I listened carefully

1 hour ago, prowl said:

What do you expect him to say after that performance?

The first goal was a deflection, the other 2 were individual errors. He can lay into the players and that might appease the fans but a lot would say he's just deflecting the criticism from himself. We've been there before.

He's tried slamming the players for lack of effort, it didn't work. All he can do now is play nice with them and try to coax a few half decent efforts out of them until the end of the season then wave them goodbye.

He's stuck with them and they will probably cost him his job. They've got previous on that score.

How can Monk be at blame for that, at least half of the squad are either spineless or not good enough. He needs to be given time to build his own team with out the distraction of those disruptive players. Think some of our fans think the answer to everything is sack the manager and pick Westwood and Hutch  , like that has worked well over the past few years. Team is stale needs makeover.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Harrysgame said:

How can Monk be at blame for that, at least half of the squad are either spineless or not good enough. He needs to be given time to build his own team with out the distraction of those disruptive players. Think some of our fans think the answer to everything is sack the manager and pick Westwood and Hutch  , like that has worked well over the past few years. Team is stale needs makeover.

Didn’t results pick up when we sacked a manager and Bruce was picking Hutch and Westwood?  It’s so bad now that I can’t remember 

1 hour ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

Totally agree. 

How about it looking like men against boys out there. 

Us struggling to get out of our half, making a team with shocking away form look like they were at home. 

Lucky they sat in 2nd half and made a game of it, I fear the scoreline would have been worse if Derby tried 2nd half. 

Truth is they didn't need to. 

Bang on.

I bet Monk is not getting them in for extra training tomorrow morning.

it’s all too comfortable and the lack of any kind of structure or consistency in the way we approach games exposes Monk’s weakness. There is no sign of any improvement so he either is clueless tactically or cannot motivate this team. Probably both. He has to go because week after week, performance after performance, it’s nothing but shambolic.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

I don't blame him. Try reading my post again.

I don't have a problem if he stays or goes. I'm in pretty much the same mind with most of the players. They've had their chance and most have failed so if they go I won't shed a tear, If the manager decides to keep one or two that's ok too.

We do need a clear out of most of the out of contract players just to cut the wage bill and freshen things up.

2 minutes ago, Daz said:

Bang on.

I bet Monk is not getting them in for extra training tomorrow morning.

it’s all too comfortable and the lack of any kind of structure or consistency in the way we approach games exposes Monk’s weakness. There is no sign of any improvement so he either is clueless tactically or cannot motivate this team. Probably both. He has to go because week after week, performance after performance, it’s nothing but shambolic.

I can all handle poor games, disappointments, bad luck and the like. 

What I can't handle is the lack of improvement, progression or desire and I'm afraid all of this reflects very poorly on Gary's ability as a manger. 

IMHO he knows he's done here, he's just holding out for the golden handshake. 

36 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

I have to admit, he's run out of lives now.

He said the players 'just needed a win'

They got that. In a wonderful fashion that should've led to a revival of confidence if that was what was missing.

We've now capitulated again - for what seems like the umpteenth time.

It's so poor, I just dont know what's best - him staying or going - sounds like half the players are in discussions for new contracts so nothing is going to change there.

The players he has signed are not who he wants to start with - a whole big waste of everyone's time.

Derby were there for the taking today - and we've messed up royally and it's all just a bit embarrassing now.

Bad times, a real shame - it's like Wednesday night never happened at all.

Amended.

Guest LittleG
47 minutes ago, the monk said:

I got the impression it was a ",read between the f.ookin lines " interview 

A bloke who cant wait for the season to end and rebuild 

I have no confidence in his ability to rebuild.

47 minutes ago, the monk said:

I got the impression it was a ",read between the f.ookin lines " interview 

A bloke who cant wait for the season to end and rebuild 

I got the impression that Monk just didn’t know what to say and kept repeating meaningless gibberish.

He knows he’s failing and really can’t figure out what to do next. A sure sign of a man reaching the end of his capacity to cope.
I fully understand he’s playing the hand he’s been dealt, but he really isn’t playing it well.

Starting with the defence, it’s been clear for a year now that Tom Lees is in decline. He was never a good passer of the ball but this has got worse affecting his confidence such that he dwells on the ball too often. Iorfa has looked uncertain at times but has the pace and power to get himself out of trouble, can run forwards with the ball and hit a pass too. Key to a strong defence is a settled back four. Pair up Iorfa and Borner and stick with it.

