FAO the Dawson Supporters

3 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

A couple of posters on here who go to the under 23 games say he's been struggling at that level.

I can back that up. Add to that the howlers at first team level when he was called upon (QPR and Middlesbrough away spring to mind)

2 minutes ago, mark77 said:

I can back that up. Add to that the howlers at first team level when he was called upon (QPR and Middlesbrough away spring to mind)

Wildsmith is so far from the required standard it’s not even funny.

Yet here we are with him being the only competition for a wretchedly out of form #1

Just had a quick gander at the shots on target vs goals since Boxing Day

58 shots on target

23 goals conceded

No wonder we haven’t been winning many games if we’ve been conceding from nearly 50% of the shots on target.

It’s bad enough having to score 3 to win, but then throw in the fact that the opposites only need 4 shots on target to get their 2 goals and it’s a recipe for disaster.

All this talk of Dawson’s kicking was distracting us from the main issue. He’s just not saving enough shots.

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

58 shots on target

23 goals conceded

No wonder we haven’t been winning many games if we’ve been conceding from nearly 50% of the shots on target.

It’s bad enough having to score 3 to win, but then throw in the fact that the opposites only need 4 shots on target to get their 2 goals and it’s a recipe for disaster.

All this talk of Dawson’s kicking was distracting us from the main issue. He’s just not saving enough shots.

Might help if the defence stopped some of the shots but you seem to an agenda and will overlook that if you can have a dig at Dawson.

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Might help if the defence stopped some of the shots but you seem to an agenda and will overlook that if you can have a dig at Dawson.

Well actually I’m glad you mention that...because ironically the defense seem to be actually restricting the opposite to very few shots on target per game

Unfortunately they convert nearly half of them. 

Take your blinkers off.

9 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

58 shots on target

23 goals conceded

Depends on the quality of shots on target. Those stats can be misleading. 

Derby scored 75% of their shots on target today, but none of them could be saved...

Defensively we are making too many individual mistakes that are costing us goals.

Just now, mark77 said:

Depends on the quality of shots on target. Those stats can be misleading. 

Derby scored 75% of their shots on target today, but none of them could be saved...

Defensively we are making too many individual mistakes that are costing us goals.

Apart from the 2nd one which should have been saved.

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

I thought it was pretty straightforward that the rate at which a team concedes comes down to a lot more factors than who happens to be in the goal, such as the quality of rest of your team relative to the opponents for example. 

Perhaps you should stick to shots per goal painting by numbers?

So statistics are not a great base for trying to make this point but are seemingly OK when you are trying to make a point about Hutchinson?

The facts are that since Christmas we have conceded far too many goals. The defenders have been at fault plenty of times - and have been dropped at various times as a result. However, we aren't conceding a huge number of shots on target per game but the goalkeeper is letting 40% of those shots go past him, you can't ignore stats like that and his overall performances are not up to the standard he set pre-Christmas.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, mark77 said:

Not really. It was hard and low, the fact he got a hand to it gives you that impression. Tom Lees is squarely to blame for that one...

Dawson will 100% be disappointed he didn’t keep it out.

Lees will also be gutted it’s his fault it even got to that point

Just because one player made a rick doesn’t mean all others are absolved from blame

Edited by McRightSide

2 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Dawson will 100% be disappointed he didn’t keep it out.

Lees will also be gutted it’s his fault it even got to that point

Just because one player made a rick doesn’t mean all others are absolved from blame

My point is quality of shots on target. If you're going to expose your keeper to clear shots on goal your goal to shot ratio is going to be higher (as is happening now due to poor defending).

If you defend better as a team and restrict shots on goal to longer range your ratio is going to look better.

Stats can tell lots of stories. The eyes don't lie. As a team we are making terrible individual errors game after game and it's losing us games. Until we cut the errors out we'll continue to concede. Look at the 2nd half. Dawson was a spectator because we defended better as a team and cut out the errors.

4 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Well actually I’m glad you mention that...because ironically the defense seem to be actually restricting the opposite to very few shots on target per game

Unfortunately they convert nearly half of them. 

Take your blinkers off.

I don't have any blinkers to take off, there you go again making claims you can't back up.  

Westwood would have made no or little difference to the amount of goals scored as much as I like Westwood (and I would be happy with him in goal) he has not had his best season and made more errors this season than at any time whilst he has been at Hillsborough. 

The goalkeeper is not the problem we have a midfield which lacks strength and easily gets over run, which in turn puts pressure on the defence. The defence has gone from one of the tightest in the league before Christmas to one of the weakest.

To put the blame on the shoulders of one player to me seems very short sighted and overlooks the serious problems we have elsewhere.

Just now, mark77 said:

My point is quality of shots on target. If you're going to expose your keeper to clear shots on goal your goal to shot ratio is going to be higher (as is happening now due to poor defending).

If you defend better as a team and restrict shots on goal to longer range your ratio is going to look better.

Stats can tell lots of stories. The eyes don't lie. As a team we are making terrible individual errors game after game and it's losing us games. Until we cut the errors out we'll continue to concede. Look at the 2nd half. Dawson was a spectator because we defended better as a team and cut out the errors.

I know what you are saying

What I’m saying is that a lot of them were chances that should have been saved

Additionally, statistically hes underperforming  

I don't have any blinkers to take off, there you go again making claims you can't back up.  

Westwood would have made no or little difference to the amount of goals scored as much as I like Westwood (and I would be happy with him in goal) he has not had his best season and made more errors this season than at any time whilst he has been at Hillsborough. 

The goalkeeper is not the problem we have a midfield which lacks strength and easily gets over run, which in turn puts pressure on the defence. The defence has gone from one of the tightest in the league before Christmas to one of the weakest.

To put the blame on the shoulders of one player to me seems very short sighted and overlooks the serious problems we have elsewhere.

Similar to when you said I was the self-proclaimed footballing expert that knew nothing in another thread.

People in glass houses...

Edit: what I also don’t understand is why people like you can’t understand I’m only talking about Dawson since this is a Dawson thread.

See other threads for my other views on other players

Edited by McRightSide

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Nobody is blaming 1 player. the CB's have all been dropped at some point recently as a result of their abject form.

As you say, Westwood did make a few errors earlier in the season - he lost his place. Since Christmas we have conceded 24 goals in 13 games and the goalkeeper hasn't covered himself in glory in these games in terms of his overall performances. Time for a change.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Nobody is blaming 1 player. the CB's have all been dropped at some point recently as a result of their abject form.

As you say, Westwood did make a few errors earlier in the season - he lost his place. Since Christmas we have conceded 24 goals in 13 games and the goalkeeper hasn't covered himself in glory in these games in terms of his overall performances. Time for a change.

Bang on...and Dawson has made a few more errors that Westwood ever did.

2 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Similar to when you said I was the self-proclaimed footballing expert that knew nothing in another thread.

People in glass houses...

Edit: what I also don’t understand is why people like you can’t understand I’m only talking about Dawson since this is a Dawson thread.

See other threads for my other views on other players

I stand by that statement and have read plenty of your opinions in MOM threads, which highlights your poor judgement of your footballing  'expertise'

9 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

My point is is that whoever is in the net the overall outcome would be the same.  The problem is not the goalkeeper it lays elsewhere.

My point is is that whoever is in the net the overall outcome would be the same.  The problem is not the goalkeeper it lays elsewhere.

So you are saying his form hasn't dipped and he is performing just as well as he did pre-Christmas?

He is a contributing factor to our poor form.