Or is it the players ?

We have too many players not getting the basics right. There are continual mistakes all over the field. Too many players seem incapable of receiving a pass, controlling it, keeping the ball if necessary, or passing it to a teammate. Exceptions are Bannan, Lee, Fletch ( & Dave). And now Windass, Modern Championship teams always have players who can do these things well. Most of these players we've never heard of. I'm sure all the teams we've played this year have been told to press us and we'll panic.Because most of our players do. So when Monk says his methods work well in training, but not in games, it;s easy to understand because we haven't the players to play a fluid passing game, or play out from the back. So what is Monk supposed to do. The only option is to hoof it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jackie Sewell said:

I know, so Monk's had to resort to hoofball and we've only got Fletcher who can cope with that. I think basically what i'm trying to say is too many players are past it or not good enough. So that's not Monk's fault. 

The players have made individual errors and the squad needs refreshing, no doubt about that. 

However, the manager sets the tone. As you say we were effective 1st half of the season with Fletcher. As a manager you can't just be over-reliant on one system that breaks down completely if you lose one player. Our results were always going to dip without Fletcher in the side but it really shouldn't happen to the extent it has done. We have been 2nd best against every side we have faced in the league since Christmas other than Charlton and most of them have been in the bottom half and in poor form when we have played them. 

Our approach at home has been shocking most of the season and has contributed to the lack of atmosphere because we never play with the intent of getting on the front foot from the start.   

25 minutes ago, Jackie Sewell said:

We have too many players not getting the basics right. There are continual mistakes all over the field. Too many players seem incapable of receiving a pass, controlling it, keeping the ball if necessary, or passing it to a teammate. Exceptions are Bannan, Lee, Fletch ( & Dave). And now Windass, Modern Championship teams always have players who can do these things well. Most of these players we've never heard of. I'm sure all the teams we've played this year have been told to press us and we'll panic.Because most of our players do. So when Monk says his methods work well in training, but not in games, it;s easy to understand because we haven't the players to play a fluid passing game, or play out from the back. So what is Monk supposed to do. The only option is to hoof it. 

Coaching more likely. 
Most Championship clubs have a manager, assistant, a goalkeeping coach plus defensive and attacking coaches. They mostly have a system and stick with it, consequently they look well drilled defensively and fluid in transition to attack.

We have Monk, Bullen and Weaver., two ex defenders and an ex keeper.

Need I say more?

8 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The players have made individual errors and the squad needs refreshing, no doubt about that. 

However, the manager sets the tone. As you say we were effective 1st half of the season with Fletcher. As a manager you can't just be over-reliant on one system that breaks down completely if you lose one player. Our results were always going to dip without Fletcher in the side but it really shouldn't happen to the extent it has done. We have been 2nd best against every side we have faced in the league since Christmas other than Charlton and most of them have been in the bottom half and in poor form when we have played them. 

Our approach at home has been shocking most of the season and has contributed to the lack of atmosphere because we never play with the intent of getting on the front foot from the start.   

Unless he's the only player that's any good lol

All the players we have are more than capable of not making the basic errors they made at the weekend, if they need Monk to show them how to do the basics then they should be considering other careers.

They should all be in every day practising get those faults ironed out.  And they shouldn't be told to come in every day either.

Not convinced Monk is the man for the job (purely on his style of football), but I can't bring myself to blame Monk for Saturdays result.

Any player who can't consistently pass the ball accurately shouldn't play at Championship level. Same with receiving a pass. Some things should be taken for granted at this level.

100% effort every game, basic skills, determination, will to win and tactical awareness are what should be expected from players earning £20K per week.

Monk sees the players in training and they do what is required. They get on the pitch and they go to pieces, taking no responsibility, unable to do the basic things, trying to play safe then making a mess. No matter how much Monk tells them, its what they do on the pitch, he can only shout from the side. Tactics seem to work before Christmas so I think its more about the players, most lack confidence.

We have had some bad luck as well and for as much as everyone seems to be blaming Dawson he just has no cover in front of him (more since Christmas) .

Bannan is a world beater one minute and a villain the next, midfield has been a major problem for years. Luongo seemed to be fitting in well and then got injured, Reach who tends to set up goals is also injured and only Murphy has stepped up. The only positive is that we are getting a lot of shots although many not on target. FF is getting fitter and will find his shooting boots soon I hope, Fletcher is always a handful when fully fit. I have been disappointed in Wickham thought he would offer more but hopefully Windass can continue in good form.

Hope we can avoid relegation after points deduction and start a new rebuild.

• Like 1

Different managers, different systems and tactics, same players (by and large) = same outcome. 

Assigning blame isn't particularly constructive, but IMO the players more culpable. It is what it is though until the summer window.

Weve lacked any footballing identity for years. If as it seems Monk is the one given the opportunity to instill this going into next season, he'll live or die by the quality of performances and results. This season has eroded any goodwill he may have been afforded due to the situation he inherited.

It is a difficult job though trying to get consistency from a flawed squad, someone elses backroom staff leftovers and the sporadic support of an absent owner.

The way Windass played when he came on vs Derby is what we want. 

Receive ball -

run into space with it if you can -

if you can’t, move it on quick -

get ready to receive ball again - 

look forward first, not backwards 

When you watch someone like Brentford, you see that a lot. 

Compare that to us, going sideways or backwards, hiding not wanting the ball. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jackie Sewell said:

the basic pain in the nuts is our side was built/bought for promotion 3/4 years ago, and at that time they were in their pomp.  since the crash of the third year, we've spent little, but we've sold little to bring in capital to allow us any wiggle room.

enjoy this year, next might be worse.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Jackie Sewell said:

I agree with this...however, I'd not include Bannan in the list of competent passers...he gives the ball away regularly every match.

It really doesn't matter who is picked, if a player cannot find his team mate from 5 yards, or fail to track a runner or not put a tackle in !!!!.

Monk does not tell his players to do the above, and interestingly, in one of his first pre match press conferences, he stated that he wanted the players to react during the game and adjust accordingly, giving them the freedom to change and adapt as the game developed.

It seems that some players cannot do this, which has an adverse effect and has produced the dire results recently. 

I do not hold with the belief that it is not the players who are to blame. They are professional footballers, who should be able, in game, to adapt to what us in front of them. Sticking rigidly to and playing like robots is not the managers fault, albeit, a certain amount of tactical awareness and team set up is necessary, players have the responsibility of implementing and influencing the style of play on the pitch.

We have, on paper, a decent Championship squad, but constant individual errors, compound any good that we try and achieve.