Has Rooney played at Hillsborough before?

8 hours ago, torryowl said:

I doubt that the derby fans will be respecting out best player ……...

I doubt they will be booing Fletcher. I don't think we should applaud him or anything it just strikes me as weird when fans boo an opposing player that has no history with the club. Ex blades yes, people who have tried to cheat us yes. But it's a big tinpot to randomly boo Rooney.

@Steelman I don't know how you can watch the sport is somebody like Rooney winds you up so much.

36 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

Vastly overrated, another product of the Sky TV hype machine. Was never in the same class as the likes of Messi and Ronaldo. 

So go on then, how many were / are?   If those two are the measure of a great player then only a handful could ever be regarded as such.  An outstanding player who came up a little short when compared with the very best, but still a class act on the pitch.

Top player and I for one will be delighted to see him grace the hallowed Hillsborough turf and that’s despite seeing him play for England on over 30 occasions.

Dont give two hoots how he lived his life, his wife forgave him and it certainly had no impact on me or my family.

One of England’s finest who I believe would and could still play in the Premier League.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Strange post. England’s record goal scorer and an absolutely top professional who at his peak was one of the best. 

Nowt to do with Rooney really but that is a misleading stat. Of course it is technically correct in terms of numbers but modern international strikers will score more goals almost by default because of the political changes in the world. The USSR and Yugoslavia that were strong collectively in footballing terms have been broken up creating cannon fodder satellite nations allowing the more recent England players to fill their boots. A luxury that their predecessors didn't have the advantage of skewing the scoring records.

6 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Nowt to do with Rooney really but that is a misleading stat. Of course it is technically correct in terms of numbers but modern international strikers will score more goals almost by default because of the political changes in the world. The USSR and Yugoslavia that were strong collectively in footballing terms have been broken up creating cannon fodder satellite nations allowing the more recent England players to fill their boots. A luxury that their predecessors didn't have the advantage of skewing the scoring records.

Wasn't the Home Internationals a cannon fodder competition as well? 

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

Wasn't the Home Internationals a cannon fodder competition as well? 

I would say not as the games were generally played with intense rivalry whilst the multitude of European and World Cup qualifiers that are played against countries like Macedonia and Armenia are played almost like practice strolls on the way to the real thing namely the tournament when it begins. Such nations know that they have no real chance of qualification and damage limitation is the only thing they have to aim for. Thus Harry Kane and Sterling can rattle up impressive scoring records against cannon fodder opposition. And there are now so many such nations in UEFA competitions.

7 hours ago, mozzy85 said:

In qualifiers? Only tournament (Finals) he actually performed at was 2004. 

Up to recently hardly any English footballer has performed at any top tournament going back to Euro '96.

Got to say, I'm looking forward to seeing the lad play, have a decent game but go home empty handed.

Can't understand those with the pent up anger - but, each to their own.

18 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

On the hand nations like the Dutch,Norway,Denmark didn't have professional  football until the 60sand were more or less cannon fodder...even Portugal were a walk over as I think we beat them 10-0.

23 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

I would say not as the games were generally played with intense rivalry whilst the multitude of European and World Cup qualifiers that are played against countries like Macedonia and Armenia are played almost like practice strolls on the way to the real thing namely the tournament when it begins. Such nations know that they have no real chance of qualification and damage limitation is the only thing they have to aim for. Thus Harry Kane and Sterling can rattle up impressive scoring records against cannon fodder opposition. And there are now so many such nations in UEFA competitions.

You can have games which have both, intense rivalry and still have that cannon fodder aspect.

I do take your point about the smaller countries but a much smaller country showed us the exit doors in the last World Cup.

Always very difficult to compare teams/players from different eras would be good if they could work out some formula to do so. A very subjective area.

Edited by Inspector Lestrade

2 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

Vastly overrated, another product of the Sky TV hype machine. Was never in the same class as the likes of Messi and Ronaldo. 

How is he overrated? 

I’ve never heard any one comparing him to Ronaldo and Messi, and he’s never won individual awards that they were up for too. 

In my personal experience I’ve found it’s people who have a hatred for Man Utd that feel Rooney wasn’t a good player. No doubt if he’d played for Man City with the same attitude those people would be calling him a ladddd 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

Strange way to talk about England’s record goal scorer and someone who has won everything there is to win in club football.

10 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Strange post. England’s record goal scorer and an absolutely top professional who at his peak was one of the best. 

I don't get these posts to be honest, you were both replying to someone attacking his character. Football achievements shouldn't have even the slightest thing to do with what you think of him as a person. If he's a d!ck, he's a d!ck.

(I don't actually know if he is a d!ick or not and have no opinion either way. He doesn't play for us so I don't care.)

1 hour ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Think one of people’s problems with Rooney is that he never delivered for England in tournaments after 2004.

He was very good in those 3/4 games - and delivered on other occasions for England and Man U for years after.

Pretty much stayed fit; particularly for someone who came into the game at a very early age. He was big for a 17/18 year old and held is own. We now seem to have to wait until someone's' 23 before they're considered for first team action. 

Not sure how effective he's been at Derby, but commercially he have brought in a few bob.

1 hour ago, Finney on the Wing said:

Up to recently hardly any English footballer has performed at any top tournament going back to Euro '96.

Got to say, I'm looking forward to seeing the lad play, have a decent game but go home empty handed.

Can't understand those with the pent up anger - but, each to their own.

I agree, love to see the best players play isn't that part of football?  Even though I have an irrational hatred of Man Utd some of their players who I have seen against Wednesday have been amazing and makes it all the more sweeter when we beat them.

Norman Whiteside always stood out for me, would have improved any team at that time. He seemed to have everything apart from real speed cannot see why fans can't appreciate other teams players (not sheff united obviously).  

When everyone turned up to watch Jurgen Klinsmann for Spurs and he didn't disappoint why wouldn't you be happy to see such quality? 

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

I agree, love to see the best players play isn't that part of football?  Even though I have an irrational hatred of Man Utd some of their players who I have seen against Wednesday have been amazing and makes it all the more sweeter when we beat them.

Norman Whiteside always stood out for me, would have improved any team at that time. He seemed to have everything apart from real speed cannot see why fans can't appreciate other teams players (not sheff united obviously).  

When everyone turned up to watch Jurgen Klinsmann for Spurs and he didn't disappoint why wouldn't you be happy to see such quality? 

Klinssman disappointed me. He scored. I was there to watch Wednesday.