Fletcher New Deal?

I’m not sure about this to be honest.

he has been fantastic this season and I am a massive fan but we’ve been down this road before. 

The club need to review the wage structure as a whole and unless Fletcher is on reduced terms then I don’t think it’s a good idea.

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I want him to stay

But I hope he's taking a pay cut

We've been down this road too many times paying big wages to people coming to the end of their careers

Sign him up yes, but on sensible wages

Totally agree Hoots but pretend your Fletcher, great form, scoring goals.....

Would you take a pay cut?

I fear will will lose him unless we at least match what ever he is on.

There will be a few who would take him, especially relegated clubs with parachute dosh.

Fletcher has the best hand.

Edited by Bulgaria

1 year deal only, and on reduced terms. 

We need to start being sensible with contracts after years of dreadful decisions,  and if it means a 33 year old leaves because he wants an extra year or 5 grand a week more, fair enough. 

Guest Bulgaria
29 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

yes hopefully on reduced terms but i think him and his representatives will understand that.

He could quite easily get 20 goals in a season where hes missed 2 months with injury,

And your last paragraph states exactly why his representative will understand why he will NOT take a pay cut.

As mentioned above hopefully on reduced terms but would like him to stay. Same with Forestieri.

Monk mentioned a while back that he had brought in the loan players with a long term view, so I would guess he is looking to get them back next year.... 4 striker of Forestieri Wickham Da Cruz & Fletcher, I would be happy with that. Good pre season behind them all can see there being goals there.

17 minutes ago, LittleG said:

Why give a new contract to a striker, who the majority agree, should never start a match. It's crazy!

Because he brings something different and on multiple occasions has changed games.  There isn't a striker in the league like him.  Certain teams just don't know how to handle him. 

8 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

We want to be signing players who are demanding to start every week.
Signing a player who is happy to be a squad player smacks of a player being complacent to me.

Also the 'Good in the dressing room' reason cuts no ice with me. We are paying a forward to score goals not be involved in banter in training.

Some Wednesday fans are far too sentimental.

With the greatest respect, a happy dressing room is a successful dressing room.  Talk to any player and they'll tell you that's the case.  

And it isn't about sentimentality.  Not every player in the squad will be a star, you need the water carriers.  If you have 25 players who all expect to start every week you'll start to create problems, you need to strike a balance.

Just not bothered...

All this aslong as Fletcher takes a pay cut stuff.

He is not going to take a pay cut. His stock is as high as its ever been for us.

Probably saying. I am a free transfer. Proved in the last year I am up there with the best in this division.  Dont insult me with a reduced terms contract.

And he would be totally right. And if we do muck about trying to be clever. He will probably sign for Aston Villa or Bournemouth if they come down. Score 20 league goals and fire them to promotion.

If he doesn't ask for a pay rise we done well in my eyes.

Edited by pazowl55

Would anyone on here take a pay cut because a customer of their employer thought they were getting paid to much?

He is worth what he is worth, if we cant afford him then we should let him go, if we can then we should ensure he stays.

If he goes and we save £2m a year in wages we still need someone better than we currently have so what do people suggest - go out and pay for someone new? Get someone good who is out of contract? How much will that cost? Lets keep Fletcher

23 minutes ago, Lee A said:

1 year deal only, and on reduced terms. 

We need to start being sensible with contracts after years of dreadful decisions,  and if it means a 33 year old leaves because he wants an extra year or 5 grand a week more, fair enough. 

Is that the start of us being sensible though. Especially with this particular player. Or is it the start of us becoming tinpot.

Guest LittleG
10 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Because he brings something different and on multiple occasions has changed games.  There isn't a striker in the league like him.  Certain teams just don't know how to handle him. 

With the greatest respect, a happy dressing room is a successful dressing room.  Talk to any player and they'll tell you that's the case.  

And it isn't about sentimentality.  Not every player in the squad will be a star, you need the water carriers.  If you have 25 players who all expect to start every week you'll start to create problems, you need to strike a balance.

