anyone on here really trust him to carry out the necessary rebuild given what we’ve seen from his tenure here so far?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

As mentioned before I won't mind us losing as long as everyone puts a shift in. The manager shouldn't have to give an awe-inspiring speech before every game to get the players up for it. We need to be in their faces, hassling them, closing down and not giving them time on the ball. It's the least fans can expect and we haven't seen it for a while.

4 minutes ago, WindygrOWLer said:

As mentioned before I won't mind us losing as long as everyone puts a shift in. The manager shouldn't have to give an awe-inspiring speech before every game to get the players up for it. We need to be in their faces, hassling them, closing down and not giving them time on the ball. It's the least fans can expect and we haven't seen it for a while.

I just be happy if we actual turn up in the first half, it is getting very embarrassing have crap we are in the first 45 minutes of games.

4 home goals all season in the first half is not a great stat.