Fletcher New Deal?

19 minutes ago, torres said:

If (and sadly its a big if) both Fletcher and FF play 35 of our 46 games next season  - i think we'd be top 6

On their day they are as good as it gets in this league in my opinion and it would take a lot of money to replace them with equal quality.

The big gamble for the club is will they get 35 games out of them or is it better to get 3 or 4 players with less ability BUT will almost certainly be available for the full season*

*until they sign and the curse strikes!!

Spot on. Would you take the gamble ?

3 minutes ago, CF_Owl said:

He's a good player, but this season is almost his best of his career for goals in league competition. 1 more goal and it's his best season. Is his age and salary worth it? I hope the people at the club don't just base it on this season, it's short term thinking which has got us in to trouble in the first place. I like Fletcher but as I said, it's a tough call and these decisions can be huge for the club.

Fletcher has always played for struggling teams where goals are hard to come by. Team may only score 40 goals a season.  hard pushed to expect him to score half of them. 

I will be amazed if he has not signed a new two year deal in the next 10 days.

To be fair, Fletcher probably deserves a new deal, but it has to be affordable.

It depends on how much of a cut he's prepared to take, versus what's on offer elsewhere and length of contract. 

We've been down this road before and need to balance contribution as a whole, not just this season. Was this year the exception or the norm?

1 minute ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Spot on. Would you take the gamble ?

I suppose it depends on what the club has in place if anything should they not sign up.

As i said, they are almost impossible to replace like for like but if we have targets that have potential and within a good wage budget you would really have to think long and hard.

As players i really like Fletcher and FF so heart over head i would like to see them stay.

You just know with our luck that they would both breakdown and be out for 3 months each 

1 minute ago, torres said:

I suppose it depends on what the club has in place if anything should they not sign up.

As i said, they are almost impossible to replace like for like but if we have targets that have potential and within a good wage budget you would really have to think long and hard.

As players i really like Fletcher and FF so heart over head i would like to see them stay.

You just know with our luck that they would both breakdown and be out for 3 months each 

I agree and like you I would like them to stay, but as I said in another post we need 4 strikers who are capable. I believe if Monk gets his way the loan players will be here next year too so a 4 of Fletcher/Wickham Forestieri.Da Cruz is what we would be looking at and what I would be happy with,

2 minutes ago, torres said:

For me this is the big problem. We are stuck in a cycle of having to offer new contracts to the big wage players who can be unreliable because we haven't prepared. If we have targets lined up and are organised about it then let them go and we can move on (possibly even progress) as a club. If not, sign them up for another 2 years and repeat next time key/best players are out of contract again.

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Is that the start of us being sensible though. Especially with this particular player. Or is it the start of us becoming tinpot.

Tricky one with Fletcher admittedly, but it has to start somewhere.

After all being tinpot is better than being under embargo every year, or littered with expensive players who don't even play. 

1 hour ago, CF_Owl said:

I think it's a tough call. Yes he's having a good season but has scored about 10 goals in other seasons where he has played most games. Low number of assists too so not as if he makes it up in that way. If he is on high wages as is thought then unless he does take a cut I wouldn't offer. We are falling for the rise in form before a new contract. If he regresses back to average then he will be an expensive striker whos wages could have been spent on refreshing the team....as we all keeps saying needs to happen. If it ends up being a 1 year deal with a reduced wage then fair enough. Perhaps offer bonuses instead to play safe.

Not true mate.

Strip out the influence of penalties (didn’t take one last year) and his goals per minute was pretty much the same last season.

Absolute madness some people saying no, I can’t believe what I’m reading 

Yes we’ve had a history of this, but do we really put Fletcher in the same category as other charlatans we’ve had in the past? He’s a complete pro.

Look how we’ve struggled for any real identity in his absence, do you honestly think we’d bring someone in even half as good (and with our skeptical recruitment)? 

He’s worth a new contract regardless of age or our previous handing out of contracts to senior players. 

Just because we’ve had failings with this model previously doesn’t mean he’s not worth one. You can’t tarnish all with the same brush 

5 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Absolute madness some people saying no, I can’t believe what I’m reading 

Yes we’ve had a history of this, but do we really put Fletcher in the same category as other charlatans we’ve had in the past? He’s a complete pro.

Look how we’ve struggled for any real identity in his absence, do you honestly think we’d bring someone in even half as good (and with our skeptical recruitment)? 

He’s worth a new contract regardless of age or our previous handing out of contracts to senior players. 

Just because we’ve had failings with this model previously doesn’t mean he’s not worth one. You can’t tarnish all with the same brush 

Exactly and luckily I think the club will agree.

29 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Not true mate.

Strip out the influence of penalties (didn’t take one last year) and his goals per minute was pretty much the same last season.

What isn't true? That this is his best season for goals? Or that he scores about 10 when plays a good portion of the season?

He missed a penalty vs Villa last season.

Edited by CF_Owl

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

I'd offer him another year on his current terms, another 2 years on slightly reduced terms or 3 years on further reduced terms.

3 years!?!?!?! That is a long time to offer a contract to a 33 year old start of next season with a dodgy injury record even on reduced terms.
On balance I would probably offer Fletcher a new deal but hope all others (Hutchinson, FF, Nuhiu, Lee) get moved on.

Guest Bulgaria
2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

The only happy dressing room is a winning dressing room.

Tell that to

Jaap Stam

Beckham

Ince...

Etc etc

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

if he's within budget then its a no brainer to sign him up …...it would probably  cost a lot of money to replace him like  for like .

Bingo, yes we might be able to get someone on cheaper wages but in most cases there'll be a transfer fee on top

I'd say if we can keep him for 2 year for no more than 2.5m then that's great business. He's certainly got 2 years left in him at this level

I think some people are being too harsh on his injury record here. In 17-18 he only managed 19 league games but he played 40 in his 16-17 and 18-19 and then 24/35 this year. 

He's been our best player by a mile for the last 18 months. We've got to sign him up. 32 isn't past it for a striker these days if his game doesn't rely on pace.