I listened carefully

14 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Then why are you worried about his confidence if he's not good enough

I agree and have said that Lees should not be playing for months. But on the strength of the Charlton performance he deserved to keep the shirt yesterday rather than risking Iorfa who I assume went off in Brum due to a knock.?

Personally I don't want to see him in a Wednesday shirt again but Monk is running out of options when injuries bite.

People talk in circles on here. It's really not hard to comprehend.

Glad you agree that Iorfa and Borner are our best CB pairing.

So either Garry Monk does not agree with that assessment of our CBs.  Or he is happy to not start our best CB partnership together (Iorfa was fit and available to play yesterday).

Whatever the situation is, our problems at CB are just one of many issues that I think Monk has dealt with poorly.

6 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Ooh, a sensationalist soundbite. That's how to win on social media.

I am completely ambivalent about whether Monk is manager. But if you think recent results are solely down to his tactical decisions then I think that's unrealistic.

It's difficult to form an opinion on the job he's doing without more knowledge of what is really going on behind the scenes. He may well have contributed to that of course.

But once again we're getting into the familiar territory of the us against them warfare. Results are crap so even what the manager has for breakfast 'proves' how incompetent he is. And anyone who doesn't unashamedly grab a flaming torch ends up getting the same treatment.

Ooh a wordy word spew that says nothing.

I don’t think Monk is the whole problem - the real issue is higher up. But he’s making a right mess of what he’s supposed to be doing and deserves to be criticised. 

9 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Ooh, a sensationalist soundbite. That's how to win on social media.

I am completely ambivalent about whether Monk is manager. But if you think recent results are solely down to his tactical decisions then I think that's unrealistic.

It's difficult to form an opinion on the job he's doing without more knowledge of what is really going on behind the scenes. He may well have contributed to that of course.

But once again we're getting into the familiar territory of the us against them warfare. Results are crap so even what the manager has for breakfast 'proves' how incompetent he is. And anyone who doesn't unashamedly grab a flaming torch ends up getting the same treatment.

2 goals in 16 first halves at home suggests he is tactically inept regardless of what he does or doesn't say in interviews. Lee Bullen has a better record than him as manager this season. 

3 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Glad you agree that Iorfa and Borner are our best CB pairing.

So either Garry Monk does not agree with that assessment of our CBs.  Or he is happy to not start our best CB partnership together (Iorfa was fit and available to play yesterday).

Whatever the situation is, our problems at CB are just one of many issues that I think Monk has dealt with poorly.

Personally I think we've played players who aren't fully fit and been bitten by long term injuries as a result. It's been a theme since Carlos was here.

That has to stop. Maybe he thought one more game on the bench would be more sensible.

Iorfa / Borner partnership is without a doubt the best pairing we have but you have to agree Iorfas form also dropped off the last month or so. Maybe from injury or fatigue.

Lees had a reasonable game on Wednesday so I can see why he was picked to start yesterday.

I doubt Monk will make that mistake again.

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

2 goals in 16 first halves at home suggests he is tactically inept regardless of what he does or doesn't say in interviews. Lee Bullen has a better record than him as manager this season. 

Really?

Nothing to do with strikers being unable to put the ball in.

Wednesday 24 shots, 8 on target. 1 goal

Yesterday, 15 shots, 4 on target, 1 goal.

Creative more chances than the opposition is tactically inept?

I must have missed something.

4 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Really?

Talk me through the critical part of the game yesterday- the first half. How many clear cut chances did we create? Not shots on target or attempts but actual clear chances. For example Fletcher had a shot on target after a minute. It’ll be in your stats but it wasn’t even a half chance. 

Guest LittleG
46 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

He was going to drive him home and tuck him in as well. 

Don't know if you noticed but Monk was in his technical area most of the game.

Maybe Harris went back in , who knows.

That said Monk is on his own. He's not got any of his own support staff. He's working with the same faces who have been here for years. Who knows what sort of practices have been allowed to go on.

If discipline is an issue then the players won't like a ball breaker coming in disrupting their cosy existence and I think that might be part of the problem.

Professional pride of the players and the willingness to take criticism on the chin in order to improve to change the direction is a must.

Monk us taking plenty of criticism but the players are not immune to the same scrutiny.

Like I said before we have a collection of individual players not a team.

Look none of us know what's going on with Monk and the players so not going to speculate. I'm sure before he took the job he knew that he wouldn't be able to bring his own staff in. Some of the older players need moving on, some of the more recent signings aren't good enough. The players need to take responsibility but so does Monk for his tactics(or lack of), his team selections,  substitutions and so on. Listen ing to his interview did nothing to inspire me.

15 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Really?

How many of those 15 shots yesterday came when the game was already beyond us?

Wednesday night we should have scored more for sure but that we not a normal home performance? Do you really think we have played well at home but all that has been lacking is goals?

