Fletcher’s best season?

2 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

When you see Wickham and Fletcher together in context.. Fletcher looks more like a Prem player.. can we afford him?

When I remember Wickham when he was with us previously he played with the same intensity and pace that Fletcher showed last night...those injuries have taken their toll

Consistently by far our best striker, not just in goals but also in his effectiveness for the team and bringing others into play. We seem a much better team when he plays, not sure why but we clearly missed him and he's consistently one of our better players. If possible, I'd keep him and look at bringing in some more legs and creativity into the team to get even more out of him, next season, if he stays fit.

1 hour ago, daveyboy66 said:

When I remember Wickham when he was with us previously he played with the same intensity and pace that Fletcher showed last night...those injuries have taken their toll

It seems that way doesn't it. 

Fletcher has just spent the best part of two months out with a bad injury but came on and showed Wickham how it should be done. We needed someone to fill in for Fletcher and a fit Wickham should have been ideal but sadly he looks very cumbersome at the moment.

2 hours ago, Mat-Owl said:

Trouble is Fletcher is the only one who can score consistently, we may have to pay him what he wants in the summer or pay a mega transfer fee for someone else. We all know how that went with Rhodes & a lesser extent Winnal!!

Why?  Don’t think we can afford to carry on paying Fletcher’s current salary and there’s no way we are going to spend big.  Maybe we should do what others have done with some success and look for young players with potential in the lower leagues. Personally I think the sooner we adopt this approach, the better it will be for the long term future of the club.

Fletcher has been excellent this season, and deserves the offer of a new contract, but has to be on reduced terms with performance / appearance related incentives.  

4 hours ago, poite said:

Think this is the issue. 

We can't offer a 2 year deal on far more money than most of the rest of the squad for someone who's been 'a decent signing'. 

Doesn't exactly sit well with all the other decent signings we have and it would impact team morale etc. 

You need to be a significant cut above the rest to warrant having such a bigger salary 

Exactly. This has been one of our biggest problems I think

5 hours ago, S26 Owl said:

If any of our players are signed on new contracts on more than 15k we seriously need to give our head a wobble. Our wage bill is astronomical and it needs sorting ASAP. Wage structure needs sorting out

Vast majority of fans including myself agree. However, only certain clubs will be able to come out of it stronger - those with the correct people in place at the club i.e Director’s of football. This re structure needs to begin from the bottom up, unfortunately our academy is dire compared to many clubs in the efl, this is where we should begin.

1 hour ago, Steve Down South said:

Why?  Don’t think we can afford to carry on paying Fletcher’s current salary and there’s no way we are going to spend big.  Maybe we should do what others have done with some success and look for young players with potential in the lower leagues. Personally I think the sooner we adopt this approach, the better it will be for the long term future of the club.

Fletcher has been excellent this season, and deserves the offer of a new contract, but has to be on reduced terms with performance / appearance related incentives.  

This is by far his best season, probably because he became fully fit,  but he has missed a lot of matches while here and his scoring rate over his career has not been great. Caution over more than one more year.

5 hours ago, Bulgaria said:

I can't see him accepting a drop in wages.

Many a championship club would pay large wages for Fletcher, especially ones with parachute payments.

Thankfully, he seems to like Sheffield and the club so that will help in our favor.

When you think about it, we’ve got one of the two striker positions costing us £35k per week. The other striker position is costing us the wages of Rhodes, FF, Wickham, Nuhiu and Winnall, so roughly £120k per week.

5 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

When someone says to you say them three magic words. 

Do you say.  

Goals per minute.

lol

1 hour ago, The Night-Owl said:

Wouldn't be at all surprised, if 'goals per minute' were in his wedding vows or ended up on his tombstone... :ph34r::ghoulguy:

Good job I don’t bruise easily.

• Like 1

He made a real difference when he came on.

The way he brought the ball down for that first effort was brilliant.

He works so hard too and links things up, constantly gets at the opposition.

Really is an excellent player.

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

He made a real difference when he came on.

The way he brought the ball down for that first effort was brilliant.

He works so hard too and links things up, constantly gets at the opposition.

Really is an excellent player.

Think that's the key. Links things up. Bannan proper trusts him. Pings balls into his feet all the time and looks for the return. Rarely does he do that with other strikers just looks for a killer pass or looks to create an angle to cross into the box.