Boro legend G Friend was frozen out by Toxic Monk

12 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

George Friend started his professional career at Exeter City in 2015.  After a short spell at Wolves he joined Middlesborough in 2012.

Since that date he has become something of a legend at the Riverside.

That was until Toxic Monk arrived who froze him out almost immediately.

However the Boro players stood firm against the Manager and Toxic Monk was fired by the owner in response just before Xmas 2017.

As a footnote Geoeorge Friend played every single minute of the rest of the season undere ne manager Tony Pulis as the team qualified for the Championship Play Off's.

Sound familiar behaviour by Toxic Monk?

I live just outside Middlesbrough, he IS NO legend, in fact nobody mentions him. Can you please name the sources of your wild speculation to this thread? 

Middlesborough fans were complaining that performances had tailed off and that they were slipping off the play off pace, a lot thought it down to Monk constantly changing personnel and formations.

Of course it might simply have been that a manager was available and that other clubs (including us) were looking to change before a new transfer window opened.

2 minutes ago, should know better said:

Of course it might simply have been that a manager was available and that other clubs (including us) were looking to change before a new transfer window opened.

I gather Gibson was a big fan of Pulis so it was nabbing the man they really wanted when they could. Not so much who or what Monk was but who he wasn't.  Apparently the football was terrible but if that was the real problem then Pulis wouldn't be the man to replace him.

Edited by rickygoo

14 hours ago, crookesowl said:

Whilst I want Monk out it’s not personal. I genuinely believe he is working his socks off. 

Trying to give him a nickname like Toxic Monk is just wrong though. 

If Monk was giving your girlfriend /  boyfriend one you would be as upset as the OP lol

Edited by daveyboy66
  • Haha 1

The Middlesborough Gazette view:

"George Friend has cemented his status as a Middlesbrough legend"

"Then, after working hard to regain his fitness over the summer, he started just five league games back in the Championship under new manager Garry Monk before being dropped to the bench.

One of Tony Pulis’s first acts on taking charge was to restore Friend to the first team and that’s where he’s stayed pretty much ever since, playing every minute of every league game.

That’s a remarkable record for a player who puts his body on the line every time he pulls on a shirt.

He even wore a mask to protect the nose he broke at Stoke earlier this season.

It’s no secret George Friend is a nice bloke. He speaks well, he’s polite, considerate, inquisitive and well informed.

Friend was resilient, honest, hard-working and thoroughly decent. In other words everything that’s good about Boro and Teessiders. Not bad for a Southerner."

2 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

The Middlesborough Gazette view:

"George Friend has cemented his status as a Middlesbrough legend"

"Then, after working hard to regain his fitness over the summer, he started just five league games back in the Championship under new manager Garry Monk before being dropped to the bench.

One of Tony Pulis’s first acts on taking charge was to restore Friend to the first team and that’s where he’s stayed pretty much ever since, playing every minute of every league game.

That’s a remarkable record for a player who puts his body on the line every time he pulls on a shirt.

He even wore a mask to protect the nose he broke at Stoke earlier this season.

It’s no secret George Friend is a nice bloke. He speaks well, he’s polite, considerate, inquisitive and well informed.

Friend was resilient, honest, hard-working and thoroughly decent. In other words everything that’s good about Boro and Teessiders. Not bad for a Southerner."

All the qualities of a great footballer, no wonder he's a footballing legend :rolleyes:

On 01/03/2020 at 09:37, @owlstalk said:

Bizarre thread

Why?

Because it points out that Monk has done this before? 

Or because you can't argue against it?

Monk needs the boot. He's not up the scratch and is a stubborn ****.

Just now, Mr Hooper said:

Why?

Because it points out that Monk has done this before? 

Or because you can't argue against it?

Monk needs the boot. He's not up the scratch and is a stubborn ****.

Maybe he is a strong manager who doesn’t accept player power 

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Best players or most disruptive toxic ones?

Well, I have proof that they are our best players from performances/stats and watching them,

Can you prove that they are disruptive ones?

In response to the comment:

"Maybe he is a strong manager who doesn’t accept player power".

I have to say I see strength in a leader in a very different way.

For me a strong manager is one who blends all the diverse talents in a team and creates a common sense of purpose.

I really disliked the freezing out of players under Luhukay and I do not like it now at SWFC under Monk.

Great football managers like Paisley, Clough, Ferguson, Wenger never needed to freeze any one out.

They just created a real team ethic, focus and spirit.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

In response to the comment:

"Maybe he is a strong manager who doesn’t accept player power".

I have to say I see strength in a leader in a very different way.

For me a strong manager is one who blends all the diverse talents in a team and creates a common sense of purpose.

I really disliked the freezing out of players under Luhukay and I do not like it now at SWFC under Monk.

Great football managers like Paisley, Clough, Ferguson, Wenger never needed to freeze any one out.

They just created a real team ethic, focus and spirit.

I don’t agree. 
The first three managers would have dropped/frozen out/sold anyone that didn’t fit into the managers plans/ethos/culture.

Not sure Wenger was strong enough latterly hence Arsenal now a decade behind.

One bad influencer in a workplace can ruin it.

IF true Re Westwood & Hutchinson being difficult then I would hope our manager revived support from the chairman.

9 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

I don’t agree. 
The first three managers would have dropped/frozen out/sold anyone that didn’t fit into the managers plans/ethos/culture.

Not sure Wenger was strong enough latterly hence Arsenal now a decade behind.

One bad influencer in a workplace can ruin it.

IF true Re Westwood & Hutchinson being difficult then I would hope our manager revived support from the chairman.

IF Westwood had told Jack Charlton that if he didn't get picked for the first team he'd not sit on the bench Jack would have chinned him before showing him the door so would Ferguson. 

Edited by daveyboy66

On 01/03/2020 at 10:32, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

I'm trying to work out how he signed his first pro contract at Exeter in 2015 but previously played for Wolves joining Boro in 2013.

Is he a time lord?

No need to call me Lord,

and, err, dont know.

• Haha 1