My First ITK

3 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I bet all 3 of those clubs have a better chance of being in the Premier League int he next 5 years than Wednesday do.
Also if you get your infrastructure right you have more chance of staying in the Premier League one you get there.
Think if Wednesday did manage to beat Hull at Wembley in 2016 by 2020 we would have been in the same position we are now with our throw money at it strategy.

I'd go into a bookies tomorrow and safely bet that none of those will be near the Prem in 5 years.

Your all speaking here with hindsight, any links to where you said this when DC first took over?

Edited by toppOwl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

I'm assuming they are happy to be sustainable at the level they are at, they might get lucky one time and achieve it but its unlikely, if DC who is potentially worth millions had breezed into the club with this pragmatic approach our fans would have gone ballistic, your only speaking now with hindsight after the initial gamble faded.

Absolutely not
I was fuming we had gone down the reckless approach

Now it's just apathy

12 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

I'd go into a bookies tomorrow and safely bet that none of those will be near the Prem in 5 years.

Your all speaking here with hindsight, any links to where you said this when DC first took over?

I bet in 5 years time though if Preston, Brentford and Bristol City have not reached the Premier League that still would have solid foundations, no points deductions and sensible ticket prices.
If Wednesday were a mid table Premier League side now on a par with someone like Southampton then Chansiri would be quite happy to accept the deserved praise, now we look like we are heading for choppy waters he has to be big enough to take the criticism on the chin.

1 hour ago, toppOwl said:

You mention three clubs there and yes they might be well run but they ain't going anywhere, DC came in with the aim to get us to the Prem, doing what these clubs do won't achieve that.

Hmm, I’ve just had a look at the League table and all three of those clubs are in the top 7 right now.  So there’s actually a decent chance that one of them will go up via the playoffs this year.

All those three clubs are doing well.  And guess what, they don’t fleece the fans with ripoff ticket prices, they haven't been in receipt of parachute payments and they don’t operate under unsustainable financial losses.

You could probably throw Nottingham Forest in there as a well run club doing well in the league too.  Although they did make a few big signings between 2014-18, they a bit better run these days.

At the very least, you know those clubs will either be in the Championship or possibly even the Premier League next season.  Can you say the same about us?

Edited by Westfield Owl

23 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

Concerns about DC 's lack of credentials were raised by many of us from the start.

No record in business whatsoever was a huge alarm bell in itself. He immediately started to make odd decisions, and the Doyen role was the subject of a lot of concern.

No satisfaction in being proven right in our fears that DC would be a catastrophic disaster.

2 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Concerns about DC 's lack of credentials were raised by many of us from the start.

No record in business whatsoever was a huge alarm bell in itself. He immediately started to make odd decisions, and the Doyen role was the subject of a lot of concern.

No satisfaction in being proven right in our fears that DC would be a catastrophic disaster.

I was always wary but at first it was solely based on my "Richards was a hero once" mantra. Then it was the Bristol City prices that did it for me. And what a load of negs and poo comments it's got me ever since.

Just now, rickygoo said:

I was always wary but at first it was solely based on my "Richards was a hero once" mantra. Then it was the Bristol City prices that did it for me. And what a load of negs and poo comments it's got me ever since.

Although my opinions have garnered me an invite from @casbahowl to one of his swanky drinks parties so its not been without silver linings.  

• Haha 4

There was nowt intrinsically wrong with DC's early approach at promotion to the PL aside from the lack of contingency in case it didn't come off. He knew (or at least should have known) that the maximum permitted losses under FFP would be £39 million over three years. It was obvious to even several posters on this forum that we were coming perilously close to the limit well within the second year. That should have prompted action from DC but he appeared to do nothing. More players were signed and the wage bill increased.

In that time, we purportedly had offers for Forestieri, Lees, Reach and Lee. Nobody likes losing players of course but there are times when needs must. DC should have shown strong leadership. We have reached the point we are at now purely and simply because of financial mismanagement. Don't try to write it off purely as a gamble that failed or point to fine margins between success and failure.

No contingency equals risk and risk will always come back to bite people up the backside.

7 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

and the Doyen role was the subject of a lot of concern.

Shame it wasn’t such a concern for Milan Mandaric when he set it up 

Hahahhaa no satisfaction ? If you say so 

11 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Hmm, I’ve just had a look at the League table and all three of those clubs are in the top 7 right now.  So there’s actually a decent chance that one of them will go up via the playoffs this year.

All those three clubs are doing well.  And guess what, they don’t fleece the fans with ripoff ticket prices, they haven't been in receipt of parachute payments and they don’t operate under unsustainable financial losses.

You could probably throw Nottingham Forest in there as a well run club doing well in the league too.  Although they did make a few big signings between 2014-18, they a bit better run these days.

At the very least, you know those clubs will either be in the Championship or possibly even the Premier League next season.  Can you say the same about us?

A lot of words there, they still won't be in the Prem next season though.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

Shame it wasn’t such a concern for Milan Mandaric when he set it up 

Hahahhaa no satisfaction ? If you say so 

Milan handed the club over in a much better position than Del Boy DC has us now.

48 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

I'm assuming they are happy to be sustainable at the level they are at, they might get lucky one time and achieve it but its unlikely, if DC who is potentially worth millions had breezed into the club with this pragmatic approach our fans would have gone ballistic, your only speaking now with hindsight after the initial gamble faded.

Absolutely not. There's nothing particularly special about us.

Derby County for example are quite a similar type of club to us (with the advantage of having a decent ground). They were really strong promotion contenders in 2013-14 ie two seasons before the first of our two good seasons. They still haven't got promoted and are now some way away. 

Forest, a higher profile club than us, have been away from the top flight for ages. They may well get there this year but it's more likely they won't. And then who knows. It is really tricky - we see it time over - to follow up. 

All we can ask for is a sustainably run club that can compete at its level and hopefully isn't dull to watch. Taking big downside risk to get into a higher division is very much not what is wanted 

2 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Milan handed the club over in a much better position than Del Boy DC has us now.

He handed the club over after orchestrating the Doyen deal your up in arms about mate 

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

He handed the club over after orchestrating the Doyen deal your up in arms about mate 

I suppose now that DC has tried blaming the fans, the EFL, the weather, and golden elephants for his failings, Milan is his next target.