Waldock signs new Owls contract

28 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Some will genuinely think that way!

On the other hand -  This lad was once given a vote as "the best young footballer to come from Sheffield" by non other than Brian the bl##e on Radio Sheff.

Its a funny old world Saint.:rolleyes: 

• Haha 1

It's always seemed a bit weird to me how we can have younger teams winning this cup and that league yet very few of the individual players end up playing first team football at decent level. I always thought that Matt Penney looked a way better all round player than the rest of the players around him, including George Hirst, but he is only just getting a few more first team games, off on loan to a German club, but he is in his last year with us so why are we not hearing more about what is going to happen to him in the summer? Its all very well reading that old men like Fletcher, might be offered a new contract in the summer, but what about the future of our club? When are we going to start bringing these players through? Do we actually have to go down a division before we start bringing these players through, or is there a case for one or two of them actually getting a game here or there? I really do think that the younger players should be playing first team football at some level or another once they get to between 19 and 22 years of age, otherwise they are just never going to be ready. 

46 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Is he a decent prospect? 

Don't see many u23 games. 

More regular watchers (O, Brien ? ) might give a better guide but the few times i have seen him he has looked decent.

Plays as a holding midfielder, tidy on the ball and certainly not afraid of putting a challenge in............even allowing for not knowing how a kid will react on first team duty i have been saying for a while that he deserves a chance in place of Pelupessy.

Edited by sheriwozgod

Always like to see the development players progress but would have made that much difference to offer him a two year deal - he basically got a deal to the end of next season, lets say he breaks into the first team next year we will lose him for nothing in the summer if he get his head turned by more money or a bigger team.

I know not all the kids will make it but one year deals just seem a bit short sighted, it not like he is not £20,000 a week or something.

7 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Hopefully. Always seems such a waste to have people at the club into there 20's then release them.

Jack Stobbs the perfect example been at the club too long won't make it in the first team, had 2 or 3 goes on loan and either get injured or does not play, now back with the under 23's taking up a place of another player who may well progress into our first team plans.

To compare Alexander Arnold at Liverpool is just 21, Stobbs in 22 - he really should be in the first team if he is every going to make it and I just don't see it, not every footballer makes it, some have to drop down the leagues or develop later I just think our whole youth set up is hope for the best rather than an action plan to produce future first team players.

For me the whole coaching staff at every level in the club needs looking at, a few years back up to under 18's we were progressing really well, but after that nothing and certainly no players making it to the first team other than the lad we bought in from Wimbledon.

Edited by room0035

6 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Always like to see the development players progress but would have made that much difference to offer him a two year deal - he basically got a deal to the end of next season, lets say he breaks into the first team next year we will lose him for nothing in the summer if he get his head turned by more money or a bigger team.

I know not all the kids will make it but one year deals just seem a bit short sighted, it not like he is not £20,000 a week or something.

I'd imagine we give ourselves the option to extend these deals

... and that goes for Penney too   :mellow: