Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Love U Orly

X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

 

I'm asking genuine questions  if we have reduce our ticket prices how do we make up the shortfall? 

 

People have suggested various ways of making up the difference but those have  not worked in the past and if they had why wouldn't DC carry on doing it? Just doesn't make logical sense to me. 

 

The trading of players is where we have slipped up but apart from Joao have we had any genuine sellable assets? Cetainly not enough to make a signicant difference. 

 

I'm more than happy to go down the path of lower prices but not seen

 any models which would make up the shortfall. 

 

He will be forced to go down the road of lower prices due to supply and demand which is scary. 

 

I still believe that we had success to early in the first two seasons he had to go for it when the opportunity arose. That derailed evolution of the club. 

 

The bit in bold is where you've answered your own question about making up the shortfall.

 

The majority of our player's saleability isn't great at the moment.  That's because the club have allowed assets to depreciate in value to the point where over half of our first team squad are out of contract at the end of this season.  It's an unbelievably poor business model.

 

Run the club like a business, get a decent infrastructure put in place, buy young hungry players, frequently sell for a profit when the time is right, replace & repeat.

 

Look at the likes of Brentford, Preston North End, Bristol City.  They're all doing it correctly.

 

It's hardly rocket science.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

 

The bit in bold is where you've answered your own question about making up the shortfall.

 

The majority of our player's saleability isn't great at the moment.  That's because the club have allowed assets to depreciate in value to the point where over half of our first team squad are out of contract at the end of this season.  It's an unbelievably poor business model.

 

Run the club like a business, get a decent infrastructure put in place, buy young hungry players, frequently sell for a profit when the time is right, replace & repeat.

 

Look at the likes of Brentford, Preston North End, Bristol City.  They're all doing it correctly.

 

It's hardly rocket science.

 

You mention three clubs there and yes they might be well run but they ain't going anywhere, DC came in with the aim to get us to the Prem, doing what these clubs do won't achieve that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

 

You mention three clubs there and yes they might be well run but they ain't going anywhere, DC came in with the aim to get us to the Prem, doing what these clubs do won't achieve that.

 

All of them have a better chance than us.

 

Our target is to avoid relegation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

 

You mention three clubs there and yes they might be well run but they ain't going anywhere, DC came in with the aim to get us to the Prem, doing what these clubs do won't achieve that.

 

Are you assuming that the aim of the said three clubs is NOT to reach the Premier League? Perhaps they too want to play in the PL but also run their clubs in a competent and sustainable manner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChinaOwl said:

 

Are you assuming that the aim of the said three clubs is NOT to reach the Premier League? Perhaps they too want to play in the PL but also run their clubs in a competent and sustainable manner.

 

I'm assuming they are happy to be sustainable at the level they are at, they might get lucky one time and achieve it but its unlikely, if DC who is potentially worth millions had breezed into the club with this pragmatic approach our fans would have gone ballistic, your only speaking now with hindsight after the initial gamble faded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, toppOwl said:

 

I'm assuming they are happy to be sustainable at the level they are at, they might get lucky one time and achieve it but its unlikely, if DC who is potentially worth millions had breezed into the club with this pragmatic approach our fans would have gone ballistic, your only speaking now with hindsight after the initial gamble faded.

There is a halfway house between a pragmatic approach and a reckless gamble. DC could have used his financial resources to improve on the models set by clubs like Brentford but still maintained a steady turnover over players thus self financing new signings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

 

You mention three clubs there and yes they might be well run but they ain't going anywhere, DC came in with the aim to get us to the Prem, doing what these clubs do won't achieve that.

Yeah, not like us- we're going places!

Like Swindon, for the first game of next season...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

 

You mention three clubs there and yes they might be well run but they ain't going anywhere, DC came in with the aim to get us to the Prem, doing what these clubs do won't achieve that.

 

I bet all 3 of those clubs have a better chance of being in the Premier League int he next 5 years than Wednesday do.
Also if you get your infrastructure right you have more chance of staying in the Premier League one you get there.
Think if Wednesday did manage to beat Hull at Wembley in 2016 by 2020 we would have been in the same position we are now with our throw money at it strategy.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

 

I bet all 3 of those clubs have a better chance of being in the Premier League int he next 5 years than Wednesday do.
Also if you get your infrastructure right you have more chance of staying in the Premier League one you get there.
Think if Wednesday did manage to beat Hull at Wembley in 2016 by 2020 we would have been in the same position we are now with our throw money at it strategy.
 

 

I'd go into a bookies tomorrow and safely bet that none of those will be near the Prem in 5 years.

 

Your all speaking here with hindsight, any links to where you said this when DC first took over?

Edited by toppOwl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

 

I'm assuming they are happy to be sustainable at the level they are at, they might get lucky one time and achieve it but its unlikely, if DC who is potentially worth millions had breezed into the club with this pragmatic approach our fans would have gone ballistic, your only speaking now with hindsight after the initial gamble faded.


Absolutely not
I was fuming we had gone down the reckless approach

Now it's just apathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

Your all speaking here with hindsight, any links to where you said this when DC first took over?


 

Nobody was complaining when we got to Wembley eh??

 

#cliche 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

 

I'd go into a bookies tomorrow and safely bet that none of those will be near the Prem in 5 years.

 

Your all speaking here with hindsight, any links to where you said this when DC first took over?

 

I bet in 5 years time though if Preston, Brentford and Bristol City have not reached the Premier League that still would have solid foundations, no points deductions and sensible ticket prices.
If Wednesday were a mid table Premier League side now on a par with someone like Southampton then Chansiri would be quite happy to accept the deserved praise, now we look like we are heading for choppy waters he has to be big enough to take the criticism on the chin.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, toppOwl said:

 

You mention three clubs there and yes they might be well run but they ain't going anywhere, DC came in with the aim to get us to the Prem, doing what these clubs do won't achieve that.

 

Hmm, I’ve just had a look at the League table and all three of those clubs are in the top 7 right now.  So there’s actually a decent chance that one of them will go up via the playoffs this year.

 

All those three clubs are doing well.  And guess what, they don’t fleece the fans with ripoff ticket prices, they haven't been in receipt of parachute payments and they don’t operate under unsustainable financial losses.

 

You could probably throw Nottingham Forest in there as a well run club doing well in the league too.  Although they did make a few big signings between 2014-18, they a bit better run these days.

 

At the very least, you know those clubs will either be in the Championship or possibly even the Premier League next season.  Can you say the same about us?

Edited by Westfield Owl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

 

 

Your all speaking here with hindsight, any links to where you said this when DC first took over?

 

Concerns about DC 's lack of credentials were raised by many of us from the start.

 

No record in business whatsoever was a huge alarm bell in itself. He immediately started to make odd decisions, and the Doyen role was the subject of a lot of concern.

 

No satisfaction in being proven right in our fears that DC would be a catastrophic disaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

 

Concerns about DC 's lack of credentials were raised by many of us from the start.

 

No record in business whatsoever was a huge alarm bell in itself. He immediately started to make odd decisions, and the Doyen role was the subject of a lot of concern.

 

No satisfaction in being proven right in our fears that DC would be a catastrophic disaster.

I was always wary but at first it was solely based on my "Richards was a hero once" mantra. Then it was the Bristol City prices that did it for me. And what a load of negs and poo comments it's got me ever since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rickygoo said:

I was always wary but at first it was solely based on my "Richards was a hero once" mantra. Then it was the Bristol City prices that did it for me. And what a load of negs and poo comments it's got me ever since.

Although my opinions have garnered me an invite from @casbahowl to one of his swanky drinks parties so its not been without silver linings.  

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:


 

Nobody was complaining when we got to Wembley eh??

 

#cliche 

 

You might have been, you never stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rickygoo said:

Although my opinions have garnered me an invite from @casbahowl to one of his swanky drinks parties so its not been without silver linings.  

 

If you haven't had a foul mouthed abusive pm from him,  you aren't getting close to the truth.

 

🤣

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was nowt intrinsically wrong with DC's early approach at promotion to the PL aside from the lack of contingency in case it didn't come off. He knew (or at least should have known) that the maximum permitted losses under FFP would be £39 million over three years. It was obvious to even several posters on this forum that we were coming perilously close to the limit well within the second year. That should have prompted action from DC but he appeared to do nothing. More players were signed and the wage bill increased.

 

In that time, we purportedly had offers for Forestieri, Lees, Reach and Lee. Nobody likes losing players of course but there are times when needs must. DC should have shown strong leadership. We have reached the point we are at now purely and simply because of financial mismanagement. Don't try to write it off purely as a gamble that failed or point to fine margins between success and failure.

 

No contingency equals risk and risk will always come back to bite people up the backside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...