Fletcher New Deal?

22 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Don’t think any other clubs that pay ridiculous wages would take him on.. Considering we pay some of the hours highest wages in this division; where else would he want to go?

It’s spelt W H O R E S and anyway that’s nothing but a malicious rumour. 

Might explain recent form though. 

Edited by Holmowl

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Why are you taking into account what he did from 2009 to 2016 against Ferdinand, Terry, Caragher and Gallas? In his 4 seasons with us he has scored at a very decent rate which is improving rather than deteriorating. 

I dont think we should pin all our hopes on Fletcher next season, is what I was getting at. 

15 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

That's a risk we will have to take

I'm guessing he won't be happy with just a one year deal, he'll be looking for 2 years

In all seriousness, we can't afford that, not unless he takes a massive cut

If we do give in to him, and he gets injured

Well we've been down this road too many times

I like Fletcher, but we could sign two or three premiership youngsters for the same money

It's a no brainer for me, pay cut or thanks for the memories

I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiments, but I think you're totally ignoring the cost to replace him.

By getting rid of Fletcher, we're discarding a player who scores 30% of our goals, and is on the end of nearly 25% of the chances we create...and that's despite him missing two months of the season through injury.

Where do you suggest we look to replace that phenomenal contribution? Especially considering that, in all likelihood, we'll have lost Wickham, Windass, Winnall, Nuhiu and Da Cruz (hopefully Rhodes) from the squad....most that will need replacing.

Premiership youngsters on loan? With wage contribution equal to Fletchers plus a loan fee (and potential penalties for lack of game time). 

Up and coming strikers from League One or below? Say, for example, Ivan Toney, a player that'll cost upwards of £8m.

Any free transfers worth their salt won't come cheap, wage-wise, because they'll be subject to intense competition for their signature.

Of course, there'll be an element of risk with re-signing a 32 year old. But, I just think, given the huge changes the squad will be going through, it's probably a risk worth taking. But I'd absolutely look to offer him a longer deal, with a reduction in wages. But Fletcher's appearance record stacks up pretty well...in the last two seasons, he's only missed the last two months through injury. He played 40 Championship game last season, and is on course to play in over 35 this season.

Edited by frastheowl

3 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

Don’t think any other clubs that pay ridiculous wages would take him on.. Considering we pay some of the hours highest wages in this division; where else would he want to go?

No. No we don't. We are bang middle of the division in regards to wage bills. 

23 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiments, but I think you're totally ignoring the cost to replace him.

By getting rid of Fletcher, we're discarding a player who scores 30% of our goals, and is on the end of nearly 25% of the chances we create...and that's despite him missing two months of the season through injury.

Where do you suggest we look to replace that phenomenal contribution? Especially considering that, in all likelihood, we'll have lost Wickham, Windass, Winnall, Nuhiu and Da Cruz (hopefully Rhodes) from the squad....most that will need replacing.

Premiership youngsters on loan? With wage contribution equal to Fletchers plus a loan fee (and potential penalties for lack of game time). 

Up and coming strikers from League One or below? Say, for example, Ivan Toney, a player that'll cost upwards of £8m.

Any free transfers worth their salt won't come cheap, wage-wise, because they'll be subject to intense competition for their signature.

Of course, there'll be an element of risk with re-signing a 32 year old. But, I just think, given the huge changes the squad will be going through, it's probably a risk worth taking. But I'd absolutely look to offer him a longer deal, with a reduction in wages. But Fletcher's appearance record stacks up pretty well...in the last two seasons, he's only missed the last two months through injury. He played 40 Championship game last season, and is on course to play in over 35 this season.

Couldn't agree more, and as I posted earlier, Sharp, McGoldrick and Clarke weren't exactly spring chickens last year were they.