There’s no way Monk decides who comes and goes

Just now, the third man said:

if that's true its his fault, no way would I take a job where whether I could do my job depended on someone else's decisions

Maybe managers don’t know what’s what when they take the job

Jos said he wasn’t aware of many things when he took the job

Monk has hinted at the same

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, the third man said:

if that's true its his fault, no way would I take a job where whether I could do my job depended on someone else's decisions

To be honest I’d much rather look at this recruitment thing than any poor manager who have been in position dealing with it

The focus needs to be on who brings players to the club, and who decides if we sell or not

Thats what’s creating the real true issues here

Owlstalk Shop

There were some interesting lines in The Athletic this week

In difficult times over the past few years at Sheffield Wednesday, Sam Hutchinson has often been a voice of leadership in the dressing room, cajoling, encouraging and motivating those around him. Always the first to arrive at Hillsborough on match day along with fellow first-team mainstay Liam Palmer, Hutchinson is personable and well liked by team-mates. When the going has got tough, the 30-year-old has so often been the player to get Wednesday going on and off the field — but not recently.

And re him and Westwood....

“Both players, known to be influential in the Wednesday dressing room, have been sent to train separately from the first team......”

“Despite Westwood’s statement, The Athletic understands that in some cases players have been sent away from first-team training by members of coaching staff without individual discussions with Monk — instead having to seek the Wednesday boss out for clarity on their exclusion after the event.

Those players who have been excluded from first-team training are not thought to be training with the under-23s — some of whom train with the senior side anyway as Monk looks to promote youth when possible — and are instead training away from the rest of the group, which has caused frustration.”

Whats all that about? 

Been the issue for a long long time! 

Holding onto players who’ll never get near the team, rejecting offers for players on big contracts, offering big wages to players passed their sell by date and not signing/bringing youth through! 

All responsibility ultimately sits with DC albeit I’m sure he’s had bad advice along the way from others! 

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

More and more I think that our recruitment strategy needs the most acute assessment 

it’s looking scary to me for sure

The definition of insanity, repeating the same mistakes over and over again and expecting a different outcome.

I have some sympathy with Monk, so who is responsible?

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Maybe managers don’t know what’s what when they take the job

Jos said he wasn’t aware of many things when he took the job

Monk has hinted at the same

Again, if I was taking the job, that would be one of the first questions I would ask, Bruce must have, because he said he was in charge of transfers on many occasions

14 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

More and more, I'm starting to think I dreamt that a manager as experienced and canny as Bruce ever thought managing our club was a decent career move, even if he only stayed for 18 games.

Well at least we know why he literally walked to Newcastle to take the wrath of the fans there than wait around for the annual contract negotiation car crash at Hillsborough. 

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

To be honest I’d much rather look at this recruitment thing than any poor manager who have been in position dealing with it

The focus needs to be on who brings players to the club, and who decides if we sell or not

Planning and transfer strategy is the root cause of every problem that now exists at the club. I thought from the outset, setting up transfer committees was a crap idea. It pandered to the vultures and leeches in the game that would want to take advantage of unprepared and unknowing newbie owners. We should have stuck with the tried and trusted for the time being at least until Chansiri had a deeper understanding of the game, i.e. leave recruitment to the manager alone to make the decisions. It will be hard to reverse now. The bulk of the damage is done.

You would think, 5 years in, multi millions spent and the club heading for relegation, DC would reflect and say "how can we as a club do things better"

You and I would think that. But DC....... no. All roads lead to him and he's taking us to oblivion. 

7 minutes ago, Animis said:

Who actually is 'the Club'. I doubt it's DC - no doubt he has some say, but day-to-day footballing matters, I don't think so.

Are we saying DC still has the likes of Paxo involved?

Paxo is frequently seen at matches mate.

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Couldn’t agree more.

If it’s not Monk and it’s not DC (surely not) who is (and has been) targeting players to sign?

There is very little structure at the club anyway.

The tea lady? 

We somehow need a new owner, a new chief exec, a new manager and (at the end of the season) a largely new team, all against the back drop of needing to avoid a big points deduction and possible relegation.

There is literally nobody at the club equipped to deal with this situation, hence the situation existing in the first place.

Woo

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

We somehow need a new owner, a new chief exec, a new manager and (at the end of the season) a largely new team, all against the back drop of needing to avoid a big points deduction and possible relegation.

There is literally nobody at the club equipped to deal with this situation, hence the situation existing in the first place.

Woo

But at least he chucked some money at it.

lol

• Haha 2