3 home games under Lee Bullen, 2 wins, 2 first half goals, 2 clean sheets. 16 league games at Hillsborough under Garry Monk - 2 first half goals.

Embarrassing. As someone pointed out in another thread, Derby County fans have seen their side score more first half goals in 1 trip to Hillsborough than Wednesday fans have seen in their last 16 visits! 

Why all this fuss about what Monk said after the match.? He is hardly likely to say  ' We were CRAP.Our Defenders can't defend. Our Midfield is non-existent.  Our Forwards don't know how to score goals.' is he?  But that's the truth!!!!!!

I am in no way supporting Monk, but before calling for the Manager's head, let's call for the ones who should carry the blame. The Players. For months now, they don't play the first 45 mins, then decide they 'might try'. And the biggest offenders are the 'names'. 

It may take several years , but GET RID of the lot and start a rebuild. 

17 hours ago, prowl said:

What do you expect him to say after that performance?

The first goal was a deflection, the other 2 were individual errors. He can lay into the players and that might appease the fans but a lot would say he's just deflecting the criticism from himself. We've been there before.

He's tried slamming the players for lack of effort, it didn't work. All he can do now is play nice with them and try to coax a few half decent efforts out of them until the end of the season then wave them goodbye.

He's stuck with them and they will probably cost him his job. They've got previous on that score.

3 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Stopped caring tbh.

If the players can’t be arsed, if the manager can’t be arsed, if the Chairman can’t be arsed, then neither can I.

Feck em all.

I'm a season ticket holder and didn't bother yesterday, decided to go for pre supergrass drinks instead. Certainly not going to the city match, going to Brentford away though but more for the craic. 

Our club is a shambles 

I recently changed jobs, took over managing a struggling business & the first thing I did was get a couple of trusted people in to support me. It’s hard to change the culture of a business by yourself, you need support. Monk needs his own coaching team in place imho.

1 minute ago, Yellowbelly said:

I recently changed jobs, took over managing a struggling business & the first thing I did was get a couple of trusted people in to support me. It’s hard to change the culture of a business by yourself, you need support. Monk needs his own coaching team in place imho.

The whole coaching staff needs a clear out

2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Wednesday night we should have scored more for sure but that we not a normal home performance? Do you really think we have played well at home but all that has been lacking is goals?

3 home games under Lee Bullen, 2 wins, 2 first half goals, 2 clean sheets. 16 league games at Hillsborough under Garry Monk - 2 first half goals.

Embarrassing. As someone pointed out in another thread, Derby County fans have seen their side score more first half goals in 1 trip to Hillsborough than Wednesday fans have seen in their last 16 visits! 

I can't remember any first half at home under Monk where we've 'gone for it'. His tactics always seem to be to sit back for most of the match then try and pinch it late on which allows other teams to get comfortable and waste time whilst we home fans get frustrated and get on the players backs. He can fart about changing personnel and formations all he likes but while ever our first thought is to pass sideways or backwards in an attempt to keep posession rather than try to impose ourselves on the opposition we will struggle. Yesterday's second goal came from a throw in in Derby's half which ended up back at the feet of Tom Lees, a player who isn't comfortable on the ball. Why not throw it forward, even if its only to gain a throw furfher up the field? Another example of trying to play football in the wrong areas with the wrong players just because of the current fashion of keeping possession at all costs. 

3 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

We haven't played well at home all season, even when we were 3rd. Without an in form Fletch scoring all our goals we'd have been as we are now.

Now Monk isn't blameless. But the players, Chansiri and backroom staff are all culpable.

Changing the manager without changing all of the above will be nothing more than a sticking plaster.

20 hours ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

... to Gary's post match interview.

What I heard was hopeless waffle.

God help us if we get a deduction. 

It but like the waffle on here then

Well said Davey_Wells:

"For me, I've tried optimism and its come right back to bite me on my backside. These players are limited in their ability and are consistently making the most inexcusable errors to cause our problems - but I think they are capable - I just dont think Monk has it in him to get the best out of them.

Unfortunately, while I'd love to think everything might improve given the chance I dont think he's showing he's the right man to get the best from Sheffield Wednesday going forward either."

What has Toxic Monk ever won I ask myself.  Nothing is the answer and I do not see that changing.

18 minutes ago, akbuk said:

It but like the waffle on here then

At least some people on here have ideas as to what we can do to improve. Monk sounded like a man who'd tried everything he could and didn't know what to do next. 

53 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

We haven't played well at home all season, even when we were 3rd. Without an in form Fletch scoring all our goals we'd have been as we are now.

Now Monk isn't blameless. But the players, Chansiri and backroom staff are all culpable.

Changing the manager without changing all of the above will be nothing more than a sticking plaster.

Completely agree. 2-3 weeks ago I'd have said changing manager now is pointless but the more games we waste the more it looks like we could do with a sticking plaster for the final few games. As it stands Lee Bullen was getting more out of this bunch than Monk has managed overall.