The keeper situation is a mess and Dawson needs a break. Monk has robbed himself of the ability to give him one.

Midfield is and has been lightweight for four seasons. I don’t advocate bringing Hutchinson back in. He  plays too deep and collects too many bookings and suspensions . Bannan and Lee no longer have the energy to play regularly at anywhere near their past levels. Windass was a revelation today and should have started. He runs freely and has an eye for goal. Pair him with Luongo as soon as possible.

Wickham showed signs of being a little sharper and willing to run today but is a long way off full match fitness. We have little alternative but to persevere with Fletcher as much as possible with Nuhiu as late sub .

Basic stuff that Monk seems to be losing sight of..

Guest LittleG
30 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

I think we all agree that the squad needs re-building, unfortunately I've seen nothing in Monks management skills to suggest he has the nous to do this.

2 hours ago, BIG D said:

He repeated the same old sh ite over and over and over again. Dull

He repeats the same old rubbish in terms of what he puts out onto the pitch tactically. 

The amount of times he has had to make a tactical substitution at half-time says a lot about how well his planning and preparation for games works.

42 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

It was working OK under Bruce.

Of course the squad needs an overhaul but Monk is not the man to do that, his football is as awful to see as the results it yields. 

45 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Monk mentioned several times about the deflection for the first goal and that individual mistakes are costing us.

So everyone else’s fault but his then.

Not one comment from Monk about how his hopeless tactics cost us yet another match.  No apologies, or acknowledgement that 99.9% of the fans stuck to supporting the team, despite the garbage we have been served up since he came in.

Just excuses.

What tactics were hopeless today?

In fact tell me how the tactics were flawed today.  I thought we started quite rigid and compact first half, happy to let them have it in their half.

He started 4-4-2. We weren't actually playing that badly, but a dodgy deflection and two half arsed gift wrapped errors left us 3-0 down

He then changed formation second half to three at the back 3-5-2. He had the guts to yank the team captain.

We huffed and puffed in a half arsed way, with only Windass looking like he wanted it.

There comes a time when the players have to take responsibility. They didn't for most of the game today.

The Monk haters aren't listening to what he is saying. He's repeatedly saying that we have underlying problems with the playing staff at this club. He'll have told them directly because I get the impression he is unafraid of telling it like it is. Some haven't taken it well. But it doesn't mean he's wrong.

We have a collection of players of varying ability, many crocks, many past it. We don't have a team or a unit. Ask Bully. He'll tell you. He's been there all along. Seen it all. He almost had a nervous breakdown last time he was caretaker.

How is that Monks fault?

How can he respond on match day if the players have trained well and done everything asked of them all week get on the pitch and do the opposite.

Better still what are you expecting him to do?

• Thanks 3

I apologise in advance for commenting here having not listened to the “wise words” of St Gary of Monk. However, he doesn’t appear to be the ‘sharpest tool in the box’ to me, I get the feeling that the players have seen through him and realise he hasn’t really got a clue. A bit like when the supply teacher goes in and tries to rule the roost over a class of battle hardened Year 11’s, it’s just not gonna happen! In reality I wonder if Hutch and Westwood have been forthright and honest in their assessment of him to his face and as a result the rest of the squad don’t see the point. He very much looks like a lost soul, especially during the goal celebrations on Wednesday night...if he were a dog, you’d put him out of his misery. Come on Chansiri, do the reyt thing...let the axe fall.

2 hours ago, debram said:

He just cant get it right and its no coincidence that most of our performances under him have been way below par, lacking commitment and the guts for a battle, no excuses gary.

So you think a deflected goal and two individual player errors for the the other two goals are Monk’s fault? Is it not blindingly obvious that some of these player who have been here for years are fundamentally flawed? They turn up for one game and go missing for the next, it feels like it’s been going on since the dawn of time!

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

That could be one of the issues behind the scenes 

If they're worried about this they should be doing everything to make sure they get enough points to mitigate for a deduction causing relegation

Right now we seem to have given up

57 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Didn’t results pick up when we sacked a manager and Bruce was picking Hutch and Westwood?  It’s so bad now that I can’t remember 

Just think it's worth sticking with a manager who hasn't he chance to build a team with their own choices for players.. It's about the only thing we have not tried.