My First ITK

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Not suggesting that Chansiri has made a single penny out of things - not at all

But I am saying that price increases for success are a total MYTH that has been sold to faithful passionate believers in the PR of the club

Is it fair to say if you have a bigger budget for players then it gives more expectation and increases the chance of signing better players so improving the chances of promotion?

4 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

There is no guarantee and no one did guarantee it, it just gave us a more competitive edge.

I agree they is no guarantee on getting promotion but think for the higher prices the minimum we should expect is to be a promotion challenging side.

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

But I am saying that price increases for success are a total MYTH that has been sold to faithful passionate believers in the PR of the club

I would doubt that the club have a PR team :biggrin: I have never suggested that the prices are not too high, I have never pretended that he has not maybe wasted a lot, just defended the rip off line as people seem to suggest that he is ripping us off to make money, when that does not appear to be the case. It inflames the issue if people think as some have suggested that he is lining his pockets.

• Like 1

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

8 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

How much has the rise in ticket prices made the club since 2015? 

Does that amount 100% cover the rise in transfer fees and wages in that time?

We were led to believe ticket prices had to go up to help us buy better players - did our extra money do that?

Or - as I suspect - did it bring in an amount of money that was negligible compared to the money spent on wages. In which case it was completely unneccessary.

Average ticket price of £20 vs £35 is a 75% increase in POTG revenue, which equates to millions per season, so a significant amount of money when it comes to FFP and now P&S. Even a decrease in ticket sales with higher prices still means more money coming into the club. The additional revenue would be a player on £30k a week signing.

Just now, Minton said:

Average ticket price of £20 vs £35 is a 75% increase in POTG revenue, which equates to millions per season, so a significant amount of money when it comes to FFP and now P&S. Even a decrease in ticket sales with higher prices still means more money coming into the club. The additional revenue would be a player on £30k a week signing.

Average went from £23 to £33.

How much do you think the wage bill went up by? 

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

I agree they is no guarantee on getting promotion but think for the higher prices the minimum we should expect is to be a promotion challenging side.

What we expect and what occurs so often doesn't happen in all aspects of life.

The leagues are littered with clubs who have thrown money at it and not succeeded. 

I do think he has to rethink his ticketing policy as no one is going to buy into it again.

How he does that is another matter.

7 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

We were for a couple of seasons, trouble is all our eggs were in one basket.

6 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Agreed. That does seem strange and seems like a poor decision. 

Probably told them in the hope of motivating them to keep winning as we had an extra 12 points to make up for. Worked well.

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Many years ago I was a member of a club. 

Every year we had the AGM and the turnout was usually pitiful. 

One year we got a new Chair from down Sutton Coldfield way. Flash bounder.

Anyway, he announces at a committee meeting that he was going to make it a ticket only event and charge the membership £20 to attend the coming years AGM.

"What!" We all scoffed. "We want the membership to attend, not put them off further."

Tickets went on sale.

We had the highest turnout for years.

There were no extras. No free bar. Nothing! Yet they sold.

As he saw me gawping incredulously around the hall he came over and put an oily hand on my shoulder. "Charge and people think it's going to be good" he smirked. "No one wants to miss out"

4 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

The leagues are littered with clubs who have thrown money at it and not succeeded. 

I do think he has to rethink his ticketing policy as no one is going to buy into it again.

How he does that is another matter.

A lot of the damage has been done now.

I’ll be surprised if crowds start going up again while DC is still at the club 

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Many years ago I was a member of a club. 

Every year we had the AGM and the turnout was usually pitiful. 

One year we got a new Chair from down Sutton Coldfield way. Flash bounder.

Anyway, he announces at a committee meeting that he was going to make it a ticket only event and charge the membership £20 to attend the coming years AGM.

"What!" We all scoffed. "We want the membership to attend, not put them off further."

Tickets went on sale.

We had the highest turnout for years.

There were no extras. No free bar. Nothing! Yet they sold.

As he saw me gawping incredulously around the hall he came over and put an oily hand on my shoulder. "Charge and people think it's going to be good" he smirked. "No one wants to miss out"

Was it Boris? 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

In other sectors of trade and industry, companies or organisations are not permitted to make misleading claims under consumer protection rights. The questionnaire put in the public domain by the club alluded to higher prices being reflected in higher standards on the pitch. Whether that is intended or not, how can it not be a misleading statement?

6 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

Average went from £23 to £33.

How much do you think the wage bill went up by? 

So we increased the matchday revenues by ~60%. It won't have covered the entirety of the wage increase but we would have failed P&S had we not done it. 

It didn't work, but it was close to getting us promoted. In hindsight, it was probably the wrong call, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

1 minute ago, ChinaOwl said:

In other sectors of trade and industry, companies or organisations are not permitted to make misleading claims under consumer protection rights. The questionnaire put in the public domain by the club alluded to higher prices being reflected in higher standards on the pitch. Whether that is intended or not, how can it not be a misleading statement?

Our 2 highest finishes since premier league relegation, a play off final and a play off semi final would argue that the standards were higher.

17 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Is it fair to say if you have a bigger budget for players then it gives more expectation and increases the chance of signing better players so improving the chances of promotion?

Unless of course you're Chris Wilder, who can sign a complete bag of poo , get the likes of Leon Clarke scoring for fun,and still win promotion. Funny old world sometimes.

Just now, Minton said:

Our 2 highest finishes since premier league relegation, a play off final and a play off semi final would argue that the standards were higher.

I believe the questionnaire was circulated after that IIRC.

Just now, Minton said:

So we increased the matchday revenues by ~60%. It won't have covered the entirety of the wage increase but we would have failed P&S had we not done it. 

It didn't work, but it was close to getting us promoted. In hindsight, it was probably the wrong call, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

We’ve not increased matchday revenue anywhere near 60%.

It will have been better in the season 2016/17 but in the last 3 seasons (apart from the away fans) there is barely any POTGers at most games 

22 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

Who has said anything about the latter?! There doesn't have to be an ulterior motive for a rip off to occur.

Well i think there does.  Its a volatile subject as nobody likes paying too much, but it is further inflamed by many saying he is ripping us off to line his own pockets, and at the moment I do not believe that to be the case.

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"