Waldock signs new Owls contract

36 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

More regular watchers (O, Brien ? ) might give a better guide but the few times i have seen him he has looked decent.

Plays as a holding midfielder, tidy on the ball and certainly not afraid of putting a challenge in............even allowing for not knowing how a kid will react on first team duty i have been saying for a while that he deserves a chance in place of Pelupessy.

Cheers mate, hopefully he will progress to the first team. 

51 minutes ago, room0035 said:

To compare Alexander Arnold at Liverpool is just 21, Stobbs in 22 - he really should be in the first team if he is every going to make it and I just don't see it, not every footballer makes it, some have to drop down the leagues or develop later I just think our whole youth set up is hope for the best rather than an action plan to produce future first team players.

Ermmm..... AA is a tad different. Hence he plays for Liverpool and is arguably one of the best RBs in the world already

4 minutes ago, torres said:

The huge problem is that under 23 football is so weak you don't really know how they will do until you chuck them in at the deep end for 5 - 10 matches 

Managers are reluctant to do that for numerous reasons so you are in a catch 22.

And with no proper mens reserve football this is where we'll works out loan arrangements can be so useful.

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

And with no proper mens reserve football this is where we'll works out loan arrangements can be so useful.

Totally agree.

Kirby will have learnt more in a month on loan at Macclesfield than he would playing 2 years in the u23's 

Equally Wednesday will have learnt much more about him (or should have done)

A year at most in the u23's then we should be actively looking at clubs for these kids 

At 21 you should be part of the clubs first team plans or elsewhere 

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Liam Waldock has extended his stay at his boyhood club, signing a new deal with the Owls until 2021.

The central midfielder joined SWFC at just eight-years-old and has been in excellent form for Wednesday’s Under-23s this season, often captaining the side.

The 19-year-old said: “I’m very happy.

“I’ve been a Wednesday fan since I was a kid, so to sign a new deal is a great feeling.

Liam-Waldock_Colchester.jpg

“My mum and dad are very happy, they are both Wednesday fans and I know they are proud of me, this is a great feeling for all of us.

“It’s been a great journey since I first joined. I think I’ve progressed well this season, playing regularly for the Under-23s and I’ve been captain a few times.

“It’s about consistency, playing well in every game and I think I’ve done that this season. The coaches have told me I’ve done well so I just need to keep going."

Waldock travelled with the first team squad when Wednesday faced Brighton in the FA Cup in January, and the midfielder enjoyed the experience.

Waldock_Forest_Under-23s.jpg

He added: “It was a great feeling! We went on the plane which was weird because I’m just used to going on the coach!

“Being around the first team, eating with them and sharing a changing room with them was an unreal feeling.

“The manager gives you a chance and whenever I train with them I have to show him what I’m all about, and hopefully my chance comes.”

Didn't know Fletch was a ref!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Burnsie said:

Ermmm..... AA is a tad different. Hence he plays for Liverpool and is arguably one of the best RBs in the world already

What I am saying is at 22 you should still not be playing for the kids team you should be first team or out on loan gaining experience.

Stobbs just does not look like he will make it with us and a fresh start elsewhere will be the best thing for him.

3 hours ago, room0035 said:

Jack Stobbs the perfect example been at the club too long won't make it in the first team, had 2 or 3 goes on loan and either get injured or does not play, now back with the under 23's taking up a place of another player who may well progress into our first team plans.

To compare Alexander Arnold at Liverpool is just 21, Stobbs in 22 - he really should be in the first team if he is every going to make it and I just don't see it, not every footballer makes it, some have to drop down the leagues or develop later I just think our whole youth set up is hope for the best rather than an action plan to produce future first team players.

For me the whole coaching staff at every level in the club needs looking at, a few years back up to under 18's we were progressing really well, but after that nothing and certainly no players making it to the first team other than the lad we bought in from Wimbledon.

Jack Stobbs was 23 yesterday which makes it sound even worse that he has never made it as a first team player before now.  He isn't even starting for the U23s now.  Since he came back there have been 5 games and he has been sub for 4 of them. Certain he wil be released in the Summer. Look at his career record,6 years since his debut.A lot of 0's there!

Appearances and goals by club, season and competition
Club Season League FA Cup League Cup Other Total
Division Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals Apps Goals
Sheffield Wednesday 2013–14[14] Championship 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0
2014–15[15] Championship 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2015–16[16] Championship 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0
2016–17[17] Championship 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2017–18[18] Championship 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 0
2018–19[19] Championship 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0
2019–20[20] Championship 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Total 5 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 6 0
Port Vale (loan) 2017–18[18] League Two 5 0 1 0 0 0 2[a] 0 8 0
Livingston (loan) 2019–20[20] Scottish Premiership 4 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 1
Career total 14 1 1 0 0 0 2 0 17 1

At first glance thought it said Warnock signs contract, at this moment in time wish it was him cause were going nowhere under Monk, maybe the drink is starting to talk who knows, and well done to the lad Waldock, all the best for the future.