Sorry but none of that cuts it with me. You don't keep a player because he his good for the dressing room. You don't keep a player who's not good enough to start a match, who can't run and is only effective for the last 15 mins when the opposition are tired. We need to move on, we need better. How about if we could bring a young striker on with pace instead. He has been effective in some games as a sub but he's still had his day and needs moving on.

24 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

The only happy dressing room is a winning dressing room.

If (and sadly its a big if) both Fletcher and FF play 35 of our 46 games next season  - i think we'd be top 6

On their day they are as good as it gets in this league in my opinion and it would take a lot of money to replace them with equal quality.

The big gamble for the club is will they get 35 games out of them or is it better to get 3 or 4 players with less ability BUT will almost certainly be available for the full season*

*until they sign and the curse strikes!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LittleG said:

Sorry but none of that cuts it with me. You don't keep a player because he his good for the dressing room. You don't keep a player who's not good enough to start a match, who can't run and is only effective for the last 15 mins when the opposition are tired. We need to move on, we need better. How about if we could bring a young striker on with pace instead. He has been effective in some games as a sub but he's still had his day and needs moving on.

Who are you bringing in then?  Someone on equal or less wages with no fee up front.  

As for comments like "can't run", that's just disrespectful.  Yes he might not be Usain Bolt, but that's not what he's in the team for.

Just not bothered...

I think it's a tough call. Yes he's having a good season but has scored about 10 goals in other seasons where he has played most games. Low number of assists too so not as if he makes it up in that way. If he is on high wages as is thought then unless he does take a cut I wouldn't offer. We are falling for the rise in form before a new contract. If he regresses back to average then he will be an expensive striker whos wages could have been spent on refreshing the team....as we all keeps saying needs to happen. If it ends up being a 1 year deal with a reduced wage then fair enough. Perhaps offer bonuses instead to play safe.

People say “would you take a pay cut?” as if this is a normal job.  A well structured deal over say 2 seasons with reduced basic but generous performance bonuses (and massive promotion bonus) may well prove attractive to Fletcher.  If not then, with regret, we have to part ways.

On a related point, a huge priority for next season is finding Fletcher’s replacement (unless we change style of play) to ensure we are not so hopelessly exposed in future when (inevitably) Fletcher misses games.

3 minutes ago, CF_Owl said:

I think it's a tough call. Yes he's having a good season but has scored about 10 goals in other seasons where he has played most games. Low number of assists too so not as if he makes it up in that way. If he is on high wages as is thought then unless he does take a cut I wouldn't offer. We are falling for the rise in form before a new contract. If he regresses back to average then he will be an expensive striker whos wages could have been spent on refreshing the team....as we all keeps saying needs to happen. If it ends up being a 1 year deal with a reduced wage then fair enough. Perhaps offer bonuses instead to play safe.

Fletcher has been brilliant for well over a year now. He is not all of a sudden finding form for a new contract.

If we have to give both him and Fox better deals than do so. And use the money saved by off loading the rest to pay for it.

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Fletcher has been brilliant for well over a year now. He is not all of a sudden finding form for a new contract.

If we have to give both him and Fox better deals than do so. And use the money saved by off loading the rest to pay for it.

He's a good player, but this season is almost his best of his career for goals in league competition. 1 more goal and it's his best season. Is his age and salary worth it? I hope the people at the club don't just base it on this season, it's short term thinking which has got us in to trouble in the first place. I like Fletcher but as I said, it's a tough call and these decisions can be huge for the club.

Guest LittleG
5 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Who are you bringing in then?  Someone on equal or less wages with no fee up front.  

As for comments like "can't run", that's just disrespectful.  Yes he might not be Usain Bolt, but that's not what he's in the team for.

I'm not responsible for recruitment and do not have any control over finances, but this notion that we have to keep a player because he's cheap it's crazy.  Usain Bolt? What are you going on about. I'm not being disrespectful by commenting on his running ability, but I think the majority on here would agree about his "lack of pace". If you're happy for him to stay that's your opinion; I want to see Wednesday progress and if we did keep him, then for me we are not moving forward.