FAO the Dawson Supporters

Just now, Theboylangers said:

And the record since then?

Just for balance. 

We all know what has happened lately. But it can't be claimed that the change to Dawson made us woeful when the statistics actually show the opposite for quite a while. Whatever the differences are between early December and now, they are not all the fault of the goalkeeper and those indulging in a vindictive witch hunt need to get a bit more perspective.

7 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Of all the problems at the club right now, the goalkeeper situation probably ranks around 324th.

Actually I’d say #1 problem is conceding 2 goals a game.

The goalkeeper needs to be judged on those stats.

Once again, Dawson has a long spell starting and we end up back conceding 2 goals a game.

Against awful teams for the most part too...

No coincidence.

We need a new keeper.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Northampton Owl said:

The reason our defence was better under Bruce is all down to Westwood. Dawson doesn't control his defence. As a shot stopper and distributor hes ok but he has no authority over the 4 guys at the back. Bring back Kw before our season goes down the pan

His shot stopping has gone down the pan now.

Conceding a very high shots to goals %

Guest Theboylangers
1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

We all know what has happened lately. But it can't be claimed that the change to Dawson made us woeful when the statistics actually show the opposite for quite a while. Whatever the differences are between early December and now, they are not all the fault of the goalkeeper and those indulging in a vindictive witch hunt need to get a bit more perspective.

So we can use stats when it suits then? 

There's no witch hunt from me here. From what I can see, the last time we gave Dawson a run of games under Jos, we started to concede lots of goals.

We've now given him a long run of games under Monk and we are conceding lots of goals.

It might be coincidence, it might not but I'm adding 2+2 together and getting 4. 

2 minutes ago, Theboylangers said:

So we can use stats when it suits then? 

There's no witch hunt from me here. From what I can see, the last time we gave Dawson a run of games under Jos, we started to concede lots of goals.

We've now given him a long run of games under Monk and we are conceding lots of goals.

It might be coincidence, it might not but I'm adding 2+2 together and getting 4. 

It's amazing that some seem oblivious to the fact that a goalkeeper does not dictate the number of goals an opponent scored all by himself. We're conceding because we are lousy in all areas of the pitch. Dawson has not been playing well, that is clear. But the idea that our recent woes can be solved just by replacing him (and his understudy is struggling in the under 23s according to reports from those who watch them) is fantasy land. We're all vexed at our collapse in form but blaming one guy is unrealistic and frankly, quite childish.

Dawson Is a good shot stopper, that’s about as far as it goes. He’s good at the most basic attribute a goalkeeper should possess.

I’ve said it before on here, the goalkeeper is a vital part of any defence, the vision a goalkeeper has, by far and away exceeds any of his defenders. He has to tell them where the runners are etc. Dawson never seems to communicate. If he does, it’s certainly isn’t working!

He’s positionally poor. His kicking represents that of a pre-pubescent teenage boy. It’s a shame Monk continues to hang him out to dry, much like Dros did. It’s not the lads fault he’s limited, he’s definitely a capable number 2 but, no other side in this division would have him as a number 1. It’s as simple as that really.

3 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Why?

Do you not think conceding 2 goals a game is a major problem?

Of course it is. But there's more to it than the bloke between the posts. Before Dawson came in apparently for keeps, Westwood had conceded 2 in each of the previous three games. The collapse in form of the central defenders, the modest talent at full back and our lack of a commanding presence in midfield are also big factors. Winning games is also a problem when you can't score, and we weren't all that prolific before Fletcher's injury.

3 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Do you not think that’s one of the core stats a keeper should be judged on? You know, keeping the ball out of the net

Anyone who judges any player just on the numbers is a lost cause. Until recently, Dawson's statistics were slightly better than Westwood's. Have either of them transformed into different players recently? I also suspect some of the factors are unknown outside of the dressing room.

Guest Theboylangers
3 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

It's amazing that some seem oblivious to the fact that a goalkeeper does not dictate the number of goals an opponent scored all by himself. We're conceding because we are lousy in all areas of the pitch. Dawson has not been playing well, that is clear. But the idea that our recent woes can be solved just by replacing him (and his understudy is struggling in the under 23s according to reports from those who watch them) is fantasy land. We're all vexed at our collapse in form but blaming one guy is unrealistic and frankly, quite childish.

Unrealistic blaming one player I agree.

But the point is the number of goals conceded whilst Dawson has been established as number 1. 

Whilst I agree that the rest of the team is responsible for any goals conceded, my worry is the the fact that history seems to be repeating itself in that when Dawson is in the net, the amount of goals we let in seems to increase.

As I said, coincidence, possibly. But certainly something that Monk needs to keep a very close eye on. 

50 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

How long before you realise a keeper that concedes 2 goals a game most of the the time me just isn’t good enough?

I don’t support individuals, I support Sheffield Wednesday and try not to look for scapegoats when the fault for this current shambles lies with players, manager and owner.  You couldn’t even wait until the end of the game before having a pop, which is a bit poor in my book.