I listened carefully

4 minutes ago, debram said:

beats me but a good stepping stone would be warnock, he knows the ropes, has a proven record, will deffo keep us up and takes no poo , would be a good mentor for a successor.

Things are tough enough right now, no doubt he's been a good manager but that man would divide this club beyond belief, not to mention he's well past his sell by date.

Surely we can do better

Edited by happy bunny

1 minute ago, happy bunny said:

Things are tough enough right now, no doubt he's been a good manager but that man would divide this club beyond belief, not to mention he's well past his sell by date.

Surely we can do better

agree mate, ive had a few and desperate, sad its come to this.

2 hours ago, vulva said:

I’d like to think Monk kept them in the dressing room and tore strips off them at the end of the game.  

However,, FF was walking up past the Riverside Cafe at 5.10pm.  

I was thinking the same then saw Lee and Palmer walking over the South Stand bridge at 5.25pm with their hoods up hoping nobody recognised them.

3 hours ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

... to Gary's post match interview.

What I heard was hopeless waffle.

God help us if we get a deduction. 

I was happy he did not mention battle, freat once like his previous 5 interviews but I fear notice on Radio Sheffield he mentioned the deflected goal about 403 times.

These things happen in football the total capitulation afterward was his team and tactics.

Under Jos he changed the team every game and we struggled the first thing Bruce did was get experience into the team and play the same back 5, week in, week out and what happened we started winning games.

But I forget GM knows a winning dressing room I am just a very long suffering Wednesday fan.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Monk’s decision to play Lees today instead of starting Iorfa.

Was that the right choice?

Monk’s decision to play an out-of-form Harris today.  He’s just signed 3 new forwards.

Monk’s decision to select Bannan and Lee again; both playing 3 x 90 minutes in the space of 7 days.  Quite a lot of that time as a two-man central midfield.  Players need rest and recovery to get their best level of performance.

Lees - yes.  He redeemed himself on Wednesday night and had a decent game. Why would he drop him? He yanked him at half time so that was a positive. Doubt we'll see him again after that shambles of a performance.

Harris instead of the 3 new forwards. Yes. Ok. Two of the three new forwards are way off the pace in Wickham and Da Cruz. I've heard numerous rumbles of discontent about those two from the fans. Granted Windass could have started but he's probably not fully match fit either and would have faded if he'd started. He had a good second half  and will only improve 

Bannan and Lee. Who do you suggest instead of them? Joey and who?

People need to think a little bit more before ranting.

I'm finding it hard to stick up for him but...

I'm sure we will all agree football is a team game and that the key to success lies with a strong team and not one individual (Ronaldo, Messi, maradona for example are rare exceptions). 

So why has monk not been allowed to bring in him own coaching team? He's been handed the job of managing this group of players and coaches, most of which have been here longer than the faint remains of the Presto branding on the leppings lane stand. He's a young manager with a lot to learn surrounded by tired, defeated players and coaches who have never been able to live up to the expectations set upon them. He needs help. And he needs to be given the freedom to source it. 

Fans are losing (or have already lost) faith in him and it doesn't help when the man who employed him never seemed to have any in the first place by denying him this vital right.

Edited by poite

3 hours ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

... to Gary's post match interview.

What I heard was hopeless waffle.

God help us if we get a deduction. 

Same every week. Selects 3 or 4 buzz words and repeats for 5 mins.... Compound... One extreme to the other... Left ourself a mountain to climb... Individual errors.... Repeat x 5....said it before, his interviews could be done in 30 seconds. 

21 minutes ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Lees - yes.  He redeemed himself on Wednesday night and had a decent game. Why would he drop him? He yanked him at half time so that was a positive. Doubt we'll see him again after that shambles of a performance.

Harris instead of the 3 new forwards. Yes. Ok. Two of the three new forwards are way off the pace in Wickham and Da Cruz. I've heard numerous rumbles of discontent about those two from the fans. Granted Windass could have started but he's probably not fully match fit either and would have faded if he'd started. He had a good second half  and will only improve 

Bannan and Lee. Who do you suggest instead of them? Joey and who?

People need to think a little bit more before ranting.

Lees shouldn’t be starting games over Iorfa.

How is subbing off our club captain at HT a positive?  Is that good for the player’s confidence?  Are you actually being serious, or have I been whooshed?

Regarding Windass, the most effective way of getting him ‘match-fit’ is by starting him in matches.  Hardly rocket-science that.  Windass has been here a month and Monk has scarcely used him.

Rather than flogging Lee and Bannan for the full 270 minutes in 7 days, use the squad for alternatives.  Many of the teams in our division tend to go with a midfield 3 these days.  I don’t understand why we frequently don’t do this.

If the alternatives aren’t there (because he chose to freeze Hutchinson out), you have to question why Monk spunked all out transfer kitty on bringing in 3 forwards, rather than strengthening the centre midfield.

I accept that Monk is not the main reason that we are this plight.  But I’m amazed that some fans cannot see that he is part of the problem.

2 hours ago, Daz said:

The same players who finished the season pretty well last season and who were 3rd at Christmas?

2 goals at home in the last 6 home games, playing dull lifeless football and tactics which change so much they would baffle Einstein. 

But it’s nothing to do with the manager?

