Jump to content
Holmowl

Fletcher’s best season?

Recommended Posts

In other threads we’ve be lauding Fletcher. Quite rightly too.

 

But, how much better has he been this season compared to his other Wednesday years?

 

Strikers get judged first and foremost by goals. I’ve stripped out penalties* to compare his open-play:-

 

19/20 - 1909 mins - 9 goals - goal every 212 mins (*Also 4 pens so total 13)

 

18/19 - 2535 mins - 11 goals - goal every 230 mins

 

17/18 - 1070 mins - 2 goals - goal every 535 mins 

 

16/17 - 2192 mins - 9 goals - goal every 242 mins (*Also 2 pens so total 11)


So purely judged on goals this season has been his best, but actually not by as much as I imagined. 
 

*Anticipating the ”so penalties don’t count?” posts, yes of course they do. But in comparing a striker’s scoring success season for season its daft to compare seasons where he took pens with seasons when he didn’t.
 

He has been outstanding this season. He has led the line superbly, and we have completely fallen apart without him. 
 

A few milestones round the corner. Fingers crossed he stays fit:-

 

Most goals for a club - 40 Hibs, 38 Owls, 24 Wolves, 23 Sunderland

 

Most apps for a club - 140 Hibs, 132 Owls, 108 Sunderland, 67 Wolves

 

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair he had a good season at Butlins Bognor 2003 where he was in charge of entertainment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worth another year but not on the wages he currently is on, reported to be one of our top earners at the club and we need to cut our cloth accordingly. If he is happy to stay but on reduced terms then resign him. If not thank you for the last 18 months and we look to freshen the striker department up in the summer with some younger and more mobile strikers.

 

He has got better with age but we have had only got 24 of 36 games out of him this season, last season he played 40 games but the one before on 19 games. His injury record is not great and as he gets older he will probably take longer to come back from injuries and pick up more niggles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If any of our players are signed on new contracts on more than 15k we seriously need to give our head a wobble. Our wage bill is astronomical and it needs sorting ASAP. Wage structure needs sorting out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’ll want more than a year and will get it elsewhere if we don’t offer 2.

 

Assuming he’s on 35k a week I’d offer 1 year at that or 2 at 25k. The latter basically means we get to keep him for the 2nd year for about 800k more and the incentive for the pay cut to him is the contract is worth more overall than a single year at his current wage 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, S26 Owl said:

If any of our players are signed on new contracts on more than 15k we seriously need to give our head a wobble. Our wage bill is astronomical and it needs sorting ASAP. Wage structure needs sorting out

 

Then it’s bye bye Steven Fletcher.

 

i don’t mind the odd person being on 25k a week as long as the average wage comes down which it will with our out of contract players 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

He'd have smashed his seasons best if he hadn't missed those games. 10 was it? Feels like more!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ll have to offer him at least a two year deal and in all fairness he probably deserves it. He has been a decent signing regardless of his alleged salary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So penalties don’t count in the same way corners don’t count for assists

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see him accepting a drop in wages.

 

Many a championship club would pay large wages for Fletcher, especially ones with parachute payments.

 

Thankfully, he seems to like Sheffield and the club so that will help in our favor.

 

 

Edited by Bulgaria

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd personally be ok paying him what he's on now. He's just a model professional and will always give 100% for whatever team he plays for. Found his best career form atm so think I'd be silly to give up on that 

 

Looking to release a lot though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

28 minutes ago, S26 Owl said:

If any of our players are signed on new contracts on more than 15k we seriously need to give our head a wobble. Our wage bill is astronomical and it needs sorting ASAP. Wage structure needs sorting out

 

Our average wage was just over £15k in 2018 and we've shed some high earners since then, so we are well within that margin. We aren't even in the Top 8 for wages, I think you need to reassess what you think the average championship wage is currently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you see Wickham and Fletcher together in context.. Fletcher looks more like a Prem player.. can we afford him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

We’ll have to offer him at least a two year deal and in all fairness he probably deserves it. He has been a decent signing regardless of his alleged salary.

Think this is the issue. 

 

We can't offer a 2 year deal on far more money than most of the rest of the squad for someone who's been 'a decent signing'. 

 

Doesn't exactly sit well with all the other decent signings we have and it would impact team morale etc. 

 

You need to be a significant cut above the rest to warrant having such a bigger salary 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

In other threads we’ve be lauding Fletcher. Quite rightly too.

 

But, how much better has he been this season compared to his other Wednesday years?

 

Strikers get judged first and foremost by goals. I’ve stripped out penalties* to compare his open-play:-

 

19/20 - 1909 mins - 9 goals - goal every 212 mins (*Also 4 pens so total 13)

 

18/19 - 2535 mins - 11 goals - goal every 230 mins

 

17/18 - 1070 mins - 2 goals - goal every 535 mins 

 

16/17 - 2192 mins - 9 goals - goal every 242 mins (*Also 2 pens so total 11)


So purely judged on goals this season has been his best, but actually not by as much as I imagined. 
 

*Anticipating the ”so penalties don’t count?” posts, yes of course they do. But in comparing a striker’s scoring success season for season its daft to compare seasons where he took pens with seasons when he didn’t.
 

He has been outstanding this season. He has led the line superbly, and we have completely fallen apart without him. 
 

A few milestones round the corner. Fingers crossed he stays fit:-

 

Most goals for a club - 40 Hibs, 38 Owls, 24 Wolves, 23 Sunderland

 

Most apps for a club - 140 Hibs, 132 Owls, 108 Sunderland, 67 Wolves

 

 

When someone says to you say them three magic words. 

 

Do you say.  

 

Goals per minute.

 

lol

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

When you see Wickham and Fletcher together in context.. Fletcher looks more like a Prem player.. can we afford him?

Epitomised by the header the keeper pulled a great save from...Fletcher out wide...gets the ball...passes it on heads for space in the middle

Wickham never does it..Nuhiu never does it...

Fletcher realised, the wide men he had just supported , needed a target in the box...So thats where he went. 

He has a footballing brain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So do the mins up there include the pens or is it better than the 212 mins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trouble is Fletcher is the only one who can score consistently, we may have to pay him what he wants in the summer or pay a mega transfer fee for someone else. We all know how that went with Rhodes & a lesser extent Winnal!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feck it, I’d do a 2 year deal on marginally reduced terms. That’ll take him to 34, he seems in great shape physically and is one of the best strikers in the league. Absolute no brainer and we wouldn’t bring in anyone half as good to replace him 

Edited by FreshOwl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...