And the same manager who took them to 3rd at Christmas! I’m not saying Monk is a magician but the buck surly has to, at some point, stop with these players.

4 hours ago, 4evaowl said:

This has come up before. He says nothing of substance in these interviews. All sound bites. Poor interview by Adam Oxley too. Didn’t ask obvious questions about being too light in midfield in terms of numbers and personnel (first half) and why does he persevere with two out and out wide men that makes us too open.

because of how weak our central midfield is

I’m not sure what else we can do unless we go 4-3-3 with windass in the midfield 3? Because I can’t see pelupessy in a Wednesday shirt again 

3 hours ago, LittleG said:

We played ok for first 10 minutes, the remainder of the half we were dire. Playing a midfield 2 of Bannan and Lee was always going to lead us having problems in that area especially when the wide players don't tuck in to help; surely even Monk should realise this. We all know that we need a clear out but are you really that confident tbst Monk has the ability to do this because he's not convinced me. As to the question what are you expecting him to do; I would like to know what his style of play is; I would like him to show some tactical nous; I would like to see more motivation, I would like to see us not having to keep making early substitutions because of wrong team selections. I want to see more leadership from Monk instead of this "We all know what the issue is " attitude. I've no great affinity to the players or Monk, I want what's best for Wednesday. I want a good manager and I don't think we've got one.

Ok, maybe it should be performances based. If the players don't perform they get fined.

I doubt you're going to see much difference in playing style while the core of serial failures remain in the squad. Until Monk can bring in his own team nothing will change.

I'm not sure the players are up for it. As I left today after the final whistle, walking through the carpark I saw Kareem Harris sitting in his top of the range SUV watching something on the screen with a couple of others. He should have been in the dressing room getting the hair drier treatment.

2 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Lees shouldn’t be starting games over Iorfa.

How is subbing off our club captain at HT a positive?  Is that good for the player’s confidence?  Are you actually being serious, or have I been whooshed?

Regarding Windass, the most effective way of getting him ‘match-fit’ is by starting him in matches.  Hardly rocket-science that.  Windass has been here a month and Monk has scarcely used him.

Rather than flogging Lee and Bannan for the full 270 minutes in 7 days, use the squad for alternatives.  Many of the teams in our division tend to go with a midfield 3 these days.  I don’t understand why we frequently don’t do this.

If the alternatives aren’t there (because he chose to freeze Hutchinson out), you have to question why Monk spunked all out transfer kitty on bringing in 3 forwards, rather than strengthening the centre midfield.

I accept that Monk is not the main reason that we are this plight.  But I’m amazed that some fans cannot see that he is part of the problem.

So we shouldn't be starting our club captain?  Roger that

That's a confidence booster for him.

Contradictions all around.

Make your mind up.

I have sympathy for Monk, he took a risk taking on the job here when the problems we have are so obviously deeper rooted beyond the poor soul that has to manage us.

By all means give the pitch forked masses what they want and sack the cretin. If you miss that happen log back in around October time and you'll get a re-run albeit a different manager. 

Chansiri is the root cause of our problems, the sooner he's gone the brighter the prospects 

3 hours ago, goonan8 said:

So you think a deflected goal and two individual player errors for the the other two goals are Monk’s fault? Is it not blindingly obvious that some of these player who have been here for years are fundamentally flawed? They turn up for one game and go missing for the next, it feels like it’s been going on since the dawn of time!

But he keeps on playing them.

Game after game after game.

Even watching the Charlton game that Monk so lauded, the first half was an absolute bore. Players sauntering around, complete lack of urgency, zero threat, no energy, so predictable, lethargic, complete lack of desire to make a difference... awful.

Steven Fletcher comes on - absolute game changer.  Everyone realises this fella is a HUGE step ahead of the rest when it comes to desire - he single handedly dragged the whole team up two levels and everyone realised they were being shown up.  Crowd lifted, belief came in and we looked capable. 

We score, we win - THAT should have been played back to the players to show them up and the point hammered home to them that anything less is simply unacceptable.  If Monk really has the respect of the players there is absolutely no way on this earth that the first half against Derby would have happened.

Lees is an absolute wreck nowadays - he's been like that for weeks if not months. Utterly swamped with the pressure, asked to be a leader he so clearly isnt, so low on confidence. Its bloody obvious to me he isn't cut out for this club situation and this role - and needs to leave for his own good.  That might sound really harsh, but I just really feel for the fella at the moment as it's all spilling out onto the pitch week after week.

Bannan and Lee in midfield, for crying out loud.  It was so obvious these two would get bossed today - absolutely zero physical presence in there - and it seems without Luongo we need an extra body or we crumble hopelessly.  We dont even really have an extra capable body, that's half the problem... and Monk hasn't realised that.

These aren't the only issues but my word they're really simple ones - and the fact he doesn't see it really makes me concerned if he thinks he's the man to sort things out.

For me, I've tried optimism and its come right back to bite me on my backside. These players are limited in their ability and are consistently making the most inexcusable errors to cause our problems - but I think they are capable - I just dont think Monk has it in him to get the best out of them.

Unfortunately, while I'd love to think everything might improve given the chance I dont think he's showing he's the right man to get the best from Sheffield Wednesday going forward either.

• Like 1